Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
tiz92

by tiz92

Mcdeez wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:03 pm
tiz92 wrote:
Mcdeez wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:58 pm
Are bitex hubs worth it?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Big YES. Used bitex 312 on my training wheelset (laced to farsports rims) for over 13.000 km now, zero issues. Just bearing replacement but I used them in every weather.
How loud are those wheels?(i like louder hubs)

There's like 6 paws, so guess its gonna sound like winspace wheels?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Remove the grease and they will be loud.

jlok

by jlok

LB finally built my WR65 standard with Campy CULT rear hub and CX-Ray + alu nipples. Not sure how it'd feel vs the 100g lighter and much narrower Ultra WTO 60 rim with Pillar Wing spokes.
9960.JPG
Update: got the wheel finally. It weighs 886g vs 816g of the original Ultra WTO. I guess the tension is so high and due to G3 pattern, the rim section are narrower where the spokes are pulling.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GlasNago

by GlasNago

jlok wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:44 am
LB finally built my WR65 standard with Campy CULT rear hub and CX-Ray + alu nipples. Not sure how it'd feel vs the 100g lighter and much narrower Ultra WTO 60 rim with Pillar Wing spokes.
9960.JPG

Update: got the wheel finally. It weighs 886g vs 816g of the original Ultra WTO. I guess the tension is so high and due to G3 pattern, the rim section are narrower where the spokes are pulling.
looks the knees of the bees
3.990 kilo cannondale supersix himod (2016)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160600#p1549663

jlok

by jlok

Yea, the surface and rim bed are finished very well. Ridenow 65mm tube can be used if you use screw on pump chuck due to the flatter curvature of the 25mm int width rim bed. The Pirelli P Zero Race 4S 28mm at 72psi is 31.2mm wide. Not sure if it would grow a lil bit wider after some more usage.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

txg

by txg

My UFO disc wheel is finally finished after more than three and half months (ordered end of November). LB sent me the pictures and asked me if they should ship it, which they have never done on my previous orders.

So this made me wonder if there is something wrong and when looking at the pictures i can see various defects in the layup. I'm not sure, maybe i am too picky and the problems are exaggerated by the studio lighting? Also I've been waiting for so long and the TT season is starting soon. On the other hand this is a wheel that cost more than 1000USD and took them so long to build, so it should be as perfect as my other much cheaper LB wheelsets. What do you think?

1584.JPG
1572.JPG
1575.JPG
1578.JPG
1582.JPG

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Look at any ENVE rim, for example. Molded carbon ain’t pretty.

I got over a dozen photos of my WR50s when they shipped them out, but didn’t get pictures of my AR25s.

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

Is it paint-free finish? It is pretty challenging when it comes to deal with huge surface of full disc rims I think. No any coating to hide the surface defects, and the lighting reflection exaggerates those much. What is the weight of the wheel? I think the light weight is one of what you could benifit from this finish as no paint used on it (also more sturdy against scratch without soft paint). Most disc Wheel under that similar price tag go 1300g+ :shock:
txg wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:17 pm
My UFO disc wheel is finally finished after more than three and half months (ordered end of November). LB sent me the pictures and asked me if they should ship it, which they have never done on my previous orders.

So this made me wonder if there is something wrong and when looking at the pictures i can see various defects in the layup. I'm not sure, maybe i am too picky and the problems are exaggerated by the studio lighting? Also I've been waiting for so long and the TT season is starting soon. On the other hand this is a wheel that cost more than 1000USD and took them so long to build, so it should be as perfect as my other much cheaper LB wheelsets. What do you think?

1584.JPG1572.JPG1575.JPG1578.JPG1582.JPG

otnemem

by otnemem

minecraftguy69 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:01 am
hi, looking to build AR55 rims with carbon-ti X-Hubs, 20 front/24 rear spoke count with cx-ray front+back and the flyweight option. i am 77kg with a decent sprint (1500w). will i have issues with this build at my weight and wattage?
If you're worried you might be too powerful for them, you can opt for CX Sprint on the drivetrain side.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

txg wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:17 pm

You probably remember my adventures with the LB disc earlier in this thread :D

The thing is, they received the wobbling disc I returned to them already a month ago, and, while they refunded the shipping costs as agreed, the replacement disc has not yet been sent out to me, last week they still said 2 days to produce and up to 3 days for QC even though they initially said they'd start producing the disc right away after I sent out the bad one. So to me, it looks like there might be some issues in their manufacturing process which prohibit them cranking out discs of *acceptable quality* at the rate they're producing the rims.

As for the surface finish, I'm with Tobin on this one, don't worry, it still looks fairly good. The most important thing is to have the disc straight :D
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

dschur

by dschur

LB finished building my AR56 wheelset, Bitex hubs, Pillar Aero spokes, rim brake grooevd graphene. I went with UD weave and a glossy finish. Total weight 1470g, cost $684.

Wheels are going to shave 519g = 1.1lbs off my current Bontrager Aeolus Comp 5, while giving me a better rim/tire aero match.

aecky01

by aecky01

What are peoples thoughts on the difference between the AR46 Falcon disc wheels and the AR465 Falcon Pro. It seems like the AR465 has a more refined Torodial shape and can be lighter in the flyweight config. I'm a bit nervous about going with the flyweights as I'm currently 81kg and would probably stay in that ball park. If I go standard they are heavier.

If I go DT Swiss 240EXP hubs and Sapim CXray spokes the weight difference between the AR 46 and the AR465 Flyweights is only 50 grams, but the 465 costs $250 more and I have the concern about being near the high end of the weight limit. Am I missing anything?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Get the standard weight rims.

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

I understand "light weight" but is it too crazy ??? https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter ... -life.html

otnemem

by otnemem

"How light is too light? I guess we'll find out."

RDY

by RDY

Jasonlelam wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:00 am
I understand "light weight" but is it too crazy ??? https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter ... -life.html
It's probably less dodgy than extremely light weight hookless or hooked clincher rims. The more concerning thing is a pre-order campaign being labeled 'crowdfunding' by a well established player in the rim and wheel business.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com