CAAD12 Wheeltop EDS TX Experiment

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

diecast

by diecast

raisinberry777 wrote:Apparently there's a firmware update from earlier week that connects it to cycling computers via ANT+ - people have reported setting up the gear position but I can't see any mentions of whether that includes battery details too.
Great, thanks for pointing that out. I'll have a look and report back.

diecast

by diecast

raisinberry777 wrote:Apparently there's a firmware update from earlier week that connects it to cycling computers via ANT+ - people have reported setting up the gear position but I can't see any mentions of whether that includes battery details too.
So curiosity got the better of me and I had a look at this before heading to work. Because you have to update each element individually it took a while but yes, it's now recognised by my Garmin.

I haven't used it in anger yet but gear selection, ratio and battery levels of front/rear mech came up.

Looks good!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Treptay

by Treptay

diecast wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:17 am
Treptay wrote:
Do the levers have reach adjust, and how much adjustement can you make? I have an ultegra r8000 groupset, and my adjustment is almost maxed out (inboards)
No, sorry, there's no reach adjustment that I can find on the levers and there's nothing mentioned in the instructions. It's perhaps unsurprising for the cost. It's been a long time since I rode anything with Ultegra so I can't make a useful comparison I'm afraid.

I actually swapped to a shorter stem briefly, but once I got used to the shifters I swapped back but a different angle. The hoods and the levers are quite wide and bulky and I think that's where the feeling of extra reach comes from.

For me at least, the ergonomics are the main downside of the group. It's difficult to make fair comparisons because it is inexpensive, and so I feel that tempers expectations. To make it cheap there's going to be compromises somewhere. IMHO it's ok for 1-2 hours but less so after that. Maybe I'm fussy and other people's experience may be different. Certainly I'm one of those types that's very sensitive to small changes in set up, saddle height etc.

My main complaints are the issues I've described above; the area behind the lever and the texture of the shifter buttons. These may be subjective, I'm sure others will have differing opinions.
Thanks for the report. I understand that they have some cost cutting measures, but damn... Even the cheapest shimano STI levers have that function (it is a simple small screw), and I looked at the manual myself and couldn't fined it. The area behind the lever is definitely a, well, deal breaking thing for some, but the first thing for me would be that reach adjust. I usually have problems reaching the levers from the drops, if they are not adjusted. Well, hopefully magene does things better with their electronic groupset when it releases.

Fleckinger

by Fleckinger

diecast wrote:

No, sorry, there's no reach adjustment that I can find on the levers and there's nothing mentioned in the instructions.
Did you try this bolt?
Attachments
photo_2024-06-15_10-52-03.jpg

diecast

by diecast

Fleckinger wrote:
diecast wrote:

No, sorry, there's no reach adjustment that I can find on the levers and there's nothing mentioned in the instructions.
Did you try this bolt?
No, unfortunately there's no such bolt on my levers. I don't know if you took that picture, but I assume that's the disc brake shifter. I can see the rod that activates the master cylinder.

I don't know what that bolt does, it may well be reach adjustment. Intriguing... Thanks for sharing that.

Here's a picture of mine, the only fastener you can see is part of the pivoting attachment of the gear shifting button.

Fleckinger

by Fleckinger

diecast wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:51 am

No, unfortunately there's no such bolt on my levers. I don't know if you took that picture, but I assume that's the disc brake shifter. I can see the rod that activates the master cylinder.
Yep, my bad, this is disc brake version.

kurtkowal

by kurtkowal

Hi diecast,

i've just installed the rim brake version and I'm having some issues with the FD. My rotor aldhu cranks are too close to the FD, even so that it touches with the crank if I move it too far outwards.
The thing is, the trim function is getting me too close to the chain, so it touches the chain when i'm in lower gears in the back.
Have you played with the micro adjustement of the FD? I want to try to get rid of the auto trim function to avoid the rubbing problem and i've only seen videos of people micro adjusting the RD.

Cheers

diecast

by diecast

kurtkowal wrote:Hi diecast,

i've just installed the rim brake version and I'm having some issues with the FD. My rotor aldhu cranks are too close to the FD, even so that it touches with the crank if I move it too far outwards.
The thing is, the trim function is getting me too close to the chain, so it touches the chain when i'm in lower gears in the back.
Have you played with the micro adjustement of the FD? I want to try to get rid of the auto trim function to avoid the rubbing problem and i've only seen videos of people micro adjusting the RD.

Cheers
kurtkowal wrote:Hi diecast,

Cheers
I've not checked the app recently but the FD micro adjustment was disabled in my app so I haven't used it.

I'm trying to remember how I set up the FD in case that might be of help to you. I couldn't make sense of the actual instructions.

I think I did something like this:

1. Make sure the FD limit screws are backed out.

2. Have the RD on the rear sprocket in the middle of the block that is the last one before the FD auto trim kicks in.

3. Then use the app to adjust the FD so that it was just far enough outboard - but no further - that it would lift the chain onto the large chainring with a single short press of the button. (If you keep the left shift button pressed it will do a full range upshift, rather than one limited by the trim position. I found that if the FD was too far inboard it wouldn't pick up the chain onto the big chainring without doing a long press. And if it was too far outboard I'd get the chain rubbing when on the larger sprockets.)

4. Then set the FD limit screws.

A couple of other things I found:

The height and angle of the FD set up are critical (just same as any FD), looking at the profiling inside the cage helped see where it was supposed to be in relation to the chain. I didn't find the positioning aid sticker much use. When I used that I was getting the chain jam in the FD cage in certain shift combinations.

Sometimes the derailleur (both front and rear) gets confused about where it is in its range of motion. (Or it was me confusing it.) And then I had to use the app to move it all the way back to the other end of its range and this would seem to reset it. Sometimes this meant tapping on the manual adjustment button 50 times.

Not sure if any of that is of use, but I hope you get it sorted soon. Good luck.

kurtkowal

by kurtkowal

diecast wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:11 pm

2. Have the RD on the rear sprocket in the middle of the block that is the last one before the FD auto trim kicks in.

3. Then use the app to adjust the FD so that it was just far enough outboard - but no further - that it would lift the chain onto the large chainring with a single short press of the button. (If you keep the left shift button pressed it will do a full range upshift, rather than one limited by the trim position. I found that if the FD was too far inboard it wouldn't pick up the chain onto the big chainring without doing a long press. And if it was too far outboard I'd get the chain rubbing when on the larger sprockets.)

Thanks! I will try this.

cheers

glepore

by glepore

Where did you source it (assuming you're in USA ...) and what cost?
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

diecast

by diecast

glepore wrote:Where did you source it (assuming you're in USA ...) and what cost?
I'm in the UK. I bought it on AliExpress for £450 including tax and shipping.

kurtkowal

by kurtkowal

diecast wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:11 pm

Worked like a charm.

Thanks!

now the shifting is 10/10 both RD and FD