Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
garbageman

by garbageman

mpulsiv wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 7:33 pm
oLLeg wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:14 am
Erwin wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:21 am
@mrlobber: Finally, I wish you a good ride and hope you are happy with it (now)!

@all: Someone rides the AR25 with 28mm tires? I think GP5000 S TR 28mm will be about 30,5mm on a 24mm inner rim. I want a AR25 wheelset for my O2 for climbing in the alps. Is is stiff enough with CX-Ray/CX-Sprint or should I choose 48x CX-Sprint (or perhaps carbon spokes, which I don't prefer)? My weight is about 68kg +/- 1kg. Thanks for your thoughts!
I'm thinking about same wheelset. I need light wheelset for climbing , not for gravel. No carbon spokes. I'm concerned about hybrid hooks AR25 have. TRhey say, I will need very low pressure in tyres (<70 PSI). It means only tubeless? Will it be safe/good to ride down on such low pressure?
70 psi is not low presure, unless you ridding 23mm tires from 2012 era.
Low pressure is considered ~50 psi.
Refer to viewtopic.php?f=3&t=172702&sid=c4f1a0b6 ... de6399b9a8
70 psi IS low as a max pressure. I'm only 55kg but I used over 70 psi in 30mm WAM tires (GP5K S TR 700x28c) in 2 races on smooth pavement recently (as recommended by the Silca pro calculator). The AR25 was clearly developed as a gravel rim. As appealing as it is as a superlight road rim, the max pressure limitation means you need to run larger (heavier) tires or accept slightly compromised rolling performance on good roads. That said, the "penalty" for running lower than optimal pressure is very small and even heavier riders would be fine ("safe/good") using <70 psi in tubeless tires on AR25s.
I would treat the hybrid hook design as hookless wrt tire selection - i.e. I wouldn't use non-tubeless ready clinchers.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

garbageman wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 9:26 pm

I wouldn't use non-tubeless ready clinchers.
FWIW, Light Bicycle does claim the hybrid hook is regular clincher compatible

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

MrRolandos wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 5:15 pm
I got a set of LB AR55 PRO, anyone has any experience with LB mountainbike wheels? Willing to give that a go when a sale pops up.
Mountain is not my territory at this stage and those Light Bicycle stuff Looks super burly and great especially the last one's 'weavy' profile that the nipple holes placement are alternatively at the top/bottom area on the rim, interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAfeg5ueRcY

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

Jasonlelam wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 2:17 am
MrRolandos wrote:
I got a set of LB AR55 PRO, anyone has any experience with LB mountainbike wheels? Willing to give that a go when a sale pops up.
Mountain is not my territory at this stage and those Light Bicycle stuff Looks super burly and great especially the last one's 'weavy' profile that the nipple holes placement are alternatively at the top/bottom area on the rim, interesting.
Looks like a great review. Never got my wheels made by LB themselves but this looks really good. Those AM930S look very interesting with the weavy profile and 30 internal. They are a bit on the heavy side.

oLLeg

by oLLeg

garbageman wrote:
I would treat the hybrid hook design as hookless wrt tire selection - i.e. I wouldn't use non-tubeless ready clinchers.
Thanks for the best explanation I ever found. While I'm absolitely happy withAR45, no crosswind affect, still straight and fast wheel just about 1400 gr, I'm thinkung to try very light wheels. But not ready to start with tubeless yet.
Which tyres wouyld you advice, non-tubeless fior AR25 then?

garbageman

by garbageman

oLLeg wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 7:48 pm
garbageman wrote:
Thanks for the best explanation I ever found. While I'm absolitely happy withAR45, no crosswind affect, still straight and fast wheel just about 1400 gr, I'm thinkung to try very light wheels. But not ready to start with tubeless yet.
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 12:47 am
garbageman wrote:

I made an assumption about the hybrid hook that is incorrect (according to LB). I'd still be a little bit hesistant about running regular clinchers near the rim's max pressure and I wouldnt run a 25c/26c tire, but a 28-30 should be fine (although a 28 would be just outside of the 2023 ETRTO guideline). Alternatively, you could run a tubeless-ready tire with tubes for some extra peace of mind, but it's a bit counter-productive to the idea of a superlight wheelset (maybe not if you use light TPU tubes).

