Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
voicycle

by voicycle

grnrcr wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:21 pm
Anyone riding WR50 and/or WR65 on chunky gravel? I have a set of flyweight WR50+65 on carbon ti hubs. Been running them on road. Thinking about throwing 45mm terra speeds on them but wonder how durable they are gonna be.
My gravel race wheels are WR45 (40c Terra Speed), and for road I have a set of WR50 (28c GP5000TL). Because the 50s are Falcon Pro series they come with that paintless clear lacquer finish, and just by transporting them a bit carelessly I've managed to scratch all the way through the finish in one place (I think it was a cassette tooth from another wheelset that did it). The WR45s, on the other hand, have taken loads of big bad strikes from flying bits of gravel - plenty have damaged the paint but nothing remotely close to reaching carbon.

So I'd have no qualms about riding the painted 65 on loose gravel, but I'd definitely take it easy with the 50.

--

Since I'm mentioning it, does anyone have any experience touching up the clear coat on carbon? There's no carbon damage on my scratched wheel so I'm sure it's a touch-up job I can do myself but I wouldn't know what paint product to look for. Do I just want an automotive spray can?

Erwin

by Erwin

Hexsense wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 2:07 am
Hexsense wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:03 pm
I'm a total believer of narrower front tire than the rear, both for weight balance and aerodynamic reasons.
Currently I'm using 25c front and 28c rear tire on AR56 front and rear.

Now, I just pulled the trigger to add WR65 rear into the arsenal. <-- actually, rear AR56 will be sold to a friend.
so, the final combo will be 25c tire on AR56 at the front and 28c tire on WR65 in the back. Will post the picture in a few months.
And, it's arrived.
I post two pictures here for reference.
One picture has AR56 both front and back.
Another has AR56 front and WR65 rear.
CVT09594.jpg
CVT09591.jpg
This is a combo I have also thought about it. Do you still ride and like it? I was on the trigger on the AR56, but I am not 100% sure about the wavy design and also I like the profile amd width of the AR56 more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mashiehood

by mashiehood

i have ridden a WR combo with DT Swiss 180 on gravel for two year ( i say gravel more like XC mtb light) with no issues - rock solid.

Aesch

by Aesch

voicycle wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:55 pm
grnrcr wrote:
Anyone riding WR50 and/or WR65 on chunky gravel? I have a set of flyweight WR50+65 on carbon ti hubs. Been running them on road. Thinking about throwing 45mm terra speeds on them but wonder how durable they are gonna be.
My gravel race wheels are WR45 (40c Terra Speed), and for road I have a set of WR50 (28c GP5000TL). Because the 50s are Falcon Pro series they come with that paintless clear lacquer finish, and just by transporting them a bit carelessly I've managed to scratch all the way through the finish in one place (I think it was a cassette tooth from another wheelset that did it). The WR45s, on the other hand, have taken loads of big bad strikes from flying bits of gravel - plenty have damaged the paint but nothing remotely close to reaching carbon.

So I'd have no qualms about riding the painted 65 on loose gravel, but I'd definitely take it easy with the 50.

--

Since I'm mentioning it, does anyone have any experience touching up the clear coat on carbon? There's no carbon damage on my scratched wheel so I'm sure it's a touch-up job I can do myself but I wouldn't know what paint product to look for. Do I just want an automotive spray can?
I use clear coat nail polish for touch ups on all sorts of carbon. Not exactly pretty or invisible but easy to apply and strong. (it's almost like acrylic glue, if not identical)

txg

by txg

I'm thinking about ordering a disc wheel for my old speedmax:
https://www.lightbicycle.com/WUFO-C21-F ... -Rear.html

Does anyone have experience with the "Chosen" hubs that LB offers in this wheel? There is no further specification but it is more than 100 USD cheaper than DT 350. On the one hand i'm pretty sure this wheel will not see any use in harsh conditions, on the other hand it is impossible to change the hub on a disc wheel if there are any problems.

mashiehood

by mashiehood

i have run the novatech hubs from them with no issues

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Erwin wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:09 am
This is a combo I have also thought about it. Do you still ride and like it? I was on the trigger on the AR56, but I am not 100% sure about the wavy design and also I like the profile amd width of the AR56 more.
Since then, I no longer mind using very deep wheel all the time.
I also got WR65 front.
I rarely use AR56 anymore. For my terrain, I prefer WR65 front and rear over 56/65 combo.
If Light-Bicycle make even deeper wide wheel (like 76mm deep 32mm wide), I'd be tempted to buy a set.

