Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

aecky01 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 9:40 pm
Jasonlelam wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:00 am
Do anyone who ride AR465 rippled wheels? How do you feel about cross wind on them?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZGNMTvwf6s&t=54s
I have the AR465 wheels and they felt great on a recent windy rides. I've had a great experience with these wheels so far.
Thank you mate. Just pulled trigger on AR465 flyweight version with Carbon Ti hub and laced by their carbon spokes, undoubtly, professional customer services as others said.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Jasonlelam wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 4:41 am
Thank you mate. Just pulled trigger on AR465 flyweight version with Carbon Ti hub and laced by their carbon spokes, undoubtly, professional customer services as others said.
Let us know the real weight of these ones.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mythosxt

by mythosxt

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:00 pm
kode54 wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:03 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:03 am
My AR25s ended up being about 65g over claimed weight.
My AR25 with Carbon-Ti hubs, tubeless tape installed, no valves came in at 1060g.

AR25, Carbon-Ti hubs, raw finish, carbon spokes, no tape, no valves = 1044g.
AR25 with Extralite Hubs and Carbon Spokes -> naked 874gr :shock: :D
the feeling is excellent, but 1 carbon spoke is broken after 3 rides on the Ti threaded, driving home is no Problem, i put a reserve spoke on it, hobe this would be a individual case ...
Attachments
schuhe - 1 (4).jpeg
schuhe - 1 (4).jpeg (64.34 KiB) Viewed 3206 times

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

mythosxt wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 9:07 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
kode54 wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
My AR25 with Carbon-Ti hubs, tubeless tape installed, no valves came in at 1060g.

the feeling is excellent, but 1 carbon spoke is broken after 3 rides on the Ti threaded, driving home is no Problem, i put a reserve spoke on it, hobe this would be a individual case ...
Wow, insanely light!!! :thumbup: Do you use extralite SPD-3 which may have a potential alignment issue due to its not perfect design of hole angle. That is why I avoided them and ended up for carbon ti in my recently wheels order.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

NHWhites wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:19 pm
LB WR38 Falcon Pro, DT240exp, Sapim CXRay, drain holes, no access holes...1,367 grams.
Mounted Panaracer GK Slick plus 32c, used tire bead jack for last couple centimeters.
Could not inflate with floor pump, used air compressor, took a few tries on one while the other popped right into place.
2oz orange seal, Held air no problem.
200 miles road and gravel (some rough stuff too) so far and I have to say the wheel and tire combo has been great.
Definely a slower tire than a fast race slick but I wanted some extra puncture protection.

I wanted to check the sealant level yesterday and realized I could not use my KOM syringe to draw out the sealant as the valve they shipped with the rims is too narrow further down to allow the syringe tube to slide all the way to the tire.
I took the opportunity to see if I could release one side of the tire by the valve and when I let the air out the bead slid down easily with a little push. I think if I had to throw in a tube if a puncture does not seal, I should be able to do it with tire levers now that the bead slides down easily. I was able to use a floor pump to re-seat the tire and it is holding air again.

Pretty happy with the wheel and tire combo and use it on both my Topstone and Aethos.

Cheers
I concur that your direct experience with Panaracer GravelKing slicks holds true. These are the easiest tire to mount in the realm of vulcanized selection and will require air compressor to get seated. Why such a narrow 32mm for gravel when your frames can easy swallow 35mm?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

RDY

by RDY

mythosxt wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 9:07 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
kode54 wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:

Aren't all Extralite hubs laced 3:1? I thought it was highly recommended not to use them with carbon spokes due to the possibility of placing too much stress on and snapping the 1 side spokes.

NHWhites

by NHWhites

mpulsiv wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 5:54 pm
NHWhites wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:19 pm
LB WR38 Falcon Pro, DT240exp, Sapim CXRay, drain holes, no access holes...1,367 grams.
Mounted Panaracer GK Slick plus 32c, used tire bead jack for last couple centimeters.
Could not inflate with floor pump, used air compressor, took a few tries on one while the other popped right into place.
2oz orange seal, Held air no problem.
200 miles road and gravel (some rough stuff too) so far and I have to say the wheel and tire combo has been great.
Definely a slower tire than a fast race slick but I wanted some extra puncture protection.

