Let's see your Swiss Machines // BMC

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

rowdyyy

by rowdyyy

Mind sharing a photo from the front? Not to many photos around of those ENVE bars.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Turrifik

by Turrifik

I’ve since switched to a slightly shorter ics2 stem and played with the shifter positions to help me hold an aero position longer. Very happy so far.

NOTE: you need a customized top cap to run bmc’s ics2 stem on the TMR01. It’s easier to just get the ics01 stem (31.8mm)

Last edited by Turrifik on Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rowdyyy

by rowdyyy

Looking good, thanks!

Turrifik

by Turrifik

Looking for help from any BMC experts. While tightening the top cap screw the foam ‘plug’ inside the steerer unfortunately came loose :-(
Can this be fixed, bonded back in?

My BMC shop said they’ve seen this before and it needed a new fork. They’re waiting for word from BMC for possible repair vs replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MichaelK

by MichaelK

Of course it can be bonded back in with the correct epoxy... however you'll invalidate any warranty you have if you do it yourself. Sit tight and wait for BMC's response. I'm fairly confident they'll replace the fork.

Turrifik

by Turrifik

Fingers crossed. Bike is almost 2yo.

PinaRene

by PinaRene

If they don't accept this as a warranty case then you could drive the metal plug in a bit further, cut the foam for 4 or 5 mm. Then the foam sits 4 or 5 mm lower in the fork, then make a carbon plate of 4 mm thickness with a hole in the middle. Bond the carbon plate with some good resin / or epoxy glue and sand the whole thing flush and mount in back. I did make a little drawing how I should do it ( step 1 - to step 3 ).

I do also own a BMC, and it's also 2 yrs old - but checked mine and it's still okay.

Turrifik

by Turrifik

Double post
Last edited by Turrifik on Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Turrifik

by Turrifik

PinaRene wrote:If they don't accept this as a warranty case then you could drive the metal plug in a bit further, cut the foam for 4 or 5 mm. Then the foam sits 4 or 5 mm lower in the fork, then make a carbon plate of 4 mm thickness with a hole in the middle. Bond the carbon plate with some good resin / or epoxy glue and sand the whole thing flush and mount in back. I did make a little drawing how I should do it ( step 1 - to step 3 ).

I do also own a BMC, and it's also 2 yrs old - but checked mine and it's still okay.

Good stuff! Thanks for this. May have to try a repair like this depending on what BMC says. Haven’t heard back yet.

I also found these as a replacement option from Cykom.com

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Turrifik wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:30 pm
Looking for help from any BMC experts. While tightening the top cap screw the foam ‘plug’ inside the steerer unfortunately came loose :-(

My BMC shop said they’ve seen this before and it needed a new fork. They’re waiting for word from BMC for possible repair vs replacement.

I had this same thing occur on my fork. In fact, the original fork was already replaced due to the factory recall in 2021. Last summer, the replacement fork failed in this same way where the foam separated from the carbon when preloading the headset. I brought it to my bike store (who did the first replacement) and they opened a case with BMC. They warrantied the fork and replaced it with a new one (albeit a black one instead of the matching grey one). I only had to pay for the bike mechanic's labor. I also asked the mechanic to not cut down the fork and I graciously got an ICS spacer from PinaRene to add 10mm of stack to my fit.

Turrifik

by Turrifik

iamraymond wrote:
Turrifik wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:30 pm

I had this same thing occur on my fork. In fact, the original fork was already replaced due to the factory recall in 2021. Last summer, the replacement fork failed in this same way where the foam separated from the carbon when preloading the headset. I brought it to my bike store (who did the first replacement) and they opened a case with BMC. They warrantied the fork and replaced it with a new one (albeit a black one instead of the matching grey one). I only had to pay for the bike mechanic's labor. I also asked the mechanic to not cut down the fork and I graciously got an ICS spacer from PinaRene to add 10mm of stack to my fit.
Thanks for sharing this. I’m still waiting on BMC to respond re: warranty.
I might try re-bonding the foam insert on my original fork if a warranty replacement ends up being different black fork. Could be a fun project while riding the black fork.

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Here is my BMC SLR01 with the lighter climbing wheels. Weight ( race ready ) incl. pedals ( Time ) and bottle cages and Garmin mount is 6,7kg.

Last week I've changed my Look Keo2Max carbon with Titanium spindles to Time XPRO 15, just because I have the same pedals on all bikes.

Haggarty

by Haggarty

My RM01 with a few upgrades since the last post:
- Sram Red crankset sanded back to raw with Quarq PM & Carbon Ti Chainrings - 605grams
- BMC ICS Aero carbon cockpit 360/ 120mm - 310grams
- Ceramic speed OSPW
- Aero bottle cages from the new Giant Propel - added about 20grams vs the elite leggero’s but would like to think they are slightly more aerodynamic

Weighing in about 7.2kgs size 54cm with pedals and computer mount.

Really happy with this bike, it’s light enough, comfortable and the 36cm bars have got to be helping with the aero too.

Darimo seatpost is about the only other thing I would add but happy how it is for now!

Haggarty

by Haggarty

My RM01 with a few upgrades since the last post:
- Sram Red crankset sanded back to raw with Quarq PM & Carbon Ti Chainrings - 605grams
- BMC ICS Aero carbon cockpit 360/ 120mm - 310grams
- Ceramic speed OSPW
- Aero bottle cages from the new Giant Propel - added about 20grams vs the elite leggero’s but would like to think they are slightly more aerodynamic

Weighing in about 7.2kgs size 54cm with pedals and computer mount.

Really happy with this bike, it’s light enough, comfortable and the 36cm bars have got to be helping with the aero too.

Darimo seatpost is about the only other thing I would add but happy how it is for now!

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Haggarty wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:58 pm
Are you running the SRAM BB86 to DUB Bottom bracket? I recently switched to SRAM Red DUB cranks and found that they don't spin so freely because I need to tighten the preload a lot to prevent any noise from the BB. Did you have the same issue?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com