Oncarbon

by Oncarbon

txg wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:11 pm
I'm thinking about ordering a disc wheel for my old speedmax:
https://www.lightbicycle.com/WUFO-C21-F ... -Rear.html

Does anyone have experience with the "Chosen" hubs that LB offers in this wheel? There is no further specification but it is more than 100 USD cheaper than DT 350. On the one hand i'm pretty sure this wheel will not see any use in harsh conditions, on the other hand it is impossible to change the hub on a disc wheel if there are any problems.
Why not try 9VELO https://www.9velo.com/products/gravel-g ... tsId=10032 GV series with 36T or 54T ratchets for option.

Oncarbon

by Oncarbon

Aesch wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:33 pm
voicycle wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:55 pm
grnrcr wrote:

--

I have a set of G45 gravel wheels from https://www.9velo.com/products/gravel-g ... tsId=10032.These wheels are pretty comfortable. The shallower section provides what seems like more vertical compliance than the 56mm deep wheel I am used too.

pipii

by pipii

Does anyone have a picture of the ar565 in use. Hesitating between ar55 and ar565.
sworks sl8 rtp 56 5.77kg
factor ostro vam 56 6.15kg
specialized allez sprint 2023 7.13kg

retired:
Lapierre aircode 2017
specialized sl7 56 6.75kg

voicycle

by voicycle

pipii wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:47 am
Does anyone have a picture of the ar565 in use. Hesitating between ar55 and ar565.
They've got a customer blog post with a bunch of photos of his build here: https://www.lightbicycle.com/storytelli ... c-Wheelset

They seem new enough that I can't really find anyone else sharing real world experience online. Plenty about the 465 though if you just want to get a sense for the aesthetics of the wavy-ness.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

dooglehead2 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:50 pm
My wheels don't have a textured brake track. I used the blue Light Bicycle pads last year, they had hardley any visible wear at the end of the season. Out of curiosity, I switched to the Black Prince pads this spring, and I already need to replace them soon (at least in the front) due to wear. I don't notice any difference in braking performance. I think the Black Prince pads dissipate heat better because at the bottom of a steep decent, the rim was hot enough to burn my hand after using the Light Bicycle pads, but was fine to touch after using the Black Prince pads.

I'm going to try Campagnolo pads next.
Have you tried red Campagnolo pads yet?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

seventyseven

by seventyseven

Had my BF order deliver tonight: AR55 Flyweight, Carbon-Ti 11-speed Shimano CL hubs, CX-Ray spokes, matte UD, no decals.

If I remember correctly they were estimated at 1383g on the website. Mine are 623g (F) + 721g (R) = 1344g so quite happy (although this scale is probably fairly inaccurate).

Now if only my rotors weren't on a ship somewhere in the Atlantic ocean I could actually finish up these and get my new bike built up... :roll:
Attachments
IMG_2633.jpeg
IMG_2634.jpeg

jude188

by jude188

Light Bicycle are so close to making my perfect wheelset... I'd love a WR50/WR65 front/rear hookless set but the WR65 is Falcon rather than Falcon Pro so doesn't come in a hookless varient. I also suspect the wheels would look rather mismatched.

Has anyone else asked them about this? It seems rather a shame as 50mm seems quite shallow for a rear wheel these days.

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

jude188 wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:44 am
Light Bicycle are so close to making my perfect wheelset... I'd love a WR50/WR65 front/rear hookless set but the WR65 is Falcon rather than Falcon Pro so doesn't come in a hookless varient. I also suspect the wheels would look rather mismatched.

Has anyone else asked them about this? It seems rather a shame as 50mm seems quite shallow for a rear wheel these days.
That is a cool combo. They are good at custom work and very nice to anwer questions straightforward. Why not just asking them simply? If I can recall properly, the Falcon Pro could also have coating job on it that would come out with the same finish as Falcon. But the reversal does not work (Falcon is not able to convert to Falcon Pro). So you could have your hooked WR50/WR65 both in matte/glossy or any other coated finishes except for the uncoating one/paintless. And personally I am a little bit old school to see commentional hooked ones may fit much more riding scenarios.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com