Le club Time

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

HBE

by HBE

Hey Niko,
Its interesting that we both had 785 RS crashed and puchased time. I went with Time Scylon frame with regular fork. My thinking for Scylon was, modern aero bikes are very gimmicky and new Light race bikes are just like Scylon and scylon was designed before UCI updated their new frame rules so the frame is not too crazy Aero.
Luckly for me, the Look Frame was in fixable condition so I sent it for repair I got the look back from CBR 11 weeks later (i think). Now Look 785 RS with Ultegra mechanical is the winter/bad weather frame and Syclon is Dry weather bomber.

nikospeed

by nikospeed

What a coincidence...
I'll have my Look repaired as well (broken seat tube, straight cut where the seatpost ended, the bike did a looping and fell on the saddle). But afraid to hammer down Galibier again with a repaired frame - that gave me the excuse to buy the AdH😁.
My initial plan was to wait for the Scylon successor and possibly replace my Kuota Kryon but then I really like to ride it.
Means the Look will become the winter bike, Kuota for flat races and the AdH for...well..AdH! 🤩

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

steveadore

by steveadore

Could anyone measure the height (length) of the Time compression plug that is inside the steerer tube? According to the manual, no spacer should be installed above the stem (except for max. 500 km adjustment period), but the plug looks plenty long (longer than the stack height of the stem)

nikospeed

by nikospeed

The compression plug is about 70mm long. I currently have 35mm spacers above my 40mm stack stem and it is almost fully covered.

Apart from that, I want to revise my riding experience especially of the fork to avoid false impressions: initially I had pushed the stem down while tightening it. This was not a clever idea as it applies unnecessary force to the HS bearing, leading to the slightly sluggish turning behavior of the fork. When the stem is installed w/o any pressure the bearing runs freely and the steering becomes as expected (still not as nimble as the 785 but that is more related to difference in trail).
I am super happy with the bike and its very refined ride quality 😀👍.

steveadore

by steveadore

nikospeed wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:20 pm
The compression plug is about 70mm long. I currently have 35mm spacers above my 40mm stack stem and it is almost fully covered.

Apart from that, I want to revise my riding experience especially of the fork to avoid false impressions: initially I had pushed the stem down while tightening it. This was not a clever idea as it applies unnecessary force to the HS bearing, leading to the slightly sluggish turning behavior of the fork. When the stem is installed w/o any pressure the bearing runs freely and the steering becomes as expected (still not as nimble as the 785 but that is more related to difference in trail).
I am super happy with the bike and its very refined ride quality 😀👍.
Thanks, that's a very generous length, also allowing for a relatively big spacer stack under the stem.

Your comment about the stem is very useful. I would have assumed that you need to push down on the stem due to the independent headset preload system (i.e. to avoid any accidental gaps between stem/spacers and headset top cap).

OneBeerPlease

by OneBeerPlease

This is my ADH 21. I am in Love. I really have to say that this bike feels amazing. Frame stiffness is more than enough (owned a Simplon Nexio before) and I can definitely say that this frame is also comfortable. Have to get rid of 1 or 2 spacers - I am still experimenting.

By the way if anybody needs help with sizig: 179-180 cm tall and ~84 cm inseam and Medium fits perfectly.

It looks quite different in different lighting.
Attachments
IMG_20220808_184118__01.jpg
IMG_20220808_184447__01.jpg
IMG_20220831_104804__01__01__01.jpg

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Gorgeous look forward to when you have it dialled in

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Nice to see so many new Times. Gorgeous Scylon, AdH01 and now this AdH21. :thumbup:

Need to go ride mine AdH before the rainy autumn starts.

OneBeerPlease

by OneBeerPlease

Does anyone know how that aluminum piece on the steerer is actually hold in it's place? Just curious about the design. I like to be able to change the cockpit without worrying about the headset at all.

By the way the headset on my frame was WAY too tight from factory.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220901-083423__01__01.jpg

Goldsprint

by Goldsprint

I'm close to pull the trigger for a Alpe d'Huez 21 rim brake frame and have 2 questions:

1. I'm 1,85m and coming from a Focus Izalco Max Disc (the non aero) in 54cm. Regarding the reach it suits me perfect with 100mm stem. BUT the stack is too low for my taste and results in a bit twitchy behavior when descending. That's why I run a Specialized Aerofly riser bar and some spacers. So I'm considering size L for the Alpe d'Huze which has only a 2mm longer reach than the Izalco, but a lot higher stack. The Alpe d'Huez would be lot shorter by 7mm in reach and also the wheelbase. Do you think size L would be the right decision?

2. I'm considerating the rim brake frame because it should be a budget, less maitainance and timelesse build. And later I'm considerating to add the new ADHX to the stable. So for the rim brake frame: Do you have enough clearance for 28c tires?

Thanks for your tipps!

OneBeerPlease

by OneBeerPlease

Think you could ride both M and L, but at 1,85m (inseam maybe around 86cm?) I would recommend size Large, maybe with a little bit shorter stem if necessary.
Depending on the amount of spacers you currently have under your stem on your Izalco, you increased the stack but also shortened the effective reach of that bike. If you do not put spacers under your stem on the ADH21 (the stack is 37mm higher than on the focus), the bike will feel definitely longer than your current setup.
I am 179-180cm with 85cm inseam and ridea Medium ADH21 (90mm stem, got short arms...) which fits perfectly in my opinion.

Regarding the rim brakes: My ADH21 also has rim brakes - they are lighter, cheaper, more "aero" (if you are into that), they look much cleaner/timeless and brake perfectly fine in dry conditions. But I would have chosen disc brakes if I was riding in wet conditions.
The Micheliun Power Cup 25mm (wrong tires for my 21mm ID whees by the way...) I got on that bike are over 29mm wide (measured) and there is no problem with frame clearence. I would not want to exceed 30-31mm (measured) since there is alsways the chance that the tire picks up small stuff from the ground that could possibly hit the frame.

cheers

Hound7632

by Hound7632

Any rumors on 2023 Scylon? Paint? Rim brake option? Trying to decide whether to pick up at 2022 Scylon or wait a few more months....

Buzaow

by Buzaow

Hi, I'm also about to pull the trigger on an Alpe d'Huez 01, size S.
I'm 170cm and already own a Canyon Ultimate in size XS. It's a bit to small but does the job according to me fitter.

Do you think size S could fit me?

Llanberis

by Llanberis

OneBeerPlease wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:38 am
Does anyone know how that aluminum piece on the steerer is actually hold in it's place? Just curious about the design. I like to be able to change the cockpit without worrying about the headset at all.

By the way the headset on my frame was WAY too tight from factory.
Quickset has the threaded aluminium sleeve bonded to the fork steerer tube; you then drop / tighthen down the proprietary headset cover (also threaded) into that sleeve inside the head tube, essentially holding the fork in place and you can easily adjust the preload by turning it.

Some people hate it, I personally love it. It's convinient and neat, and it also eliminates the need for an expansion plug and the top cap here is simply a metal sleeve that slides into the steerer tube without a screw fixing. All these help further reduce stress in the stem clamping area.

Buzaow

by Buzaow

I lowered my stem and didn't put the spacers back above the stem. Is this ok or should I put the spacers back?
See picture below =
Attachments
DF2578CC-3D02-4AF7-A97C-2785BD33C72D.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com