Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Stendhal

by Stendhal

polpy wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:12 pm
Any CNY discounts this year?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Don't know about that but the nice people at LB sent me a CNY present for supporting their wheels which I was happy to do. It has not arrived but the shipping label says it is a scarf.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

emotive

by emotive

uppis wrote:Also WR50 behaves so nicely with wind that would be really interested in WR65 in Falcon Pro, preferably with UCI approval.
I ran 28mm Corsa TLR on WR50 and then on WR65 when I upgraded. I ride them even on strong wind days, and they are well behaved, but I would not recommend for a windy location or a small rider.

I ran 32mm Soecialized Roubaix tyres on the WR50 for a year before I sold them. Also a well behaved tyre and wheel combination. Fast on light gravel.

I am now running 28mm GP5000 S TR on the WR65, as is the guy I sold the WR50 to. Great tyre and wheel combination.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

polpy

by polpy

Stendhal wrote:
polpy wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:12 pm
Any CNY discounts this year?

Don't know about that but the nice people at LB sent me a CNY present for supporting their wheels which I was happy to do. It has not arrived but the shipping label says it is a scarf.
I was just asking because last year they had a pretty nice sale where i got a set for an insane price, but it seems this wont happen again.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

emotive wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:26 am
uppis wrote:Also WR50 behaves so nicely with wind that would be really interested in WR65 in Falcon Pro, preferably with UCI approval.
I ran 28mm Corsa TLR on WR50 and then on WR65 when I upgraded. I ride them even on strong wind days, and they are well behaved, but I would not recommend for a windy location or a small rider.
To exclude unnecessary information of how. I'll just go straight to the fact that my old LB wheelset (56/65) was sold with my old bike and I'm left with WR65 front and shallow gravel bike's rear wheel while waiting for my new WR50 set that is coming from China.

Three weeks ago, the wind is 16-22 km/h and is gusty. This reveal the worst case possible. Deep front wheel catch the wind but rear is shallow so it isn't helping to counter balance the bike. I struggle to handle the bike straight at low speed so I have to speed up to keep the bike easier to control. Below 28 km/h is hard to manage. But raise the speed above 32 km/h, both increased momentum and straightened yaw angle make handling non issue.

Still, I'm looking forward to the day I have rear wheel as deep as the front or deeper. I miss those counter balance help from deep rear wheel.

tekhna

by tekhna

Curious if others have compared your Light rims to something like We Are One? Light Bicycle is obviously still a good value but something like the We Are One Revive isn't much more these days and is entirely made in Canada.

polpy

by polpy

What finish on LB would look similar to that of Enve? Satin or just regular UD. I cant decide based on pictures because the differences are too big.

garbageman

by garbageman

polpy wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:16 am
What finish on LB would look similar to that of Enve? Satin or just regular UD. I cant decide based on pictures because the differences are too big.

UD Paintless

UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

Hexsense wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:00 pm
To exclude unnecessary information of how. I'll just go straight to the fact that my old LB wheelset (56/65) was sold with my old bike and I'm left with WR65 front and shallow gravel bike's rear wheel while waiting for my new WR50 set that is coming from China.

Three weeks ago, the wind is 16-22 km/h and is gusty. This reveal the worst case possible. Deep front wheel catch the wind but rear is shallow so it isn't helping to counter balance the bike. I struggle to handle the bike straight at low speed so I have to speed up to keep the bike easier to control. Below 28 km/h is hard to manage. But raise the speed above 32 km/h, both increased momentum and straightened yaw angle make handling non issue.

Still, I'm looking forward to the day I have rear wheel as deep as the front or deeper. I miss those counter balance help from deep rear wheel.
Why not order WR50 for front and WR65 for rear? btw, is it their best and most modern road config? There is also a nice combo of AR56 (front - 23int,30ext.) + WR65 (25int+32ext), @I'm guessing 1.496g
Last edited by UrgentDelay on Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mashiehood

by mashiehood

I have a pair of WR35 (front) and WR50 (rear) for sale in rim only if anyone interested. 24 holes with no spoke holes (no rim tape needed).

Hexsense

by Hexsense

UrgentDelay wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:53 am
Hexsense wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:00 pm

Why not order WR50 for front and WR65 for rear? btw, is it their best and most modern road config? There is also a nice combo of AR56 (front - 23int,30ext.) + WR65 (25int+32ext), @I'm guessing 1.496g
I could. But I don't see my existing front 65mm LB with alloy spokes to be a potential pair with new carbon spokes set anyway.

I'm coming from SystemSix to SuperSix. I want to feel more different in snappi-ness. That's why I just go for a pair of 50/50 because it is lighter.
LB is trying to up the road market with AR565. However, I don't see much value from that more expensive-to-make design yet. And my road is bad enough to just go for the wider WR50 rather than the seemingly more aero AR565.

UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

Hexsense wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:39 pm
I could. But I don't see my existing front 65mm LB with alloy spokes to be a potential pair with new carbon spokes set anyway.

I'm coming from SystemSix to SuperSix. I want to feel more different in snappi-ness. That's why I just go for a pair of 50/50 because it is lighter.
LB is trying to up the road market with AR565. However, I don't see much value from that more expensive-to-make design yet. And my road is bad enough to just go for the wider WR50 rather than the seemingly more aero AR565.
But AR565 won't even be more aero unless you'd be using a 25cc tire, they'll be too narrow for 28cc. One could also go with WR50 + AR56 for being comfy, more aero with wider tires and still decently light. Are the

Hexsense

by Hexsense

UrgentDelay wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:41 pm

But AR565 won't even be more aero unless you'd be using a 25cc tire, they'll be too narrow for 28cc. One could also go with WR50 + AR56 for being comfy, more aero with wider tires and still decently light. Are the
If AR56 can be considered aero. AR565 would be too.
It's also 30mm external width like AR56. But inner width is only 21mm so the the tire mounted even narrower.
28mm tires won't be as oversized like on 25mm internal width.

toxin

by toxin

28mm measured is pushing it for aero on 565. That profile would ideally have a slightly narrower tire than the rim edge but can make a slightly wider tire work somewhat. On 56 as long as you're not wider than 30 you're probably good, as soon as you go past that it's ruined.

UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

toxin wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:16 pm
28mm measured is pushing it for aero on 565. That profile would ideally have a slightly narrower tire than the rim edge but can make a slightly wider tire work somewhat. On 56 as long as you're not wider than 30 you're probably good, as soon as you go past that it's ruined.
This exactly. I've checked now 28cc GP5000 S TR measures 29.7@21ID>28mm-AR565, 30.8@23ID>30mm-AR565 AND 31.3mm@25ID<32mm-WR50, so only WR50 would be aero with a 28mm tire.

So the most aero option is WR50 front + AR56 rear. This should come at around 1400g for the lightest option. This setup would be actually similar to HUNT SUB50.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TiCass

by TiCass

My 28mm Vittoria Corsa Pro measures 28.5mm on my AR55 which are 21mm internal and 30mm external.
30mm/28.5 = 1.052