Bora WTO

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
octav

by octav

Any ride comparison between 33s and 45s? I want to buy a set after I sold my Cosmic SLR40. I already have a set of Bora Ultra 50(rim brake).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

neeb

by neeb

I have all three (33s, 45s and 60s) in the rim brake versions. TBH they all feel rather similar (and a bit different to the old Bora Ultras - a bit more planted in a good way, hard to descibe). 33s are a little better in crosswinds and lighter than the 45s obviously, the 45s look better and in theory should be a smidgeon faster, although I don't really notice it. I can just about tell that the 60s are faster than the 45s on the flat. They all feel good when climbing, I can't say I notice that the 33s are any more responsive than the 45s.

I'd be tempted to go for the 45s just for the looks and the theoretical aero advantage unless you're going for a lighweight build or maybe if they will be your only wheels and you sometimes ride in windy conditions.

octav

by octav

Thanks for the reply, nice review :) I would be inclined to go to 45s as they are more "allround" and can compare them also to the bora ultra 50. So now, to see where I can find them at a decent price( I saw at bike-discount but no stock yet) and also brithg vs dark label :)

neeb

by neeb

octav wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:10 pm
Thanks for the reply, nice review :) I would be inclined to go to 45s as they are more "allround" and can compare them also to the bora ultra 50. So now, to see where I can find them at a decent price( I saw at bike-discount but no stock yet) and also brithg vs dark label :)
I find them a little better in crosswinds than the Ultra 50s, probably more to do with the profile than the 5mm depth difference. They don't look as deep as the 50s, again probably because of the profile and the width.

octav

by octav

Even a set of WTO60 could be ok, if you say the profile doesn't look that deep, I need to search today pics with setups. For me I hope to find a 45s as soon as possible ; don't know yet if I pick it dark label or bright label.

spud

by spud

Gents, a quick question on tires with Campy WTOs - what tires are you running with them? Asking from the perspective of finding a tire that doesn't require too much force to mount/dismount. Asking for a woman who does not have the hand strength to wrestle with super tight fit tire in case of flatting.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

spud wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:04 pm
Gents, a quick question on tires with Campy WTOs - what tires are you running with them? Asking from the perspective of finding a tire that doesn't require too much force to mount/dismount. Asking for a woman who does not have the hand strength to wrestle with super tight fit tire in case of flatting.
Was fine with Conti GP5000S TR 25mm. Required a mere tickle from the tyre lever to mount/unmount.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

MDecius

by MDecius

Nickldn wrote:
spud wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:04 pm
Was fine with Conti GP5000S TR 25mm. Required a mere tickle from the tyre lever to mount/unmount.
This one depends on the user IMO. It took me 2 hours to mount a GP5K S TR and a lot of force. Lots of examples in this thread of folks with both experiences, although it is generally accepted the STR is easier to install than the TL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Road - Time Alpe d'Huez 01 rim
All-road - Diverge Elite DSW '16 disc

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Best to stay away from the old TL, even if you can still find it for sale somewhere it was very hard work to mount. S TR is a whole different tyre in that respect.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

spud

by spud

thanks for the replies, should have specified that the wheels will be ridden with tubes rather than tubeless.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I wouldn't do it.....tubless is so easy to set up on WTO's its a shame not to!

neeb

by neeb

Nickldn wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:55 pm
Profoundly disagree unless you get a lot of punctures - there's no advantage of tubeless over latex tubes performance wise. So much easier to swap tyres around with tubes, the overall weight is much less and you avoid the yuck of sealant.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

neeb wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:29 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:55 pm
Profoundly disagree unless you get a lot of punctures - there's no advantage of tubeless over latex tubes performance wise. So much easier to swap tyres around with tubes, the overall weight is much less and you avoid the yuck of sealant.
We all have different priorities......for example I find the hassle of pumping up latex inner tubes all the time worse than dealing with sealant. I also find inner tubes, any inner tubes, a hassle to install, let alone change by the side of the road.

It's great we have choices..... the WTO is great as it has no rim tape so it's easy to run either tubed or tubless.

neeb

by neeb

Each to their own! :-)

One thing that does annoy me though is that tyres with tubes are generally now much more difficult to install because rims (like the WTOs) are designed for both tubless and tubes. The fit is tighter than it needs to be for clincher tyres.

jlok

by jlok

I'd take the lil bit of inconvenience of the tighter fit because nowadays the clinchers sit very nicely on the rim. It's very straight and the days of "wobbling tires" were gone. Yea, took me ard 60s more to fit a clincher but it's ok.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com