Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
VeloCris

by VeloCris

ar 465 carbon spokes dt240 hubs

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Looking fast!!!

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

jch3n wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:45 am
Got my AR25 wheels purchased during Black Friday. 1132g with Bitex hubs, Pillar 1420 spokes, and brass nipples (tape and valves not included). Should shave about 600g off my gravel bike...nice.
I am also considering AR25 sincerely, but is 90Kg max limit bit scary? and could you tell me how long did it take to be shipped to your place?

jch3n

by jch3n

Pyotrump wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:09 pm
I am also considering AR25 sincerely, but is 90Kg max limit bit scary? and could you tell me how long did it take to be shipped to your place?
I'm about 75kg...close but not super close to the limit. It doesn't concern me too much. Most of these limits are probably conservative anyways. I also don't ride gravel like a madman. The wheels took just under 2 months to be built and shipped to my place.

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

jch3n wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:50 am
Pyotrump wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:09 pm
I'm about 75kg...close but not super close to the limit. It doesn't concern me too much. Most of these limits are probably conservative anyways. I also don't ride gravel like a madman. The wheels took just under 2 months to be built and shipped to my place.

Thanks for your answer. I am going to make an order tonight. I chose 280g (slightly fortified version) for I am 80kgf and treat my bike like a boar. They say it will take 3~4weeks but I think I have to prepare for longer lead time according to your statement. Thanks anyway.

jch3n

by jch3n

Pyotrump wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:56 am
Thanks for your answer. I am going to make an order tonight. I chose 280g (slightly fortified version) for I am 80kgf and treat my bike like a boar. They say it will take 3~4weeks but I think I have to prepare for longer lead time according to your statement. Thanks anyway.
Keep in mind I ordered during the Black Friday promo which probably contributed to a surge in orders and longer lead times. I also chose the slowest/cheapest shipping option (by sea) since I wasn't in any hurry.

Woland

by Woland

Re: AR25, I'm interested in hearing about people's experiences with lateral stiffness. I'm currently running a 45m deep wheelset that I find a little jarring at times, so wondering if the AR25 would make for a more comfortable ride without sacrificing (too much) stiffness. For context, I moved to the 45mm wheels from a 25mm aluminium wheelset and prefer the much sharper handling of the deeper wheels.

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

I also pulled the triger to buy AR25 with bitex hubs. I requested special rims with no access holes, 30g reinforcement. So total weight will be around 1120g . How's the AR25s doing? BF day order guys?

Aeo

by Aeo

jch3n wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:50 am
I'm about 75kg...close but not super close to the limit.
You are nowhere near the limit
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

mpulsiv wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:15 am
I'm surprised that my AR375 Falcon Pro are rubbing on the chainstay (non-drive side).
www.lightbicycle.com/AR375-Non-Disc-X-F ... -700C.html

A combination of CX-Sprint spokes on drive side and wide flange on Bitex RAR9 is a solid combo. Any pointers as to why the wheel is rubbing? The flex is ~3mm when I'm climbing out of saddle. Is there a guarantee that AR465 will reduce flex since it's deeper?
Any suggestions how to remedy this? Perhaps LB can rebuild or let me upgrade?
1) Re-lace the wheel with CX-Sprint spokes all-around (drive side + non-drive side) = extra stiffness
2) Replace flyweight rim with standard = extra stiffness?
According to their blog, flyweight is stiffer due to mix of Toray T700 (standard) + Toray T800 (flyweight) layers https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter ... -Rims.html
3) Upgrade to deeper AR465 rim = extra stiffness
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

TTRV

by TTRV

mpulsiv wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:43 pm
mpulsiv wrote:
I'm surprised that my AR375 Falcon Pro are rubbing on the chainstay (non-drive side).

A combination of CX-Sprint spokes on drive side and wide flange on Bitex RAR9 is a solid combo. Any pointers as to why the wheel is rubbing? The flex is ~3mm when I'm climbing out of saddle. Is there a guarantee that AR465 will reduce flex since it's deeper?
1) Re-lace the wheel with CX-Sprint spokes all-around (drive side + non-drive side) = extra stiffness
According to their blog, flyweight is stiffer due to mix of Toray T700 (standard) + Toray T800 (flyweight) layers https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter ... -Rims.html
Your wheels are probably not lacking stiffness, quite the opposite actually. You might want to read that: https://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Debunki ... _3449.html

I'd say it's actually your frame's chainstays that aren't stiff enough for the wheel.
Other option could be that the spokes aren't stiff enough for the rim given the thin margin between the frame and the wheel. Solution could be to go for stiffer spokes but definitely not stiffer rim.

Have you ever ridden wheels that wide on this bike before?

coxy93

by coxy93

VeloCris wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:00 pm
Can I ask what width gp5000s tr you fitted and do they line up fairly flush with the sides of the rim?

I've got a set of AR55 on the way and I'd like to run the new conti's in 28mm but just want to make sure they don't balloon wider than the rim.

cjm

by cjm

coxy93 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:07 pm
VeloCris wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:00 pm

Can I ask what width gp5000s tr you fitted and do they line up fairly flush with the sides of the rim?

I've got a set of AR55 on the way and I'd like to run the new conti's in 28mm but just want to make sure they don't balloon wider than the rim.
I have a set of AR55 with 25mm GP5000 that measure 27.5mm and are pretty much flush with the rim as it tapers back in from the widest 30mm point to 28mm at the edge of the rim.

kamtsd

by kamtsd

mpulsiv wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:43 pm
mpulsiv wrote:

I replaced my QR skewers with Ultegra internal-cam ones and solved the rubbing issue. I have AR46 rims on Bitex hubs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

txg

by txg

mrlobber wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:30 am
What they're still saying, I should try a tubeless tyre pumped up to max pressure, like 120+ psi, to be really sure the tyre has seated on the bed properly.
I haven't done that yet, but will do, even though, again, I have no idea how that would eventually correct this terrible wobble.

They said they use Giant tubeless tyre for QC testing (no idea why, no one would run them on a disc for a TT :D), and the disc was fine with it.
Any news on this? Did you try the UFO with a tubeless tire?