I wanted to check the sealant level yesterday and realized I could not use my KOM syringe to draw out the sealant as the valve they shipped with the rims is too narrow further down to allow the syringe tube to slide all the way to the tire.
I took the opportunity to see if I could release one side of the tire by the valve and when I let the air out the bead slid down easily with a little push. I think if I had to throw in a tube if a puncture does not seal, I should be able to do it with tire levers now that the bead slides down easily. I was able to use a floor pump to re-seat the tire and it is holding air again.

Pretty happy with the wheel and tire combo and use it on both my Topstone and Aethos.

Cheers
I concur that your direct experience with Panaracer GravelKing slicks holds true. These are the easiest tire to mount in the realm of vulcanized selection and will require air compressor to get seated. Why such a narrow 32mm for gravel when your frames can easy swallow 35mm?
Wanted to swap with the Aethos occasionally and was only planning to use the Topstone on light gravel and on bike paths with the wife. Maybe over the next winter season I will move up to 30c on the Aethos and move the LB on the Topstone to 35c and no longer swap.
2021 Specialized Aethos Pro Ultegra Di2
2019 Cannondale Topstone AL 105
2011 Cervelo R3 Rival

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

mrlobber wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 7:17 am
Jasonlelam wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 4:41 am
Let us know the real weight of these ones.
Already opted for photoing/weighing when ordering. Have some custom spec requests so reasonably hits a longer lead time that is acceptable. :D
Attachments
Light Bicycle.png

frnchy

by frnchy

New wide gravel rims coming soon: https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter ... heels.html

Looks to be a competitor to the Nextie gravel rims.

emotive

by emotive

Shame they released something so similar, I already have the AGX45's.

Hopefully, they will expand the WG range in the future. Having ridden WR65's a lot, 44 or 45mm doesn't feel or look that deep now.

Would anyone else be interested in a WG55?

Ytse

by Ytse

Anyone has any experience with LB's in-house Speedhub and newly launched carbon spokes?

https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter ... et-se.html
2020 Scott Addict RC / 2021 Trek Emonda SLR / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

oLLeg

by oLLeg

Erwin wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:21 am
@mrlobber: Finally, I wish you a good ride and hope you are happy with it (now)!

@all: Someone rides the AR25 with 28mm tires? I think GP5000 S TR 28mm will be about 30,5mm on a 24mm inner rim. I want a AR25 wheelset for my O2 for climbing in the alps. Is is stiff enough with CX-Ray/CX-Sprint or should I choose 48x CX-Sprint (or perhaps carbon spokes, which I don't prefer)? My weight is about 68kg +/- 1kg. Thanks for your thoughts!
I'm thinking about same wheelset. I need light wheelset for climbing , not for gravel. No carbon spokes. I'm concerned about hybrid hooks AR25 have. TRhey say, I will need very low pressure in tyres (<70 PSI). It means only tubeless? Will it be safe/good to ride down on such low pressure?

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

I got a set of LB AR55 PRO, anyone has any experience with LB mountainbike wheels? Willing to give that a go when a sale pops up.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

oLLeg wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:14 am
Erwin wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:21 am
@mrlobber: Finally, I wish you a good ride and hope you are happy with it (now)!

@all: Someone rides the AR25 with 28mm tires? I think GP5000 S TR 28mm will be about 30,5mm on a 24mm inner rim. I want a AR25 wheelset for my O2 for climbing in the alps. Is is stiff enough with CX-Ray/CX-Sprint or should I choose 48x CX-Sprint (or perhaps carbon spokes, which I don't prefer)? My weight is about 68kg +/- 1kg. Thanks for your thoughts!
I'm thinking about same wheelset. I need light wheelset for climbing , not for gravel. No carbon spokes. I'm concerned about hybrid hooks AR25 have. TRhey say, I will need very low pressure in tyres (<70 PSI). It means only tubeless? Will it be safe/good to ride down on such low pressure?
70 psi is not low presure, unless you ridding 23mm tires from 2012 era.
Low pressure is considered ~50 psi.
Refer to viewtopic.php?f=3&t=172702&sid=c4f1a0b6 ... de6399b9a8
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oLLeg

by oLLeg

mpulsiv wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 7:33 pm
70 psi is not low presure, unless you ridding 23mm tires from 2012 era.
Low pressure is considered ~50 psi.
Refer to viewtopic.php?f=3&t=172702&sid=c4f1a0b6 ... de6399b9a8
Do you think GP5000 28mm will fit on AR25 with <70 PSI?