AX Lightness Ultra

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

I took them to my local shop today, and after verifying the weight we even dropped them from shoulder high onto a thin mat. The sound was like an orchestra tuning up :D
Just because the pieces are light in weight doesn't make them weak. These carbon spokes are definitely UniDirectional and can take more tension than steel.

The practical point is that these components open up alot more options. You may not want a carbon nipple for whatever subjective reason, but alloy ones are about .15g heavier.
Same for going with ti spokes, the carbon spokes shave about 4-5 g per wheel depending on count, but you may like the durability of ti even though they should be re-tensioned after a build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

This thread has been about the AX-Lightness "Ultra" series rims, which IMO are simply the best in the world.

And for one last wheel photo (pardon my shop lighting not good for pics), I completed my mods, and my pair now weighs 663g.
The AX-L rims are stock, the front 195g and the rear 193g.
The spokes are EIE carbon oval spokes, just arrived from China, and weigh in the 2.3g range each.
The nipples are also carbon composite (but prototypes).
And the Extralite hubs run Omni + Ceramicspeed bearings, and my latest custom carbon axles.
Finally I will glue these up and go ride them (when the weather is right).
I hereby lay claim the world's lightest 24/20 spoke wheelset (that I know of).
Attachments
AXL.UltraRim4.pair.scale.jpg

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

It's May and I've had the immense pleasure of riding these wheels.
They really seem to just float up the hills.
And yet they feel as stiff as any wheel I've ever been on.
All credit to the EIE carbon spokes.

Plus, every time I check them on the wheelstand, there's nothing to do. Haven't moved a tenth of a millimeter out of true.

I'm just giddy over these. :D

arcadia

by arcadia

Would you be able to advice me so I can build a similar wheel set?
where to buy rims, carbon spokes and hubs?
I want to build a set to mount with XDR cassette.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

arcadia wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:12 pm
Extralite's web site sells their goods direct. Plus dealers such as Starbike here can get the hubs. And they offer a XDR freehub for road hubs.
EIE Carbon's web site sells their carbon spokes direct. Any 14g nipple works.
The difficult part is sourcing AX Lightness rims. They have been sticklers for only selling wheelsets, but a few wheelbuilders over the years have been able to obtain rims.
I think today with the reduced demand (for non-aero wheels) it would be a miracle to find just the rims.
Older Edge Composites rims were also at 200g, but those are long gone.

Beyond this, you have to do your own research and generate your own experience just like everyone (except the super rich of course).

stermyx

by stermyx

UpFromOne wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:38 pm
arcadia wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:12 pm
Extralite's web site sells their goods direct. Plus dealers such as Starbike here can get the hubs. And they offer a XDR freehub for road hubs.
EIE Carbon's web site sells their carbon spokes direct. Any 14g nipple works.
The difficult part is sourcing AX Lightness rims. They have been sticklers for only selling wheelsets, but a few wheelbuilders over the years have been able to obtain rims.
I think today with the reduced demand (for non-aero wheels) it would be a miracle to find just the rims.
Older Edge Composites rims were also at 200g, but those are long gone.

Beyond this, you have to do your own research and generate your own experience just like everyone (except the super rich of course).
Hello! Any tips or recommendations for building wheels with carbon spokes??

Thanks.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

The most interesting thing about carbon spokes is that as you tension them, there is a very immediate point where they go from loose to tight, because of zero stretch.
So you have to stay ahead of the tension curve, and plan that in the next 1/4 turn or so, the spoke set will become tight enough that only finishing adjustments can be had.
In other words, once tight without play, they will likely not take another full turn of the nipples (e.g. to remove any runout or hop).
So at that point the rim has to pretty much be there already with room for only the smallest adjustments.

The other thing for me is that I won't cross carbon spokes. The pattern cross is still there of course, but the spokes should not contact each opther IMO.
Carbon rubbing on carbon will not last anywhere near as long as metal contact. Carbon spokes are stiff enough that you don't need that contact anyway.

stermyx

by stermyx

UpFromOne wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:09 pm
The most interesting thing about carbon spokes is that as you tension them, there is a very immediate point where they go from loose to tight, because of zero stretch.
So you have to stay ahead of the tension curve, and plan that in the next 1/4 turn or so, the spoke set will become tight enough that only finishing adjustments can be had.
In other words, once tight without play, they will likely not take another full turn of the nipples (e.g. to remove any runout or hop).
So at that point the rim has to pretty much be there already with room for only the smallest adjustments.

The other thing for me is that I won't cross carbon spokes. The pattern cross is still there of course, but the spokes should not contact each opther IMO.
Carbon rubbing on carbon will not last anywhere near as long as metal contact. Carbon spokes are stiff enough that you don't need that contact anyway.
Thank you!!