Bora WTO

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
jlok

by jlok

I broke my rear Ultra WTO 60 (silly attempt to hop over a ditch, skill up needed :( ), so I decided to lace a new wheel with the CULT hub and LB WR65 rim.

As I disassemble it, here's the weight breakdown:

Rim with nipples: 473g
Hub with XDR freehub sans rotor lock ring: 233g
Spokes: 109g / 4.54g avg (255mm and 272mm)
Altogether: 816g (again w/o lock ring)
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

yinya

by yinya

sfo423 wrote:Lots of comments on the challenge of installing tubeless tires on the WTO (and Fulcrum Speed). Maybe a list of (a) easy to fit and (b) very hard to fit tires?

-P Zero in a 26; Very, very hard to fit (but love 'em once they are rolling).
-Schwalbe Pro One TLE in a 25; much easier to fit but way too fragile for my roads
Corsa Control TLR 25. Easy with a tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AC0

by AC0

jlok wrote:I broke my rear Ultra WTO 60 (silly attempt to hop over a ditch, skill up needed :( ), so I decided to lace a new wheel with the CULT hub and LB WR65 rim.
Did you have to make a custom instructions for drilling the G3 spoke pattern or do LB know what needs to be done?

Also, how did they build? I've heard campagnolo rims are slightly out of round to compensate for the G3 spoke pattern and large unsupported rim section.

Sent from my SM-G996W using Tapatalk

sfo423

by sfo423

Can anyone comment on ease of install on either the Goodyear eagle F1 tubeless or Schwalbe Pro One TT Tubeless on the WTO?

jlok

by jlok

AC0 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:59 pm
jlok wrote:I broke my rear Ultra WTO 60 (silly attempt to hop over a ditch, skill up needed :( ), so I decided to lace a new wheel with the CULT hub and LB WR65 rim.
Did you have to make a custom instructions for drilling the G3 spoke pattern or do LB know what needs to be done?

Also, how did they build? I've heard campagnolo rims are slightly out of round to compensate for the G3 spoke pattern and large unsupported rim section.

Sent from my SM-G996W using Tapatalk
Yes, it has to be a custom order. I have just sent them the hub and they will drill the rim accordingly. Apart from that you will do all the usual custom stuffs like decals, rim surface finish, etc.

I'm not if LB would do the "slightly out of round" thing but it makes sense to me if one is to optimize the layup of the rim for G3.

I think I will post subsequent updates in the Light Bicycle thread rather than here.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

sfo423 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:03 pm
Can anyone comment on ease of install on either the Goodyear eagle F1 tubeless or Schwalbe Pro One TT Tubeless on the WTO?
Eagle F1s are straightforward. No experience with Schwalbe.

Lenfaki

by Lenfaki

sfo423 wrote:
For what it's worth.. I fitted the Schwalbe Pro One TLE (not the TT though) on my WTO 60s yesterday. My first tubeless tire, so I was expecting some struggle. Took me about 20 min. I did use 1 tire lever, but likely could have managed without with a bit more effort. Used a normal track pump, I was surprised I got them seated right away, no soapy water or other tricks needed. Holding air very well for a day already, and ther's not even latex in yet. Haven't ridden them yet, so I wonder how these will compare to my previous setup (Pirelli P Zero Race with latex inner tubes) which was super smooth riding with no flats in 6000km .

sfo423

by sfo423

I have the Pzero tubeless in a 26 on my Speed 40 DB and they are a mofo to get on. But, once they are on, they are great tires. I have had the Pro One in the past; much easier to get on but the tires are very fragile and cut/puncture easily. I picked up some Pro One TT tubeless for a price that I could not refuse, so I figured what the heck.

Lenfaki wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:09 pm
sfo423 wrote:
For what it's worth.. I fitted the Schwalbe Pro One TLE (not the TT though) on my WTO 60s yesterday. My first tubeless tire, so I was expecting some struggle. Took me about 20 min. I did use 1 tire lever, but likely could have managed without with a bit more effort. Used a normal track pump, I was surprised I got them seated right away, no soapy water or other tricks needed. Holding air very well for a day already, and ther's not even latex in yet. Haven't ridden them yet, so I wonder how these will compare to my previous setup (Pirelli P Zero Race with latex inner tubes) which was super smooth riding with no flats in 6000km .

skinnie

by skinnie

Hello all,
I own a titanium carrera scatto (xs size) and after testing a pair of home made carbon wheels (40mm 17c tubeless ready Chinese carbon rim, Novatec F482SB hubs, with 1346g weight) I can’t stop saying that this bike needs a pair of 45 WTOs.
After reading the whole thread I am now a bit confuse…between the 45 and 60s…

Honestly I think it will be too much.
Here is the bike with my shamal Mille

Here is how the bike looks like with Chinese 40mm wheelset.

