Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

3Pio wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:31 pm
Dannnnn wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:05 pm
Recently picked up a set of FFWD F6r tubs and bought some Vittoria Corsa G 2.0 25mm tubs.
Plan is to tape them on using the Effetto Mariposa tape.

Planning on using them for crit racing (on an oval track) and can't wait to give them a spin.
Im curious why u will use tape vs glue with Mastik for example?
Honestly, because I feel that glue will be too much faff.
I've got a couple of friends that have been flying tubs for years and they didn't sell it to me, and tbf they told me to just tape them.

My LBS glues tubs for £45 a wheel though

3Pio

by 3Pio

Dannnnn wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:04 pm
3Pio wrote:
Dannnnn wrote:
Recently picked up a set of FFWD F6r tubs and bought some Vittoria Corsa G 2.0 25mm tubs.

Planning on using them for crit racing (on an oval track) and can't wait to give them a spin.
I've got a couple of friends that have been flying tubs for years and they didn't sell it to me, and tbf they told me to just tape them.

I feel u totally now.. But i'll share my experience which was similar as yours.. And some tried to explaing me like glueing is not that mess/hard as it look like and better than tape.. And if u go with tubular go all the way.. Also glueing is part of ritual :)

First few tries i done back then was dissaster.. But i made few mistakes, one of them was too much pressure in the tire.. I even wanted to get back to clinchers and almost sold my tubular wheelsets..

But when u start feeling what to do is really easy, and not time consuming as it look like

So i suggest to try it.. And ur self.. U dont need LBS for that.

If u have new wheelsets:

1. Use some scotch brite to sand the wheelsets (just slightly to make ti better for glue connection)

2. One thin layer on rim, One thin layer on tire

Wait 24h

3. Another thin layer on rim, Another thin layer on tire

Wait 24h

4. This is most important step: Final step

Before putting glue now try to put tire on rim and find which pressure is best to be able to put, but still some pressure in tire.. Consider with glue will be a bit harder so maybe remove just a tid air pressure..

Put final layer of glue on rim and install the tire

5. Pump it about 2 bar.. Center the tire and after this im using pole stick to press the tire in the rim

Center again if needed

6. Im using my weight to press tire inside the rim on as many spots as possible on 360 deg

Then pump it to about 7-8 bars.. Wait 24h

7. Remove pressure from tire and use thumb test (with some pressure try to remove the tire from the rim)

If u allready have glue on wheels and just putting new tire, then just one thin layer to smooth everything and next is final layer (after 24h)

Again try it.. All this steps took very little time per step, and if have some skills in hands it's not hard at all.. And almost forget, stretch new tires on some spare wheelsets/rims for few days or better weeks (depend from tire. If u use Cotton based tires u dont need too much force to install it. If u use Conti tubs as long as possible will help).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

3Pio wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:44 pm
Dannnnn wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:04 pm
3Pio wrote:
Dannnnn wrote:

I feel u totally now.. But i'll share my experience which was similar as yours.. And some tried to explaing me like glueing is not that mess/hard as it look like and better than tape.. And if u go with tubular go all the way.. Also glueing is part of ritual :)

First few tries i done back then was dissaster.. But i made few mistakes, one of them was too much pressure in the tire.. I even wanted to get back to clinchers and almost sold my tubular wheelsets..

But when u start feeling what to do is really easy, and not time consuming as it look like

So i suggest to try it.. And ur self.. U dont need LBS for that.

If u have new wheelsets:

1. Use some scotch brite to sand the wheelsets (just slightly to make ti better for glue connection)

2. One thin layer on rim, One thin layer on tire

Wait 24h

3. Another thin layer on rim, Another thin layer on tire

Wait 24h

4. This is most important step: Final step

Before putting glue now try to put tire on rim and find which pressure is best to be able to put, but still some pressure in tire.. Consider with glue will be a bit harder so maybe remove just a tid air pressure..

Put final layer of glue on rim and install the tire

5. Pump it about 2 bar.. Center the tire and after this im using pole stick to press the tire in the rim

Center again if needed

6. Im using my weight to press tire inside the rim on as many spots as possible on 360 deg

Then pump it to about 7-8 bars.. Wait 24h

7. Remove pressure from tire and use thumb test (with some pressure try to remove the tire from the rim)

If u allready have glue on wheels and just putting new tire, then just one thin layer to smooth everything and next is final layer (after 24h)

Again try it.. All this steps took very little time per step, and if have some skills in hands it's not hard at all.. And almost forget, stretch new tires on some spare wheelsets/rims for few days or better weeks (depend from tire. If u use Cotton based tires u dont need too much force to install it. If u use Conti tubs as long as possible will help).
I tried your method when I was a tub newbie. Now I combine water mehod and 1-layer method with great result. Minimum glue and time spent, proven safe even during fast technical descending.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

ico

by ico

@3Pio Exactly my thoughts.... tubulars, rim brakes, mechanical shifting. :thumbup: :D