Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
MichaelK

by MichaelK

gwilson wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 2:20 pm
Has anyone ever shipped their own hubs to Light Bicycle and had them build up a wheelset for you? I have a pair of cracked rims with DT Swiss 240 hubs where I want to keep the hubs, so would rather just buy new rims/spokes and get the built up with my existing hubs
You don't have any local builders you trust? Would save on shipping. Just order the rims and source spokes locally, I can get trade on DT Swiss and Sapim. I'm just about to order rims from LB in AR55 & AR35.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gwilson

by gwilson

MichaelK wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 3:46 pm
gwilson wrote:
Has anyone ever shipped their own hubs to Light Bicycle and had them build up a wheelset for you? I have a pair of cracked rims with DT Swiss 240 hubs where I want to keep the hubs, so would rather just buy new rims/spokes and get the built up with my existing hubs
You don't have any local builders you trust? Would save on shipping. Just order the rims and source spokes locally, I can get trade on DT Swiss and Sapim. I'm just about to order rims from LB in AR55 & AR35.
I haven't used any before, but I'm in a big city so I'm sure there are some around. I just assumed that getting them built in the factory would be the best option, and that I'd probably save a bit on the cost of spokes and nipples. Looking online it seems like I'd be paying $100+ per wheel to get them built locally plus spokes and nipples, so I assumed it might be cheaper just to get it done through light bicycle.

jlok

by jlok

gwilson wrote:
Yes I did. Sent them a Bora Ultra WTO rear hub to lace with a WR65 rim. Of course they need my hub to measure and calculate the spoke holes spacing and angle.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

garbageman

by garbageman

Seems like a waste to send the hubs in. I'd just order the rims and have them built locally.

oLLeg

by oLLeg

I reconsidered my opinion about riding AR45 in crosswind. When wind gusts 6-10m/s could not keep straight line.
Now I dewsperataly want low profile light wheels. I would even go with tubeless ( my Cube Agree C:62 Race frame clerance is 30mm), but I ride outside when it's dry and most of the time I'm away from home, so remaining days, when wet, I preffer to ride on the indoor trainer.With tubeless I will be only changing dried sealant :)

jlok

by jlok

oLLeg wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 3:53 pm
I reconsidered my opinion about riding AR45 in crosswind. When wind gusts 6-10m/s could not keep straight line.
Now I dewsperataly want low profile light wheels. I would even go with tubeless ( my Cube Agree C:62 Race frame clerance is 30mm), but I ride outside when it's dry and most of the time I'm away from home, so remaining days, when wet, I preffer to ride on the indoor trainer.With tubeless I will be only changing dried sealant :)
Curious about which tire and rider/bike system weight?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

oLLeg

by oLLeg

jlok wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 3:56 pm
oLLeg wrote:
I ride on LB AR45, Conti GP5k 28mm tires. Rider weight is 74kg. Bike- Cube Agree C:62 Race, Ultegra Di2, 12sp. Bike weight 7.8kg without spares and bottles

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

I'm currently considering a AR25 wheelset for my TCR Adv SL.

My weight is between 78-82 kg (172-180 lbs) and I largely ride in an area with short to medium length climbs (1-5 km). My sprint is literally non existant.

I'm eyeying the 24/24 Version with DT Swiss 240 EXP or Carbon Ti hubs (using the Sapim CX Ray/Sprint combo for the rear wheel).

Do you think stiffness and power Transfer would be good enough given my weight? Or should I rather go 24/28 and opt for the reinforced version of the rims?

And: Would you recommend the Carbon-Ti hubs? I was happy with 240s in the past but would like to try something new.

Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

emotive

by emotive

oLLeg wrote:
jlok wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 3:56 pm
oLLeg wrote:
I ride on LB AR45, Conti GP5k 28mm tires. Rider weight is 74kg. Bike- Cube Agree C:62 Race, Ultegra Di2, 12sp. Bike weight 7.8kg without spares and bottles
try a 25mm tyre on the front for smoother tyre wheel transition. It will result in better behavior at yaw angles above 5%.

oLLeg

by oLLeg

luckypuncheur wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 10:35 am
May I ask which tires are planning to go with?

jlok

by jlok

I agree. The P Zero Race 26mm is "perfect" fit at 28.4mm WAM with AR45.

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

oLLeg wrote:
luckypuncheur wrote:
Sure. GP5K S TR 28 (transparent). Image

Gesendet von meinem SM-S901B mit Tapatalk

Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

otnemem

by otnemem

luckypuncheur wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 6:33 pm
oLLeg wrote:
luckypuncheur wrote:
Sure. GP5K S TR 28 (transparent). Image
I too am considering that combo for later in the year. But I would build the wheelset with Extralite SPD-3s and DT Swiss Aerolite spokes.

25mm 5K TR is probably too narrow for that rim.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

otnemem wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 9:49 am

I’m using 25mm GP5K TTs on my AR25s. They end up around 28.8mm wide at 70psi, but they definitely don’t have much height to them.
Attachments
5F303D61-8B97-4A7F-A06D-8AFBC456C20B.jpeg

otnemem

by otnemem

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 9:53 am
otnemem wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 9:49 am

I’m using 25mm GP5K TTs on my AR25s. They end up around 28.8mm wide at 70psi, but they definitely don’t have much height to them.
Well, I could certainly ride with that. They'll be exclusively for the 4000+m granfondos, mostly on decently tarmac'd roads so I should be OK.

Gorgeous bike with that wheelset, exactly like that, btw.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com