What you guys think the 60s would look like in the bike?

Running 28mm gp5000 tubeless, and that is my intention for WTOs also.
I live in north of france (Lille), so not much hilly, a bit of wind and some so so roads.
Also for trips to the alps and hilly stuff I will continue to have my camapgnolo shamal milles.

Also, I contacted 2 lbs in portugal and in france and they told me no more stock of rim brake wto and most likely Campagnolo won’t produce more.
Bike discount says they will have stock on the 21/02. Anyone knows more about the future of rim brake wheels campagnolo?
Carrera Scatto/Ultegra R8000 11s/Campangolo Shamal Mille

usr

by usr

I'm usually an advocate of 60ies, but at that frame size, and with nice round metal, I'd vote lower. Disappearance of rim carbon would not surprise me at all, I hope that at least Zondas stay a "forever option".

GaBa

by GaBa

I will soon be getting WTOs 45. Will Turbo cottons in 26mm bulge a lot or not? Thing is LTD in all black is only available in 26 and not in 24 as tan.

The other thing I'm having doubts about is whether they'll fit in my frame, Dogma F8. Any experience? I know 28s don't fit, but with Corsas 25 on C17 rim (zonda) I have some space left. Will probably have to try and see for myself..

MDecius

by MDecius

GaBa wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:49 pm
I will soon be getting WTOs 45. Will Turbo cottons in 26mm bulge a lot or not? Thing is LTD in all black is only available in 26 and not in 24 as tan.

The other thing I'm having doubts about is whether they'll fit in my frame, Dogma F8. Any experience? I know 28s don't fit, but with Corsas 25 on C17 rim (zonda) I have some space left. Will probably have to try and see for myself..
I would think not, because WTOs are 19mm internal. My GP5000 S TR in 25mm size measured at 24.8mm when inflated to 6 bar tubeless. I would think that you get 26.x mm, based on just searching a bit for Turbo Cotton sizings and not finding any reports of significant over-sizing on relatively narrow internal rims.
Road - Time Alpe d'Huez 01 rim
All-road - Diverge Elite DSW '16 disc

bobones

by bobones

skinnie wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:33 am
Hello all,
I own a titanium carrera scatto (xs size) and after testing a pair of home made carbon wheels (40mm 17c tubeless ready Chinese carbon rim, Novatec F482SB hubs, with 1346g weight) I can’t stop saying that this bike needs a pair of 45 WTOs.
After reading the whole thread I am now a bit confuse…between the 45 and 60s…

Honestly I think it will be too much.
Here is the bike with my shamal Mille

Here is how the bike looks like with Chinese 40mm wheelset.

What you guys think the 60s would look like in the bike?

Running 28mm gp5000 tubeless, and that is my intention for WTOs also.
I live in north of france (Lille), so not much hilly, a bit of wind and some so so roads.
Also for trips to the alps and hilly stuff I will continue to have my camapgnolo shamal milles.

Also, I contacted 2 lbs in portugal and in france and they told me no more stock of rim brake wto and most likely Campagnolo won’t produce more.
Bike discount says they will have stock on the 21/02. Anyone knows more about the future of rim brake wheels campagnolo?
I'm probably a bit too late with this reply, but here are a couple of photos of my titanium bike with 50s and 60s that I took just after I built it. I actually use this bike with shallow alu rims now, but I think the 60s are indeed too much, the 50s look better, but I think your 40s above look great. If you're set on WTOs then 45s for sure is my advice.

50s

WTO 60s

neeb

by neeb

It's entirely in the eye of the beholder- personally I think thin tubes and deep wheels look great..🙂

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

usr

by usr

Frame size is also a factor, the tiny ones can look a little cramped with very deep wheels (deep frame or not). But that's certainly not as much of a difference as that at the other end of the parameter space: large frames with shallow wheels are at best tolerable of they have thin round tubes, if the large frame has deep aero tubing shallow wheels are an absolute no-go. Tiny deep frames on the other hand go surprisingly well with shallow wheels, because the visual crampedness of the frame and the visual emptiness of the wheels somehow balance out.

Perhaps it could be put in a rule like this: "if the headtube is deeper than the wheels, the trailing vertical edge of the headtube must be shorter than wheel depth." I don't think that eye of the beholder is much of a factor when a deep, long headtube is paired with wheels of insufficient depth (for that headtube).