Bora WTO

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
GaBa

by GaBa

jlok wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:24 am
ichobi wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:52 am
So let me get this straight. With Bora Ultra WTO 35mm being 1285g, what's the point of a Hyperon Ultra that's only 40g lighter? Not sure why they feel the need to make two product lines that's so similar.

Although I must say the revamps is really quite good. They get the weight down by quite a lot especially the 60mm which is now sub 1400g, without having to rely on carbon spokes and hookless design. The rim must be really light. The 21 spokes count do help for sure. This is a good package despite the price.
I'd say the other way round. Bora Ultra WTO 35 shouldn't exist, except for those who must use 28mm AND want to adhere to whatever aero rule AND G3 lacing.

The Hyperon Ultra 37 is more interesting and highly focused on making a proper low-mid profile wheel, but it's off topic here so that's it.
Could be some difference between WTO's and Hyperon's from lacing and also hubs? They are different as well. My ideal combo would be Hyperon's and WTO's 60 :mrgreen:

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Very quick summary post:

External rim widths are different (slightly) between Bora WTO and Bora Ultra WTO.
29 mm for WTO
28,4 for Ultra WTO

Bear in mind that these two numbers are subject to a measurement & manufacturing tolerance.
Before anyone asks, like most manufacturers, Campagnolo never make dimensional tolerance information public, so no, I'm sorry, I can't tell you!

Tyre compatibility - remember, this is about what has been tested *by Campagnolo* in the context of expected user profile and well as the absolute capability of the rim design - "Recommended" is about what they as the manufacturer recommend, having physically tested across a range of tyre makers, a range of tyre pressures, rider weights and use-cases.

Over-arching that is the ETRTO specification and so, in cases where Campagnolo don't make a recommendation or recommendations, the appropriate data from ETRTO can be used.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

markyboy

by markyboy

My ultra wto 45 seems narrower than my wto 33 although the 33 are the rim version and the 45 disc.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

GaBa

by GaBa

It's because they are different. 45's and 60's are 19mm IW and 33's 21mm. Or 26.1 vs 27.4 external width.

Edit: missed that rim brake version is 19mm IW for 33's as well. My comment is irrelevant it seems :)

jlok

by jlok

GaBa wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:07 pm
jlok wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:24 am
ichobi wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:52 am
So let me get this straight. With Bora Ultra WTO 35mm being 1285g, what's the point of a Hyperon Ultra that's only 40g lighter? Not sure why they feel the need to make two product lines that's so similar.

Although I must say the revamps is really quite good. They get the weight down by quite a lot especially the 60mm which is now sub 1400g, without having to rely on carbon spokes and hookless design. The rim must be really light. The 21 spokes count do help for sure. This is a good package despite the price.
I'd say the other way round. Bora Ultra WTO 35 shouldn't exist, except for those who must use 28mm AND want to adhere to whatever aero rule AND G3 lacing.

The Hyperon Ultra 37 is more interesting and highly focused on making a proper low-mid profile wheel, but it's off topic here so that's it.
Could be some difference between WTO's and Hyperon's from lacing and also hubs? They are different as well. My ideal combo would be Hyperon's and WTO's 60 :mrgreen:
That's the way to go!
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I was delightfully surprised that the Hyperon is also available in tubular versions as well.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

jlok

by jlok

btw how much weight saving is coming from the rims for both the Ultra and non-Ultra WTOs?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Roel W

by Roel W

A lot of discussion about the rims.
But what about the hubs? Campagnolo still uses its (proven) 3-pawl freewheel while most high end brands have moved to a ratchet system.

jlok

by jlok

Roel W wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:08 am
A lot of discussion about the rims.
But what about the hubs? Campagnolo still uses its (proven) 3-pawl freewheel while most high end brands have moved to a ratchet system.
I guess it is minor and doesn't affect the ride feel? Does it affect the design with cup-and-cone bearing?

However, the WTO Ultra C23 hub geometry is interesting. The spokes on the DS now anchor at position further. Is it a common design? Seems not. The spokes are now longer and the bracing angle is a tad bit smaller. (Just compare the anchor point with the last 24-spoke WTO Ultra and also the rim brake Bora Ultra 50 rear wheel for examples)

Based on the geometry alone, I guess the 21-spoke hub could be already a bit lighter than the last gen 24-spoke WTO Ultra. More cut outs and machining also contributes the reduced weight. Again, not too important for ride feel I guess, esp. when this is aero focused wheel.

Ol3Tarmac

by Ol3Tarmac

I would interested in upgrating my wheelset. Before the release of the new bora wto generation the hyperon ultras were my favorite.

However, with the new and broader bora ultra wto's in the dimensions 35 and 45 im consider to opt for one the boras.

Are there any opinions on how the bora depths 35/45 can be compared with each other beside the difference in weight of 40g. In addition, how shall the low profile boras (35/45, 1285/1325g, 23mm) be seen compared to the hyperon ultras (37mm, 1240g, 21mm), since they provide quite comparable characteristics beside the rim width?

mrlobber

by mrlobber

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:51 am
I was delightfully surprised that the Hyperon is also available in tubular versions as well.
Really? Campag's website doesn't mention any.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

dannyperish

by dannyperish

Are these wheels compatible with most rotors or are there any differences?
I want to put galfer rotors on them

jlok

by jlok

dannyperish wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:21 pm
Are these wheels compatible with most rotors or are there any differences?
I want to put galfer rotors on them
I used Galfer CB003 AFS to 6-bolt adapter with Galfer road 6-bolt rotors on Bora Ultra WTO without issue. The caveat being that the lock ring of the adapter is thinner than the Campy original lock ring. Be very careful when locking it up. Tool might slip and strip the Galfer lock ring, which is made of aluminum.

gorkypl

by gorkypl

jlok wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:14 am
The caveat being that the lock ring of the adapter is thinner than the Campy original lock ring. Be very careful when locking it up. Tool might slip and strip the Galfer lock ring, which is made of aluminum.
Pro tip: when using a tool like Campagnolo ut-bb130 you can use a spare qr skewer to keep the tool secured to lock ring (or BB sleeve). This eliminates slipping completely.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

Wow that helps heaps! Thx. Gotta get one from 2nd hand market and figure it out.