Aero data from 19 wheels by Hambini

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hex

by Hex

Double post

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

mavic updated their website couple of weeks ago, the 2019 Comsic Pro has reduced weight. Cosmic Pro SL now increased to 45mm from 40mm.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

WorkonSunday wrote:mavic updated their website couple of weeks ago, the 2019 Comsic Pro has reduced weight. Cosmic Pro SL now increased to 45mm from 40mm.
Only for disc?
Using Tapatalk

altayloraus

by altayloraus

Firstly, thank you to Hambini for putting this up - much appreciated and has been great food for thought.
A couple I'd like to see (aware of the need for people to send them down...)
- Corima and Rolf Prima low spoke wheels - interested to see whether although they are not super deep, whether their profile and low spoke count are helpful
- Hed Tri Spoke - always been a favourite of a lot of my friends, even in cross-winds.

Ed72

by Ed72

ericoschmitt wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:58 pm
Ed72 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:16 pm
My results do not necessarily scale to the average 30-35 km/h rider because my new wheel is the 2 spoke and my testing is on an M5 recumbent with very low CdA; however, the leading edge of the tire and wheel is virtually identical to an upright bike; however, the sail effect of the 2-spoke would not likely scale (say 0.140-180 CdA vs 0-250-350 meteres squared for an upright) meaning the seat of the pants feel might be different.
Why have you chosen the 2-Spoke wheel, after reading about his test, while that wheel is NOT in the test? You can't be sure it beats Reynolds Aero 80. Any chance you can borrow a front Reynolds to compare, or lend your 2-spoke to Hambini?

And since you ride recumbent, and probably don't care about UCI, why not ride a recumbent with a disc 20 inch front wheel? Probably more aero. Or add a fairing around the front of your bike. If I had a recumbent, it certainly would have a fairing, and Schwalbe G-One 60mm tires because they are comfortable, roll well, durable enough... And with a fairing why bother about wheel aero.
I chose the 2-spoke because it should be more aerodynamic than a disc but much easier to handle in crosswinds on the front wheel. I considered the Zipp 858 because it is narrower and reports indicate it is very stable in cross winds but it is a bit pricey. Cross wind stability is important because descents that I hit 50 km/h on a road bike have me at something like 65 km/h without much effort. In some conditions, it is much faster than the FLO60 but in others, it not a lot faster depending on my speed and the wind. To be honest, I have not figured it out yet. Sometimes, the FLO60 gets absolutely smoked in my trials but in many instances, the differences are smaller but consistent.

20 inch wheeled recumbents have been proven to be slower than 700c and low Crr 406 tires are very rare and the supply is inconsistent although a new option just came online. I had one, it was slower. Fairings aren't allowed on the type of racing I do and my CdA is already quite low and a front fairing not only does not exist for my bike but it would make me slower with my 17-18 degree recline plus it only takes me around 250 watts for 29 mph over 10 miles for instance and I am not light. So, this wheel data was eye-popping. To get lower CdA, a velo would be the next step but have not given up on small incremental improvements. The lowest CdA recumbent was a custom design M5 and probably down around 0.120-0.125 used to set the hour record at something like 58 km. There are no race quality recumbents that a 60 mm G-One would fit. I run 25 mm Conti GP4000 TT on the rear and 23 mm Supersonic on the front with latex. The rear is a covered PT wheel.
Last edited by Ed72 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

addictR1

by addictR1

Hex wrote:
otoman wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:14 am
I can see it that way now that you say it especially if you're looking for a sub-50mm wheel.
Yep. Wanted to go deep section, but not deeper than 50mm. Im also drawn to them a bit because of the alloy/carbon build because I want to use Veloflex and latex inner tubes...

Shame about the lack of tubeless, though
Which alloy/carbon wheel set are you referring to? Would be interested to know. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hex

by Hex

addictR1 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:09 am
Hex wrote:
otoman wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:14 am
I can see it that way now that you say it especially if you're looking for a sub-50mm wheel.
Yep. Wanted to go deep section, but not deeper than 50mm. Im also drawn to them a bit because of the alloy/carbon build because I want to use Veloflex and latex inner tubes...

Shame about the lack of tubeless, though
Which alloy/carbon wheel set are you referring to? Would be interested to know. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mavic Cosmic Carbon Pro/ CCP Exalith

Both are same wheel but one comes with the all black exalith coating

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Hex wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:05 pm
To me, that chart says that the Mavic Cosmic Pro (45mm) is the best balance between not too deep, good aero and good cost.

Anyone see it that way?
Bontrager xxx 4s are 50g lighter, 2mm deeper, and only marginally more expensive?

Jengaback

by Jengaback

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Hex wrote:
To me, that chart says that the Mavic Cosmic Pro (45mm) is the best balance between not too deep, good aero and good cost.

Anyone see it that way?
Bontrager xxx 4s are 50g lighter, 2mm deeper, and only marginally more expensive?
I think you're looking at the cost of a single wheel. The Bontragers are more then twice the price

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Jengaback wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:41 pm
Hex wrote:

Anyone see it that way?
I think you're looking at the cost of a single wheel. The Bontragers are more then twice the price
I see US prices for the Bontrager XXX Aeolus wheels of USD $2400.

Hex

by Hex

Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:39 pm
Hex wrote:

Anyone see it that way?

Where is that wheelset being sold?

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:45 pm
Jengaback wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:41 pm
Hex wrote:

Anyone see it that way?
I see US prices for the Bontrager XXX Aeolus wheels of USD $2400.
In UK, Bonty wheelset sells for GBP 1999 while the new Mavics Pro Carbon SL UST discs are listed at 1899.

Roval CLX 50s are same price as Bonty and yet another 50g lighter.

siim

by siim

Cosmic Pro (Carbon) is not the same as Pro Carbon SL. 1000€ price difference.
Pro Carbon: https://shop.mavic.com/en-int/cosmic-pr ... #1028=3283
Pro Carbon SL UST: https://shop.mavic.com/en-int/cosmic-pr ... #1028=3283

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

siim wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:25 am
True - and I erroneously assumed we were talking about SL. But these cheaper ones are pretty heavy, so not exactly a no-compromises solution.

Hex

by Hex

Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:10 pm
siim wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:25 am
True - and I erroneously assumed we were talking about SL. But these cheaper ones are pretty heavy, so not exactly a no-compromises solution.
For a grand... they are pretty good.

One can lose 220g with some Veloflexes and some exotic inner tubes like tubolitos or whatever is going on today if weight was a deal breaker.

For a grand...you get the aero benefit of most of the wheels here.
For a grand... Once you are up to speed, you won't be missing much on that weight.
For a grand... you would feel it on the climbs, but you can save that grand, buy a case, fly somewhere for a couple of days and ride on another country. For a grand

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com