Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
kofsw4

by kofsw4

Had a search through this thread but wondered if anybody had any updated experience of running flyweight LB rims on gravel?

I have a set of flyweight WR38s that I'm thinking about repurposing to my gravel bike (with eg 40-45mm tyres). I'm 70kg but remember LB asking what kind of surface I'd be riding them on when I ordered so wondering if they're too fragile for chunky off road?

mashiehood

by mashiehood

ran a WR set on gravel for two years in flyweight version - 65kg and on some terrain that could qualify for XC MTB! no issues,

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

jlok wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:11 pm
Hexsense wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:29 am
toxin wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:48 am
I've not heard of any failures with proper carbon spoke wheels
Yep.
I only count oversized carbon spokes that require special hub as properly done carbon spoke wheels at this point.

Carbon fiber can be brittle if it's too small of a piece. Making it large oversized cross section eliminate that durability Issue. But then it become overly stiff so it's better to reduce spoke count down. So... a hub which allow oversized carbon spokes natively (without requiring the weak joint connector) and have lace pattern for less spoke count sound like a requirement for me.

Making carbon spokes fitting normal hub sound like a bodge IMO. It's like making a carbon bike frame with all their tube as thin and slim as a steel bike. The shape just doesn't fit the material.
What is the consequence of lower spoke count to the rim? Stronger rim needed as spokes are spanning over a longer distance?
Just realized I haven't reply this.
Yes that's right, all things equal rim have to be stiffer. But nothing have to be done on modern deep and wide carbon rims because they are plenty stiff. Even 16 spokes is a piece of cake for something at least 45mm deep and 28mm wide or more. We had 16-20 spokes back in rim brake days when technology isn't as advanced as today.

Very shallow mtb rims (less than 24mm deep) is another story though. Some are engineered to flex for better compliance and need 28 spokes to keep it stable.

CamW

by CamW

16-20 spoke rim brake wheels didn't also require the spokes to transmit braking loads in the same way as disc brakes do.

Prippo

by Prippo

I currently have a set of LB AR56 that I really enjoy but sometimes I feel they are a bit nervous in the crosswind. Therefore I am on the lookout for something a bit shallower with more of a U-profile. The main contenders are flyweight LB AR35 (CX-Ray spokes/Bitex hubs) and Farsports Hyper 35 (CX-Ray spokes/RD261 hubs). The Farsports are slightly cheaper and around 50g lighter. Am I correct thinking this is basically a coin toss or is there a clear winner in terms of quality? I somehow get the feeling that LB are more "tried and tested" whereas FS thrive on their reputation from influencers.

toxin

by toxin

farsports

safd009

by safd009

I'm curious why such a big change in depth? I have the AR465 and I think the crosswind performance is good. I'm smaller at under 70kg with no fancy bike handling skills.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Prippo wrote:I currently have a set of LB AR56 that I really enjoy but sometimes I feel they are a bit nervous in the crosswind. Therefore I am on the lookout for something a bit shallower with more of a U-profile. The main contenders are flyweight LB AR35 (CX-Ray spokes/Bitex hubs) and Farsports Hyper 35 (CX-Ray spokes/RD261 hubs). The Farsports are slightly cheaper and around 50g lighter. Am I correct thinking this is basically a coin toss or is there a clear winner in terms of quality? I somehow get the feeling that LB are more "tried and tested" whereas FS thrive on their reputation from influencers.
I would go with falcon pro ar375 xflow in paintless finish. Choose your spokes and hub. These in my experience are very well made rims and a perfect depth for all around performance. I'm sure Farsports are pretty similar, but LB imo grew their quality over the years at a faster rate than FS.
This is my opinion of rims only. Not builds.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Prippo

by Prippo

wheelbuilder wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 7:47 pm
Prippo wrote:I currently have a set of LB AR56 that I really enjoy but sometimes I feel they are a bit nervous in the crosswind. Therefore I am on the lookout for something a bit shallower with more of a U-profile. The main contenders are flyweight LB AR35 (CX-Ray spokes/Bitex hubs) and Farsports Hyper 35 (CX-Ray spokes/RD261 hubs). The Farsports are slightly cheaper and around 50g lighter. Am I correct thinking this is basically a coin toss or is there a clear winner in terms of quality? I somehow get the feeling that LB are more "tried and tested" whereas FS thrive on their reputation from influencers.
I would go with falcon pro ar375 xflow in paintless finish. Choose your spokes and hub. These in my experience are very well made rims and a perfect depth for all around performance. I'm sure Farsports are pretty similar, but LB imo grew their quality over the years at a faster rate than FS.
Thanks for your input! I have actually placed an order for a set of Farsports Hyper 35 with cx-ray spokes and RD261 hubs. Main reasons for going with Farsports was that they ended up being $150 cheaper and that they are wider (24/30 instead of 21/28). Always fun to try something new as well.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Prippo wrote:
wheelbuilder wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 7:47 pm
Thanks for your input! I have actually placed an order for a set of Farsports Hyper 35 with cx-ray spokes and RD261 hubs. Main reasons for going with Farsports was that they ended up being $150 cheaper and that they are wider (24/30 instead of 21/28). Always fun to try something new as well.
Good for you man. Enjoy them and report back! New wheels are always fun.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

QuackMD

by QuackMD

I'm currently deciding between the AR45 and AR55 rims for my Giant Propel but I can't seem to make up my mind. Given the Propel's aero shape, the AR55 would be a good match but I am worried about the crosswind stability. Having limited experience with deep carbon wheels, I was hoping some of you could help me. If you were in my shoes, which rim model would you pick and what would your reasoning be?

stalkersk

by stalkersk

Why not WR series, IMO they are a bit more future proof. I have WR65 more than two years and they are very stable even on the windiest days.

QuackMD

by QuackMD

With the WR series I'm afraid the tire might be too wide due to the bigger internal width. In the Propel topic, someone posted pics of 28mm tires on 24int/30ext rims and they have about 3mm of space between the tire and the chainstays/seattube which I consider the minimum. 1mm is not much but given the Propel's tire clearance, it might be just a hair too much.

If you have any experience fitting the WR series rims/wheels to a MY2023 Propel, I would love to hear it :D .

jlok

by jlok

With the rims being so cheap, I think the point of future proof is moot or of very low priority.

Having said that, unless you dislike the look of AR465/565, I think they are better rims than AR45/55 from the strength and finishing. I have both AR45 and 565 and the finishing is better on 565. For the strength, it is told from LB customer service when I want to repurpose my Campy rear hub. They said 565 is stronger than 55. Not saying AR45/55 is weak as I had toured on a broken AR45 rim without issue.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

QuackMD

by QuackMD

jlok wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 8:27 am
With the rims being so cheap, I think the point of future proof is moot or of very low priority.

Having said that, unless you dislike the look of AR465/565, I think they are better rims than AR45/55 from the strength and finishing. I have both AR45 and 565 and the finishing is better on 565. For the strength, it is told from LB customer service when I want to repurpose my Campy rear hub. They said 565 is stronger than 55. Not saying AR45/55 is weak as I had toured on a broken AR45 rim without issue.
I do actually find the wavy surface of the AR465/565 less appealing than the normal AR series, as shallow as that may sound :lol: hence my interest in the WR and AR series. I might still go for the AR465/565 wheelset in the end, but I am trying to avoid them based on just the aesthetics.