Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
mrlobber

by mrlobber

txg wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:55 pm
Any news on this? Did you try the UFO with a tubeless tire?
Yes. With Corsa Speed (which was the original tyre I intended to use it with). Maybe helped a little, but generally no. It looks like the hub axle is somehow not straight, bent internally or something like that. The wheel is going back. LB said they already started producing another one for me, we'll see.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

TTRV wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:31 pm
mpulsiv wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:43 pm
mpulsiv wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:15 am
I'm surprised that my AR375 Falcon Pro are rubbing on the chainstay (non-drive side).
www.lightbicycle.com/AR375-Non-Disc-X-F ... -700C.html

A combination of CX-Sprint spokes on drive side and wide flange on Bitex RAR9 is a solid combo. Any pointers as to why the wheel is rubbing? The flex is ~3mm when I'm climbing out of saddle. Is there a guarantee that AR465 will reduce flex since it's deeper?
Any suggestions how to remedy this? Perhaps LB can rebuild or let me upgrade?
1) Re-lace the wheel with CX-Sprint spokes all-around (drive side + non-drive side) = extra stiffness
2) Replace flyweight rim with standard = extra stiffness?
According to their blog, flyweight is stiffer due to mix of Toray T700 (standard) + Toray T800 (flyweight) layers https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter ... -Rims.html
3) Upgrade to deeper AR465 rim = extra stiffness
Your wheels are probably not lacking stiffness, quite the opposite actually. You might want to read that: https://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Debunki ... _3449.html

I'd say it's actually your frame's chainstays that aren't stiff enough for the wheel.
Other option could be that the spokes aren't stiff enough for the rim given the thin margin between the frame and the wheel. Solution could be to go for stiffer spokes but definitely not stiffer rim.

Have you ever ridden wheels that wide on this bike before?
Before I point a finger at softer chainstays on Canyon Ultimate SL8, I'd like to toy with a idea to re-lace the non-drive side with same CX-Sprint spokes.
I came across an old thread viewtopic.php?start=15&t=151399#p1397467 with simple explanation:

• If the rim is not stiff enough, it will bend when exposed to large lateral force.
• If the rim is stiffer than the spokes, it will pivot around the hub causing to deflect and rub on the brake pads and/or chainstays.

Based on my understanding, CX-Ray (non-drive side) should be replaced with CX-Sprint to reduce the flex. Is this a viable solution?
It's hard to believe that widely used CX-Ray is the problem. Perhaps the flex would be marginally less if the rim was laced with CX-Ray all around?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Flyweight hooked WR50 w/DT 240 EXP, Sapim CX-Rays, no spoke access holes. 1360g

https://i.imgur.com/c7486H9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/lUqMBxV.jpg

32mm GP5K S TRs measure ~33.5mm.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

I checked spoke tension for shit & giggles. Tension on NDS seem really low (e.g., 54 KGF). Is this acceptable?

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

@mpulsiv, the tension ratio in kgf is about 50%. Higher would be better, but this is not uncommon. Just the state of rear hubs dealing with 11, 12 speeds, etc. One solution is an asymmetric rear rim but that's a bit funky. I have gone with deeper wheels to get better bracing angles which seems to help. I have one bike with limited clearance that required me to just tighten the drive side spokes a half a turn each and that dealt with a potential rub issue. Basically just a crude redishing.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:57 am

28mm GP5K S TRs measure ~31mm.

warthog101

by warthog101

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:38 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:57 am

28mm GP5K S TRs measure ~31mm.
Wow, the 32 GP5k is much smaller than the Michy power road in a 32 on my hookless WR50s. It measures 35mm fitted.
The 28mm p zero race on the front is 31mm also.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I have a set of AR46 rims coming for my 2015 Emonda. Looking forward to rebuilding my wheels with these rims with a set of DT Swiss 240 hubs (Bontrager branding).

escott

by escott

I'll be ordering a set of wheels soon with carbon spokes. Rims will be WR65 flyweight.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Light Bicycle hub? I haven't been able to find much info about it.

Options are:
Bitex 312 + Carbon spokes (with the extra adapter piece so 3.9 g/spoke)

Light Bicycle Speed-Hub + Flyweight carbon spokes (2.8g/spoke)

Which would you pick and why?

Thanks for any thoughts!

wwnero

by wwnero

FIJIGabe wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:44 pm
I have a set of AR46 rims coming for my 2015 Emonda. Looking forward to rebuilding my wheels with these rims with a set of DT Swiss 240 hubs (Bontrager branding).
Do those hubs use the dt Swiss proprietary T head spokes or regular spokes?

escott

by escott

escott wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:09 pm
I'll be ordering a set of wheels soon with carbon spokes. Rims will be WR65 flyweight.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Light Bicycle hub? I haven't been able to find much info about it.

Options are:
Bitex 312 + Carbon spokes (with the extra adapter piece so 3.9 g/spoke)

Light Bicycle Speed-Hub + Flyweight carbon spokes (2.8g/spoke)

Which would you pick and why?

Thanks for any thoughts!
So I asked Light Bicycle the same question, here is their response:

"The race-edition version carbon spokes for LB speedhubs would be more bladed, with better aerodynamic performance and stiffer."

So I guess I'd take the LB hub given price is about the same. And they have XDR freehubs available in case anyone was wondering.

bsharp77

by bsharp77

bsharp77 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:54 am
Just oredered a set of R25 wheels.

Rim brake, grooved graphene braking surface
UD Braided finish
Oil Slick Brass Nipples
CX-Ray Spokes
Bitex RAF Hubs
Oil Slick Decals

Should really compliment by TCR SL build. Wheels wont be here for 6-8 weeks due to holidays and delivery, but worth waiting for.
Just had photos through of the wheels, cannot wait to try them out.

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

That's some really nice wheels!

This oil slick is looking amazing

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Is light bicycle wheels weight accurate?

I'm interested in the falcon Pro ar25 wheel set, supposed to be around 1022g for a disc wheels set

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Mcdeez wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:04 am
Is light bicycle wheels weight accurate?

I'm interested in the falcon Pro ar25 wheel set, supposed to be around 1022g for a disc wheels set

Claimed weight for my WR50s was 1368g+/-25g. Actual weight was 1360g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com