The CAAD Build Thread...

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

Leon

by Leon

I want to convert my CAAD12 disc to 12spd Di2. Did anyone already make this conversion? I'm looking how to get the cable from the battery (seatpost) to the rear derailleur. As you know the axle is spinning free in the bottom bracket. So, how to route a cable coming from the seattube into the chainstay without having it rub against the crankaxle?

I know I could mount a BB for 24mm axles which contains a sleeve around the axle. But I don't want to loose my 566gr SI crankset for a 700gr Ultegra one. And also change 50 grams of bearings for a 100+ grams BB.
Ride bikes, not tanks!

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Leon wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:30 am
So, how to route a cable coming from the seattube into the chainstay without having it rub against the crankaxle?
What worked for me was 3D-printing a thin spindle shield, mine weighs 3.7g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Leon

by Leon

Thank you Klaster. That is a great idea. Going to look into that.
Ride bikes, not tanks!

Ricenpeace

by Ricenpeace

New to me CAAD12. Built for crits and short road races here in Zurich Switzerland. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willmac

by willmac

Dannnnn wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:24 am
willmac wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:29 pm
As discussed above, some detailed pictures of mudguard mounts and drive train

Can you reshare the photos as the links are broken now.

I'm looking at getting a CAAD12 as a winter bike and want to know how feasible full mudguards will be
Long time since i've been on here, apologies for the late reply. Here you go
Attachments
IMG_0016.jpeg

Steelcycles

by Steelcycles

So I did it... Found a Cannondale caad 12 with disc breaks with under 100km on it and a great price. Now I want to built this bike out to be light and fast. Looking for suggestions from the community.

My question. What woukd be your ultimate build out for the caad 12? Here are some upgrades I'm thinking and I'm very open to suggestions. I've only been in the cycling community for a few years and this is my first attempt at a build out.

Comes with a 105 groupset -

-Hyper lun carbon wheels
-30c gt 5000 tires
-Hambini bottom bracket to fix those Bb issues that historically make the caad series of bikes Creek.
-ceramic speed oversize pully wheel

2nd year if I still enjoy the bike.
-ultegra upgrade
-carbon drop bars (feel free to add your suggestion in comment on good carbon drop bars)
- I actually have a local bike pain shop I'm thinking of making this a real unique bike with a cool custom paint job.

Thanks for readying thia long, look forward to hearing about your upgrade suggestions

bmrk

by bmrk

Buy the wheels, tires, carbon drop bars. Buy a PRO Vibe Carbon Aero or a Prime Primavera Aero Carbon Handlebar depending on your budget, just a suggestion as there are many options.

Definitely forget about the ceramic speed OSPW and the hambini BB.

If a new BB is really needed buy something that works for an acceptable cost, like https://www.bike24.com/p2377860.html

Leon

by Leon

That BB in the link will not work. Caad12 disc has BB30a which has a 73mm housing.

I would first check how the bearings are. If they are ok you're probably not get any creaking. Don't get scared of that even before you ride the bike. There are lot of BB30 out there and a minority creaks (and complain on the WWW - that is why it seems like a big problem).

I would get some wheels first. Please be aware Cannondale specs say only 28c tires max. But maybe 30c will fit with narrow rims.... I already have some nasty marks in the paint from 28c tires! So make sure you get rid of the rubber hairs (I think new tires already come without them).
Ride bikes, not tanks!

Steelcycles

by Steelcycles

bmrk wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:42 pm
Buy the wheels, tires, carbon drop bars. Buy a PRO Vibe Carbon Aero or a Prime Primavera Aero Carbon Handlebar depending on your budget, just a suggestion as there are many options.

Definitely forget about the ceramic speed OSPW and the hambini BB.

If a new BB is really needed buy something that works for an acceptable cost, like https://www.bike24.com/p2377860.html

Thanks for the recommendation. Do you have any cracks you recommend? Should I just upgrade to shimano ultegra cranks? Because I did a good 40km ride yesterday with the bike, I feel like the bike doesn't put down the full force of the pedaling I'm doing. Can't tell why. I do hear quite a bit of noise from the bb. Do you think that's why y?

bmrk

by bmrk

Leon wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:08 pm
That BB in the link will not work. Caad12 disc has BB30a which has a 73mm housing.

