Le club Time

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

Belisarius

by Belisarius

First, thanks to the Club Time for all the advice, I should receive my Alpe d'Huez Rim in the next two weeks, to replace an older RIM unit and reuse the Tubular ENVE SES and 9100 fabulous mech groupset. Thanks to Calnago, RIP..

But oh man if Time stops making rim, I HOPE after riding the Alpe D'Huez I do not regret buying the Scylon as well. Plus my V3RS 9270, would be a magical Trio.

Now let's get serious. Dyneema in the new bikes. My first experience with Dyneema was Specialized S Works, and those shoes were returned because the plastic toe box area softened on hot days and warped. Got my $$ back. But the shoes felt like painted liquid steel- I rarely if ever felt the need to reach down and unclick or reclick the Boa. Maybe 1-2 click but most rides, ZERO adjustments vs 2-3 motions on all other types, S Works Torch, S-Phyre. When inquiring ref Dyneema, it emerged that the shoe makers ditched it not due to cost, but very short lifespan. Stressed Dyneema is done quickly and, shelf life wise, 5 years max IF unused! The warranty issues got them to ditch it. It even failed R&D as a F1 top up material.

So, considering that Time had its own minor R&D issues, (Scylon rail clamp??), I must ask, how is Time Dyneema DCF different than any DCF out there? Resin or not, that material starts disintegrating through wear, vibration, any stress etc. And, it means that, in any stress spots, unlike CF that can last many years, hundreds of thousands or millions of cycles, decades with their RTM, Dyneema WILL disintegrate, fray, wear out AND introduce the very thing Time is known never to have, GAPS.

For the 'time' being I am holding off buying their new DCF bikes. therefore, high mileage ADHD owners become an important source of information.

Thankfully, Time has a lifetime warranty. But this is the sort that can bankrupt a company if every single DCF bases bike turns out to not survive a shelf life...

Belisarius

by Belisarius

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:53 am
This sucks Image

Basso Diamante eps 12
Sigh... But the Diamante Geometry is unforgiving, way more aggressive than the Diamate SV and eons more aggressive than Time. Look 785?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Belisarius

by Belisarius

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:53 am
This sucks Image

Basso Diamante eps 12
Sigh... But the Diamante Geometry is unforgiving, way more aggressive than the Diamate SV and eons more aggressive than Time. Look 785?

Apv

by Apv

Belisarius wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:23 am
Apv wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:14 am
Finally joined club Time this past weekend.

It's a 2019 Scylon with the Aktiv fork.

Built up with Ultegra Di2 rim brakes, Easton EC70 carbon aero bars, and EA90 stem.
Wheels are custom built DT240s 54T ratchet with CX-Ray spokes.
Still need to change the saddle and bottle cages at some point.

Looks beautiful, how does it ride? I am soo tempted by the rim version to extend my aged worn out Italian rim. But debating school vs ADH01.. I know the difference and live in flat areas...
To be as honest as possible, it isn't without things I don't like.

Starting with pros:
- Great bike for sprinting (compared to my Merida Scultura 6000 (2016), and Trek Emonda SL6 (2022 rim brake), and Supersix evo 2020 gen 3 (rim brake). It just feels really good, not sure what makes it so nice. The geometry seems to work well for me.
- Like-for-like comparing frames with the same components, its faster than any other bike I have owned, though I have never owned any aero bikes before.
- I would say its fairly smooth and comfortable. I can't tell if that is the Aktiv or just the bike itself. If I had a choice I might not go for the Aktiv, but just had to try the "full Time experience".

Cons:
- Not sure if this is the set up of the brakes or just the frame/single dual pivot brakes alone, but compared to direct mount brakes it feels a bit spongier. Still within the realms of being completely functional, but the direct mount brakes on the Emonda and Supersix.
- I'm struggling to get used to the headset system that it uses. The quickset has many pros, such as your forks staying in place when you remove the stem, but it seems like it's hard to get the preload just right. It can easily become too stuff and makes turning the forks feel a bit grindy, while adjusting it the other way can make it too smooth. The bars turn really easily and has the potential of knocking on your top tube by accident.
- The Aktiv fork broke on me once. The brass tune mass dampener must have delaminated off the metal plate that is attached to the bottom of the fork, and it caused a rattle inside the fork. Fortunately insurance covered the cost of a new fork from Time. Haven't had any issues since installing the new fork in July. It's also qiute heavy! I chopped my old forks to inspect inside, and attached the photo below. I can't remember the weight of the mass dampener but I think it was around 300 grams for one.

Unknowns:
- Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to race on this bike yet, I have been racing on the Emonda with the same wheels and tyres as the Scylon. The cannondale supersix has been my favourite bike to race so far, but I wasn't going to risk crashing and destroying the headtube with their steerer lock issue.. So I sold it and race on the Emonda now instead.
Attachments
timemassdampener.jpeg

montee

by montee

Long-time Scylon (rim) rider & looking at adding an ADH disc...with nice leads on either a 01 or 21 frame. Other than saving a few hundred euros (& potential colour preferences) is there any potential reason to prefer the 21?

IztokZ

by IztokZ

Got myself a new bike, plenty of inspiration found in this tread so here it is.

2023 ALPE D'HUEZ DISC - size S, V21 - Gloss Carbon
SHIMANO Ultegra Di2 R8170 Complete Group 2x12 | Crank Length 170 mm 50-34T, cassette 11-34
CADEX 42 TUBELESS DISC with CONTINENTAL GP 5000 S TR size 25
Hambini Racing BB386EVO BB
DARIMO CARBON Seatpost T1 Loop | UD matte / black | 27,2 mm 350 mm
SLR KIT CARBONIO SUPERFLOW saddle
THM Frontale Integrated Bar / Stem - 400 mm
STELVIO CORRETTO garmin mount
Supacaz Super Sticky Kush Bar Tape
ASSIOMA DUO PM
XXX bottle cages via AliExpress

Weight with mount, pedals, bottle cages – 7,6 kg
I don’t have much experience with bikes in this class so its difficult for me to compare but it absolutely wants to run wild. Even when I want a zone 2 ride I find myself pushing since it just wants to go. Descending is a dream but again difficult to compare since I am coming from a lower price level rim brake bike.
Attachments
PXL_20230927_145253585.jpg
PXL_20230927_145321458.jpg
PXL_20230927_145329442.jpg
PXL_20230927_145442859.jpg

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Absolutely gorgeous. Congrats and great solid build too!

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

dvdrl

by dvdrl

Amazing bike, congratulations!

I will get one, too, and was hoping to end up with a little bit less weight, but I guess that's where the AdHs all end up.

Ypuh

by Ypuh

New Bike Day!

Finished building up my Time ADHX and took it out for a 110km and 80km ride this weekend. It builds and rides like a dream! Very stable and comfortable and an absolute stunner. At 8.7kg in a size XL it isn't exactly a lightweight, but it gives the bike a very solid handling nonetheless.

Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

m4k1

by m4k1

Now with time crank

velov

by velov

That's a stunner!

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

That old skoool times beautiful id love to see it with some low profile rims maybe some hyperons or a sturdy set of cobble bashing wheels as well

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

m4k1

by m4k1

I can do that

ico

by ico

I like the skinny fork. Classy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

m4k1 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:14 am
Now with time crank
Maximum tire width of 23 mm, per Time manual. Nowadays people complain about road bikes which only go up to 30 mm.

Plus, Lightweight (brand) front hubs required some finagling with spacers to fit in that classy, skinny fork.