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

I just wanted to add that I have a set of AR46 without spoke access holes and have had no issues setting up tubeless without tape. I'm fairly new to tubeless and I was able to set up a set of Pirelli P Zero TLR with a standard floor pump and Orange (regular) sealant. After 6 months I removed them, cleaned out the existing sealant and setup them up again with the same floor pump - absolutely no issues.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

MrRolandos wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 5:00 pm
Jasonlelam wrote:
MrRolandos wrote:
Looks like a great review. Never got my wheels made by LB themselves but this looks really good. Those AM930S look very interesting with the weavy profile and 30 internal. They are a bit on the heavy side.
Too heavy.
Light-bicycle seems misguided that light XC need to be narrow (24mm internal width).
And anything 30mm internal width must be built burly to withstand severe abuse.

Eie make light and not narrow XC rims. 30mm internal in UL (ultra light) version weight 285g per rim versus 350-400g Light-bicycle 30mm internal.
https://www.eiecarbon.com/goods/details/A29C30D20

For mtb, Rim weight is not just rolling weight. It's unsprung weight.

gshb

by gshb

garbageman wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 8:53 pm
oLLeg wrote:
garbageman wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
garbageman wrote:

I made an assumption about the hybrid hook that is incorrect (according to LB). I'd still be a little bit hesistant about running regular clinchers near the rim's max pressure and I wouldnt run a 25c/26c tire, but a 28-30 should be fine (although a 28 would be just outside of the 2023 ETRTO guideline). Alternatively, you could run a tubeless-ready tire with tubes for some extra peace of mind, but it's a bit counter-productive to the idea of a superlight wheelset (maybe not if you use light TPU tubes).
Just to add, many people including myself have asked LB to add additional carbon layup (reinforce) to AR25, anywhere between 15-30g per rim for higher max pressure 80psi.

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

gshb wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 4:57 pm
garbageman wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 8:53 pm
oLLeg wrote:
garbageman wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
garbageman wrote:

Just to add, many people including myself have asked LB to add additional carbon layup (reinforce) to AR25, anywhere between 15-30g per rim for higher max pressure 80psi.
Haha I was not the only one! I did not know that it also increases max P. I addded 30g each so 60g in total.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

Hexsense wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 4:32 pm
MrRolandos wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 5:00 pm
Jasonlelam wrote:
MrRolandos wrote:
Too heavy.
Light-bicycle seems misguided that light XC need to be narrow (24mm internal width).
And anything 30mm internal width must be built burly to withstand severe abuse.

Eie make light and not narrow XC rims. 30mm internal in UL (ultra light) version weight 285g per rim versus 350-400g Light-bicycle 30mm internal.
https://www.eiecarbon.com/goods/details/A29C30D20

For mtb, Rim weight is not just rolling weight. It's unsprung weight.
Interesting, I find that everyone says 30mm seems to be the more modern internal width. You see the same with road rims, all 21C now. Im more heavy (86-87kg at 196cm) and 30mm would be better support I guess? I will look at those rims you linked!

eurostar

by eurostar

Somebody hurry up and build a sub-900 gram AR25 wheelset for rim brakes. You know you want to.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

eurostar wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 9:15 pm
Somebody hurry up and build a sub-900 gram AR25 wheelset for rim brakes. You know you want to.

There's no rim-brake version of the AR25 though?

eurostar

by eurostar

I thought I'd found a pic of an AR25 with a brake track. I suppose I just got lost on their site

gwilson

by gwilson

Has anyone ever shipped their own hubs to Light Bicycle and had them build up a wheelset for you? I have a pair of cracked rims with DT Swiss 240 hubs where I want to keep the hubs, so would rather just buy new rims/spokes and get the built up with my existing hubs

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com