I would first check how the bearings are. If they are ok you're probably not get any creaking. Don't get scared of that even before you ride the bike. There are lot of BB30 out there and a minority creaks (and complain on the WWW - that is why it seems like a big problem).

I would get some wheels first. Please be aware Cannondale specs say only 28c tires max. But maybe 30c will fit with narrow rims.... I already have some nasty marks in the paint from 28c tires! So make sure you get rid of the rubber hairs (I think new tires already come without them).
Thanks for the correction, i mistakenly copied the wrong link.
My point was that if he actually need to replace the BB there is no reason to spend 500usd to get a good BB.

kompromesso

by kompromesso

Ricenpeace wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:45 pm
New to me CAAD12. Built for crits and short road races here in Zurich Switzerland. Image

v nice. weight?

Ricenpeace

by Ricenpeace

kompromesso wrote:
Ricenpeace wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:45 pm

v nice. weight?
7.8kg as seen.

No lightweight components.

W/

bottle cages
Computer mount
60mm Hunt Aerodynamicist wheels
28mm GP 5K w/tpu tubes
Wheels manufacturing BB30A to 24mm BB
Full Ultegra 53/39 w/11-34 (very punchy here in Switzerland)
Size 56

No pedals as those are my power meter pedals

cmunozh

by cmunozh

Hi all,

Here is another caad12 user from Zürich ( :-) ). I had a "small" accident with my former caad12 and I am looking for some vertical tube ring or adaptor where I could place my front derailleur. Do you know if that type exists? The vertical tube at that section is not circular :-(

cheers,
Cmunozh
Attachments
photo1697046547.jpeg
My garage: Caad12, BRT C0, Cannondale Scalpel SE II, Specialized Epic pro '92, Swiss military bike '45, Orbea Gredos '87, Specialized Langster '12, Caadx '15...

Leon

by Leon

Leon wrote:
I want to convert my CAAD12 disc to 12spd Di2. Did anyone already make this conversion? I'm looking how to get the cable from the battery (seatpost) to the rear derailleur. As you know the axle is spinning free in the bottom bracket. So, how to route a cable coming from the seattube into the chainstay without having it rub against the crankaxle?

I know I could mount a BB for 24mm axles which contains a sleeve around the axle. But I don't want to loose my 566gr SI crankset for a 700gr Ultegra one. And also change 50 grams of bearings for a 100+ grams BB.
Conversion is ready. Made a home made BB sleeve out of a plastic bottle. Works perfect! I cut the original cable guide (as I don't run cables anymore). For the correct chainline I did put 1mm extra spacer on the drive side. Otherwise the Di2 setting for the FD would be at maximum setting (and even if that works I couldn't live with that :mrgreen: ) Finished the build with a pair of hookless Mavic wheels. This bike will be used in winter and since the wind game is often strong in the Netherlands low wheels are key.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-11-14 161714.jpg
Screenshot 2023-11-14 161636.jpg
Screenshot 2023-11-14 161617.jpg
Screenshot 2023-11-14 161555.jpg
Ride bikes, not tanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WilliamTrocado

by WilliamTrocado

Leon wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:21 pm
Leon wrote:

Conversion is ready. Made a home made BB sleeve out of a plastic bottle. Works perfect! I cut the original cable guide (as I don't run cables anymore). For the correct chainline I did put 1mm extra spacer on the drive side. Otherwise the Di2 setting for the FD would be at maximum setting (and even if that works I couldn't live with that :mrgreen: ) Finished the build with a pair of hookless Mavic wheels. This bike will be used in winter and since the wind game is often strong in the Netherlands low wheels are key.
My CAAD12 Disc I upgraded to Di2 2nd Generation (R8050). To pass di2 cables around BB there is a 3D printed piece that were made and thinked to fit perfectely.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/HMFFH ... arketplace