Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Abolive

by Abolive

Thank you for the help. I guess I'll keep looking then :)

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

Abolive wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:33 pm
In fact I've got AR35 already but was looking for something shallower. It's more about rim depth than weight. But I find difficult to find carbon wheels under 30mm.
LB is developing ultra light rim 25mm deep and around 180g for tubular first,and then 250g for tubeless if i remember right...just drop an email to ask them is the easiest way. https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter ... -life.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Abolive

by Abolive

Thank you Jasonlelam

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

mrlobber wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 7:17 am
Jasonlelam wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 4:41 am
Thank you mate. Just pulled trigger on AR465 flyweight version with Carbon Ti hub and laced by their carbon spokes, undoubtly, professional customer services as others said.
Let us know the real weight of these ones.
My AR465 is ready, as I opted for taking photoes before shipping, they now come. Front 598g + Rear698g = 1296g/wheelset :D
Attachments
front.jpg
carbon.jpg
light bicycle carbon spoke.jpg
light bicycle carbon ti.jpg
light bicycle wheels.jpg
rear.jpg
rim bed.jpg

garbageman

by garbageman

garbageman wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:46 pm
I haven't had any of those issues on my Falcon Pro AR45 without tape. GP5000S TR 28c were easy to mount by hand. Beads seated with my regular floor pump with valve cores removed. I've completely deflated both tires a few times to top up sealant and the beads did not unseat. Always pumped back up without issue. The only issue I've had was one of the wheels did not hold air well upon initial set-up (losing 10-20psi in 24h IIRC). An additional 10-15mL Orange Seal and laying the wheel flat on each side for a few hours solved the problem.
aeroisnteverything wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:03 pm
I emailed LB about it, they said it's all normal. After a bit of an argument, I agreed to ship the wheels back to them for re-inspection at my own expense - but they found it all normal. They said that my valves were a bit clogged so there was not enough air flow to budge the tyre into the lock (which was fair - new valves did better) - but also fully admitted to the fact that tubeless tape was necessary in order to get tyres seated, at least used tyres.
I plan on rotating my front tire to the rear soon. I'll report back if I run into any trouble getting it seated and inflated.
I rotated the front tire to rear. Wouldn't inflate with my regular floor pump. Used a tube to seat one of the beads and the other seated without issue after that (had the same experience on Farsports gravel 30mm hooked rims with new Vittoria Corsa Pros). Tire has done 7500+km over 9 months of use. No rim tape or compressor necessary. I also had to completely unmount and remount the new front tire (25c GP5000 S TR) after 1 ride and it inflated easily with the valve core still installed.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

Freakish wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:20 pm
On April 12 I ordered a pair of custom made AR46 wheels. The wheels were ready on April 29, but shipped out on May 5th because of Chinese holidays. I received the wheels on May 24. I live in the Netherlands.

I don’t know if shipping to the USA is faster or slower, but at least you have an impression of whole process.
That's quite a bit longer than I was expecting. Thank you

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

r_mutt wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:25 am
Freakish wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:20 pm
On April 12 I ordered a pair of custom made AR46 wheels. The wheels were ready on April 29, but shipped out on May 5th because of Chinese holidays. I received the wheels on May 24. I live in the Netherlands.

I don’t know if shipping to the USA is faster or slower, but at least you have an impression of whole process.
That's quite a bit longer than I was expecting. Thank you
They do offer quite a range of stock rims/ pre built wheelsets under 'Quick-Buy' tag if you want short lead time but the key value of Light Bicycle is their truely expanded custom options which requires reasonable time to organize parts sourcing/production etc...
https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter ... -Time.html

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

jlok wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:44 am
LB finally built my WR65 standard with Campy CULT rear hub and CX-Ray + alu nipples. Not sure how it'd feel vs the 100g lighter and much narrower Ultra WTO 60 rim with Pillar Wing spokes.

Update: got the wheel finally. It weighs 886g vs 816g of the original Ultra WTO. I guess the tension is so high and due to G3 pattern, the rim section are narrower where the spokes are pulling.

Does LB have experince wth G3 lacing? Last I checked with them they didn't sound confident. Can you share some notes or order # so I can use it as a reference?

They must have added this note recently:
"2:1 Lacing - Often used in rear-wheel lacing for road bikes, this pattern means there are 2 spokes on the drive side to match every 1 spoke on the non-drive side, with spoke holes equally spaced. One exception to the equal-hole spacing rule is the Campagnolo G3 lacing where every three holes are closely placed as a group."

www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter/Back-to ... pokes.html
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

alanyu

by alanyu

mpulsiv wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:49 pm

Does LB have experince wth G3 lacing? Last I checked with them they didn't sound confident. Can you share some notes or order # so I can use it as a reference?

"2:1 Lacing - Often used in rear-wheel lacing for road bikes, this pattern means there are 2 spokes on the drive side to match every 1 spoke on the non-drive side, with spoke holes equally spaced. One exception to the equal-hole spacing rule is the Campagnolo G3 lacing where every three holes are closely placed as a group."

I think they have experience on G3 for years. When I custom order my AR56 2 years ago, they had already mentioned G3 pattern on their page. My AR56 is laced with SIM+ hub, which has a fulcrum 2:1 pattern instead of G3 or evenly distributed 2:1. There is no single issue with the spoke angle or tension

jlok

by jlok

mpulsiv wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:49 pm
jlok wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:44 am
LB finally built my WR65 standard with Campy CULT rear hub and CX-Ray + alu nipples. Not sure how it'd feel vs the 100g lighter and much narrower Ultra WTO 60 rim with Pillar Wing spokes.

Update: got the wheel finally. It weighs 886g vs 816g of the original Ultra WTO. I guess the tension is so high and due to G3 pattern, the rim section are narrower where the spokes are pulling.

Just like any custom project, you send email to LB and start with what you want. Just indicate that you'd supply your own hubs and specify how you want you rims to be. They will ask any necessary questions and then finally come up with a quotation.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

fatpinarellorider

by fatpinarellorider

I don't like the weave pattern.

tiberiade

by tiberiade

I had my first Lightbicycle wheelset built, WR50 with carbon spokes and it arrived broken. Box was in perfect condition so I think there's something wrong with how they're assembling those spokes. Made a couple of videos: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOQu ... 0stdCGJcEi

So far their resolution is a $30 refund for wheel building and sending me more spokes to arrive in 3 weeks… Pretty poor when you've waited months and the actual cost of rebuilding a wheelset in a city like London is in the 100-150 range, not including spokes/tape/etc.

Should I just revert to standard Sapim CX Ray spokes? Don't really want to die on a bike…

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Ouch. That looks painful.

FWIW, LB seems to have occasional (major) issues with quality control at wheelbuilding (see some stories earlier in this thread), where the people responsible for QC likely haven't checked anything at all, but stuff still somehow gets stamped the "QC passed" mark and sent out to the customer.

I really wonder if it's worth always requesting the pictures, which they offer as an option, because that would likely reduce the chance of receiving broken stuff significantly.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

gorkypl

by gorkypl

I would not like to be on some unknown carbon spokes when bombing down the hill at 70-80kph and pressing the brake - the twist forces are huge. Their rims are very good, but I would not experiment with the spokes.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

As far as wheelbuilding QC is concerned, the dishing on both my Light Bicycle wheelsets was off by a couple millimeters. The wheels were "true enough" but barely so.