AX Lightness Ultra

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bogologo

by bogologo

Hi
Does anyone know how well the AX Lightness ultra wheels break in the dry and wet?
I am considering the 55t or the 38t but can not find many reviews on them.

I am also would be very interested in your general review of them.
Thx

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I haven't tested them but Ronald Kuba on youtube has reviewed these wheels and compared them to Zipp and Enve.

The result was if I remember correctly, that the AX braking surfaces left a lot to be desired.

He calls these brands "boutique" items because of their limited production.

They might be fine for sunday riding but not for racing.

/a (I haven't tested any of these, just quoting)

bogologo

by bogologo

Hi Alcatraz
If they are not for racing what can you recommend. I am looking for light deep section wheels.
Thx

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Please know that AX-Lightness modified their rims for 2018, but I do not know if the finish is any different.
I still own a set that's a few years old, with the enbossed "AX" on the carbon.
The rim braking issue was simply the shiny gloss clearcoat.
A little 600 grit sandpaper, crosshatched, on the brake track works wonders.

bogologo

by bogologo

Hi UpFromOne

Where did you this information that they changed their wheels for 2018? I read that they made some changes for last year but didn’t see any change for 2018!

Thx

mai

by mai

For me, the ax braking is excellent. I have a pair of 24T and a pair of 55T - they outperform my Enve (6.7, old brake track) and Shimano (DA C75) sets by quite a margin.

The wheels are supplied with a black prince pads, but I've been told by the local distributor that they do not limit your choice of pads. For me, Reynolds cryo power (blue) and Campy red pads work best.

bogologo

by bogologo

mai wrote:For me, the ax braking is excellent. I have a pair of 24T and a pair of 55T - they outperform my Enve (6.7, old brake track) and Shimano (DA C75) sets by quite a margin.

The wheels are supplied with a black prince pads, but I've been told by the local distributor that they do not limit your choice of pads. For me, Reynolds cryo power (blue) and Campy red pads work best.

Hai Mai

Thank you very much for reply. If you would have to choose just for one of them 24 vs 55. which one would you go for?
I am stuck btw a rock and a hard place.
Thx for your answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richscott

by richscott

bogologo wrote:Hi
Does anyone know how well the AX Lightness ultra wheels break in the dry and wet?
I am considering the 55t or the 38t but can not find many reviews on them.

I am also would be very interested in your general review of them.
Thx

richscott

by richscott

My Ax wheels u24 tubular are really stiff and robust used them as race wheels for 3 years without the need for truing. Braking is ok but not campag bora standard.

richscott

by richscott

My Ax wheels u24 tubular are really stiff and robust used them as race wheels for 3 years without the need for truing. Braking is ok but not campag bora standard.

richscott

by richscott

My Ax wheels u24 tubular are really stiff and robust used them as race wheels for 3 years without the need for truing. Braking is ok but not campag bora standard. Cheers

richscott

by richscott

My Ax wheels u24 tubular are really stiff and robust used them as race wheels for 3 years without the need for truing. Braking is ok but not campag bora standard. Cheers

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

bogologo wrote:Hi UpFromOne

Where did you this information that they changed their wheels for 2018? I read that they made some changes for last year but didn’t see any change for 2018!

Thx

Could be we're talking the same thing. Rim depth went from 24 to 25mm. No more embossed logo. Slightly different wall thickness. And best of all, the claimed Ultra (old) weight of 195g is now truthful. Forgot where I saw the pic, but someone weighed a 25T at 196g actual.

AX site: http://ax-lightness.de/en/cycling/bike- ... -disc-25t/

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I have the 2017 AX Ultra 25T's. I don't ride in the rain [unless unplanned/accidentally] so can't comment of wet braking. Dry is excellent, silent, swift, progressive. The black pads that came with the wheels are still in their bag. Pads of choice are the Corima red cork pads. Have zero need for any other pads. Use them with my Corima's the AX's and Zipps............

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

I have been using Ax Ultra 24t for 3 years, have put on heaps of kms. The brake very well in the dry and pretty good in the wet. Good enough to lock up the rear if not careful and that is with SRAM red brakes. I suspect they would be even better with ee or dura ace. I race and train with them with no issues at all.

2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!