AX Lightness Ultra

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bogologo

by bogologo

Thx Guys.
This is very helpful.
I just have now to decide if I buy first the 55t or the 25t.
Both look extremely appealing to me, while I will use my zipp 202 Tubular for training.

mai

by mai

bogologo wrote:
mai wrote:For me, the ax braking is excellent. I have a pair of 24T and a pair of 55T - they outperform my Enve (6.7, old brake track) and Shimano (DA C75) sets by quite a margin.

The wheels are supplied with a black prince pads, but I've been told by the local distributor that they do not limit your choice of pads. For me, Reynolds cryo power (blue) and Campy red pads work best.

Hai Mai

Thank you very much for reply. If you would have to choose just for one of them 24 vs 55. which one would you go for?
I am stuck btw a rock and a hard place.
Thx for your answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would get the 55s if i can only choose one.

the 24s are very nice climbing wheels. they are obviously extremely light and you definitely feel it when you go up climbs - like you are in easier gears. however, they don't keep speed well on flats, so unless you do a lot of climbing, the 55s offer a better compromise. 12xxg is light enough, especially if you came from heavier wheelsets.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mai

by mai

the 55s

the 24s, and me passing out after a PR attempt on a 15% climb

Vuong05

by Vuong05

Both the 24 and 55 look good on your bike Mai. I had the chance to demo a set of the 24 last year and they were amazing for climbing and descending. Very good breaking for a carbon wheelset and provides confidence when pushing hard down a steep descent. Much better breaking than my Lightweight wheelset.

P.S. If anyone has a pair of 24/25T wheelset for sale, let me know as I want to pick up a set.

Cheers.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

vamoots58

by vamoots58

How do the AX rims hold up? I have a pair of Corimas that I really like, but I dinged the rear rim on a railroad track this summer. Still useable, but can be some slight brake rub if pads are adjusted to close to rim. I've had other carbon tubular rims that have gone over those same tracks numerous times with no issue...

sp3000

by sp3000

I have the Ultra 45C and they hold up great. The braking is very good and silent. I did try a few different skewers and have found the DT Swiss do make a noticeable difference to the stiffness of the wheels. I tried Tune and Extralite, Tune very weak clamping and Extralite better but the butted and skinny skewer has just too much stretch. So I highly recommend using these wheels and hubs with a good strong skewer.

Vilsheimer

by Vilsheimer

Digging out an old thread here.
Owning a set of Bora One 50 Clinchers - great wheels - have been climbing & descending almost 200'000m with them this year. Finestre, Mortirolo, Zoncolan, Stelvio, Marmotte - you name it... Zero problems. Just sometimes my 72kg don't seem heavy enough to keep them away from stonger crosswinds (30+kmh) on descents.

So I was looking for a similar wheel, lower profile, ideally a touch lighter, ideally tubeless - the longing for something different made me stay away from the obvious choice of Bora 35s.

Ordered a pair of AX Lightness Ultra 28C - which I received yesterday. Seemed like a great choice - especially as I'm German, too ;).

Suprisingly, the set I received did not have the Bora-like 3Diamant sanded braking track that they had pictured on the homepage.

http://ax-lightness.de/typo3temp/pics/0629edbcfc.jpg

Bikerumor's Eurobike 2016 pictures look sanded, too
https://bikerumor-wpengine.netdna-ssl.c ... ptions.jpg

Anyone bought a set recently and could comment on the braking surface they got? Sanded/Clear Coat?

As I really climb & descend a lot and love my bora's braking, I'm worried they won't brake well enough on the clear coat - and will probably look ugly being scratched by the pads.

They put 559g+674g=1233g (including rim tape) on the scales vs 1150g claimed (guessing without tape) - also slightly disappointing.

sp3000

by sp3000

No need to worry, mine are like that and you'll find the whole rim is hand polished not clear coated like others so there is no need to sand the clear off the brake track. They are special wheels, enjoy!

zappafile123

by zappafile123

I had a set of 2016 Ultra 55's. Quite simply the worst, more ineffective braking track I've experienced - brake pulse, with no modulation, it was either on of off. Hopefully they've updated them becuase I'd say they were bording on being unsafe. That being said, I had a set of Tune Skyliners too which are apparently AX rims and the braking was consistent and fine. ... so... it depends and the year and what you get.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

Vilsheimer

by Vilsheimer

Thanks guys - So feedback is that the new 2019 version doesn't feature a special brake track any more. They've apparently tested this vs the old sanded track, and the "new" track was braking equally well after bedding in on the first few rides. Hmmm.
Apparently there are also yellow wear indicators built into the brake track that show up after ~30k km indicating that the rim needs replacing.
To be totally honest, I'm a big fan of the Bora braking track and think a non-sanded one (that is wearing off) might be a step back.
They promised to update the misleading pictures on their homepage soon.

Regarding the weight, even AX was surprised that they come in at 85g over (incl tape, on 2 sets of scales). Having paid up 500 EUR for the 100g lighter Ultras vs the Selections, I still find this very disappointing - it takes 2 seconds to weight the rims. I expect this to be done before shipping - for a wheelset whose main selling point is being ~100g lighter than competitors. If I was living in Germany, I would probably send them back and get XXX 2s, Boras or Gipfelsturms - living outside of the EU doesn't make that process as easy unfortunately.

Their customer service was very responsive at first (replying within a day), but after I pushed for a lighter pair of replacement rims, if available (on which I offered to pay the shipping) - they went radio silent since 2.5 weeks - even upon follow-up emails.

So the wheels still sit unused in the box. Can't deny a certain amount of buyer's remorse. Will keep you updated if something moves.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Ax just moved from Bavaria to Duderstadt. If i were you, i would try again. Send mail over the Benobikes instead.
https://www.benobikes.com/en/contact
Get in contact with Nils Wiedemann
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

KCookie

by KCookie

Agree with the above comment. Contact Nils, he will certainly answer any questions quickly. He was amazing at answering the high volume of emails I sent him before I bought my Ultras. He even weighed every wheel to find me the lightest pair. He went above and behind to help me out. I couldn't have asked for a better service.

sp3000

by sp3000

KCookie wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:58 pm
He went above and behind to help me out. I couldn't have asked for a better service.
Now that is going the extra mile! :P

KCookie

by KCookie

sp3000 wrote:
KCookie wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:58 pm
He went above and behind to help me out. I couldn't have asked for a better service.
Now that is going the extra mile! :P
Yeah just noted the mistake. Lol. I should say behond. Thanks for pointing this out. Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vilsheimer

by Vilsheimer

Many thanks for the advice guys - Nils is indeed the one who I've been in touch with until 3 weeks ago - hoping that it's just a question of holidays etc. So pushing again and not giving up...