New 1255g 45mm Mavic Cosmic Ultimate

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
S6ED

by S6ED

Steve Curtis wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:45 am
S6ED wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:56 pm
Maddie wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:45 am
My Farsport Feders with RD230 hubs, 45mm deep, 28mm wide, no access holes: 1231g.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973U1 mit Tapatalk
Are you comparing a wheelset 100% hand made in France (Mavic) with cheap labor chinese wheels (Farsport)?

There's hardly a comparison to be made here.
I agree with you. I don't think a Mavic has made a genuine leading wheel for 15 years or more.
They're a bit like Maglite - once great, but now trading on past glory with inferior products at inflated prices.

Mavic did produce some great cycling clothing but that's about it.
In fact, you DON'T agree with me. Which company has produced a a "genuine leading wheel" for 15 years or more? What does that mean in the first place?

A number of companies produce quality wheels, Mavic is one among them. Mavic is not more expensive than other known brands. Some people look desperately for someone to bash.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

S6ED wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:08 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
S6ED wrote:
Maddie wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:45 am
My Farsport Feders with RD230 hubs, 45mm deep, 28mm wide, no access holes: 1231g.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973U1 mit Tapatalk
Are you comparing a wheelset 100% hand made in France (Mavic) with cheap labor chinese wheels (Farsport)?

I agree with you. I don't think a Mavic has made a genuine leading wheel for 15 years or more.
They're a bit like Maglite - once great, but now trading on past glory with inferior products at inflated prices.

In fact, you DON'T agree with me. Which company has produced a a "genuine leading wheel" for 15 years or more? What does that mean in the first place?

A number of companies produce quality wheels, Mavic is one among them. Mavic is not more expensive than other known brands. Some people look desperately for someone to bash.
I agree with tiz92, not you and you disillusioned Mavic fanboyism.

To conclude. They were good - they are now not very good. They should go back to making winter jackets, they were very good at that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

S6ED

by S6ED

Steve Curtis wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:29 pm
S6ED wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:08 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
S6ED wrote:

I agree with tiz92, not you and you disillusioned Mavic fanboyism.

To conclude. They were good - they are now not very good. They should go back to making winter jackets, they were very good at that.
Be respectful and civil. You don't have to expose yourself being an obnoxious hater.

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

[/quote]

Be respectful and civil. You don't have to expose yourself being an obnoxious hater.
[/quote]

I have been, however I don't tolerate shortsightedness and egotistical behaviour.

Enjoy your Mavics 😂

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Quite a rich history...their new products are welcomed...seems they are on trend and some innovation on carbon spokes...

1255g and 45mm depth is impressive.

S6ED

by S6ED

Steve Curtis wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:43 pm
[/quote]

I have been, however I don't tolerate shortsightedness and egotistical behaviour.

Enjoy your Mavics 😂
[/quote]

It's a bike forum, you don't have to be a knob, do you?

S6ED

by S6ED

rudye9mr wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:01 am
Quite a rich history...their new products are welcomed...seems they are on trend and some innovation on carbon spokes...

1255g and 45mm depth is impressive.
+1

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

S6ED wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:23 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:43 pm

Enjoy your Mavics 😂
[/quote]

It's a bike forum, you don't have to be a knob, do you?
[/quote]

Ditto

C36

by C36

Steve Curtis wrote:
I don't think a Mavic has'nt made a genuine leading wheel for 15 years or more.
You seem a bit shortsighted here or mixing “leading wheel” with “commercially leading wheel”.
Over the last 15 years I am surprised to see how many sub-std designed wheels (or very average wheels) turned to be so popular despite numerous problems (think Zipp who beside their aero have been plagued with mechanical problems). Mavic did miss the wider rim trend and suffered from the rise of inhouse wheels (roval, bontrager…). Now just to refresh your memory:
- the Ultimate line, has been among the very best (and sometimes the best) tubular racing wheel for 15 years straight
- the CXR was the absolute fastest wheel until the UCI change the regulation and killed an interesting concept
- each of their TL design iteration worked better than the rest at the time, they are the ones who put an end to the shitshow we had 4-5 years ago when it was a bit of a lottery matching a tire with a rim.
- edit: almost missed the Io track wheel that is by many light years the most successful track wheel.

What you illustrate reflect the change of focus from technical excellence down to simplicity where std solutions are preferred over exclusive, more complex ones despite bringing something to the table.

S6ED

by S6ED

C36 wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:45 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
I don't think a Mavic has'nt made a genuine leading wheel for 15 years or more.
You seem a bit shortsighted here or mixing “leading wheel” with “commercially leading wheel”.
Over the last 15 years I am surprised to see how many sub-std designed wheels (or very average wheels) turned to be so popular despite numerous problems (think Zipp who beside their aero have been plagued with mechanical problems). Mavic did miss the wider rim trend and suffered from the rise of inhouse wheels (roval, bontrager…). Now just to refresh your memory:
- the Ultimate line, has been among the very best (and sometimes the best) tubular racing wheel for 15 years straight
- the CXR was the absolute fastest wheel until the UCI change the regulation and killed an interesting concept
- each of their TL design iteration worked better than the rest at the time, they are the ones who put an end to the shitshow we had 4-5 years ago when it was a bit of a lottery matching a tire with a rim.
- edit: almost missed the Io track wheel that is by many light years the most successful track wheel.

What you illustrate reflect the change of focus from technical excellence down to simplicity where std solutions are preferred over exclusive, more complex ones despite bringing something to the table.
Indeed.

Also worth mentioning is that the current Cosmic SLR tubeless series with undrilled rim bed (adds stiffness and eliminates the need for and hassle of rim tape) is one of the best (light, stiff, aero, reliable, relatively affordable and good looking) in the market. The ID360 freewheel works flawlessly (I can attest to that after 50.000km).

Lastly, it's a French company and they manufacture their wheels in Europe, so I support that!

But hey, there's always people who like to hate and denigrate whoever they consider to be "weak", so that they feel superior themselves. An authoritarian personality of sorts (but that's a topic for a different forum).

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

On the flip side, FarSports make very good wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fatpinarellorider

by fatpinarellorider

They are nice wheels, to be sure.
But completely out of my price range.😟