SL8 as an old man's birthday present (to himself) 6,2kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

loup

by loup

SL8 as an old man's birthday present (to himself) ... Yea that's the story... I'm turning 40 this year and glade to maintain my fitness so far, doing 700h/year on the bike. Still doing races, mainly hill climb and marathons in the Alps. Now racing as Masters 3 but clearly noticing how you are losing more and more ground to the young elite riders in their twenties.
Long sad story short... to dry my tears, I decided to make myself a great birthday present 🎁 πŸ’ 😝

Vision for the bike build: max real world efficiency

Meaning not super lightweight but more optimising the sweet spot between aero and weight. E.g. 12xxg full Aero wheels rather than pure climbing.
Also looking at robust real world performance. It should work robust and don't fall apart and last 60 to 100tkm.

I'm coming from a SL6 Home made build, still running rim breaks. Skipped the Sl7 due to weight and due to first generation Road Bike disc breaks... So with SL8 with DA9250 the time is right to finally give Discs a Go πŸ˜‹

Build:

Size 56 @6,32kg ready to roll (incl. pedals).
#Fork not on final cut jet
#still with Sl7 110mm stem, 400mm aerofly handlebar and Rapide Garmin Mount -> final setup Roval Rapide Cockpit 110/400 + Magcad mount, maybe Expander to be cut (cockpits are still rare to get)

Meaning there are some grams (20 to 50g?)to be slayed in the future. So sub 6,3 is realistic🀘

Highlights to be noted:

Colour: custom paint job by Lumar Colours (+52g compared to naked RPT frameset) https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4xhGPqs ... NvMnhnNg==

Wheels: Farsport Hyper 50/58mm, 31/25mm rim width, Extralite SP hubs, CX-Super, with hidden nipples and tape (1292g) viewtopic.php?f=132&t=156164&p=1835537#p1835537

28mm Conti 5k TT tubeless coming 30,0mm at 3,3/3,6bar -> perfect match with the rim's. Running with 30ml Stan's sealant each

Galfer Wafe 6-bolt discs + Ti screws

DA Rear stock derailleur tuned with frames&gears direct hanger and Extralite Pulleys 12/16 (required some Dremel work)

SRAM Red crank with Sigeyi PM and DA chainrings 34/50 (548g)

CeramicSpeed coated Dub bearings

Gelu K4 saddle on cut stock Saddle post

DA chains ⛓️ on molten speedwax gen2πŸ‘ŒπŸ˜‹

+Morono_JP slim saddle bag, ride of Japan style @ 130g (TPU+CO2+Multi Tool)🎌

Build list:
Single parts not weighted myself. Weights taken from this Forum, r2bike or other sources. Completed bike was weighted, conforming the calculation:
SmartSelect_20240416_154425_Sheets.jpg

Fun fact: the build is with custom paint still ~2k€ cheaper than the top spec OEM S-WORKS (w/o any sponsoring). But has PM and lower weight 😱

I'd like to thank some people how directly or indirectly influenced the build and my long decision process behind:
# Luca and the Lumar Colours Team
# the weight weenies forum
# Slayer of Grams / Rides of Japan (YouTube)
# Rhinos workshop
# Emma from Farsports
# my wife for still beeing with me after 8months of spaming her with stupid Bike tech bullshit discussions 😜
Last edited by loup on Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:33 am, edited 19 times in total.

loup

by loup

First pics from my 'workshop'
20240416_112933.jpg
20240416_113003.jpg
20240416_113018.jpg
20240416_113042.jpg
20240416_113118.jpg
20240416_113150.jpg
Also did some first rides and a first hill climb race. It's just great πŸ˜ƒ
So fast and comfortable like a gravel on tarmac on steroids πŸ‘Œ

Better pics and updates to follow ✌️

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JMOS

by JMOS

loup wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:34 am

Also did some first rides and a first hill climb race. It's just great πŸ˜ƒ
So fast and comfortable like a gravel on tarmac on steroids πŸ‘Œ

Better pics and updates to follow ✌️
Sieht gut aus! Only thing I don't like is them decals on the farsport wheels.

Amazing weight!

loup

by loup

JMOS wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:59 am

Amazing weight!
Thanks, that comment was clear to come but I don't care. πŸ˜‰

What counts is the performance, Rest is optics. My Sl6 had 3k€ Enve 5.6 on Extralite hubs. Farsports shares the same geometry as current gen enve4.5. important to me was to get hidden nippels. Weight reduction comes from extralite hubs. As said, ride performance is really great. Super true, super stable also at high speeds decents (tested already 70kmh at 18km decent)
Last edited by loup on Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GaBa

by GaBa

Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:17 pm

Amazing weight!

What counts is the performance, Rest is optics. My Sl6 had 3k€ Enve 6.7 on Extralite hubs. Farsports shares the same geometry as current gen enve4.5. important to me was to get hidden nippels. Weight reduction comes from extralite hubs. As said, ride performance is really great. Super true, super stable also at high speeds decents (tested already 70kmh at 18km decent)
Amazing, I admire Lumar's paintjobs for some time. So now I have the option to get first hand info - how much do they charge for a paintjob (if it's not a secret)? I guess you bought RTP frame and got is painted? I am aware that price might vary depending on paints used, complexity etc., but at least so I get a ballpark. And how long does a process take, do they have a waiting list?

Do you happen to know if they also offer an option to get a frame prepped for paintjob, i.e. you send them old frame, they sand it down to raw carbon and then paint it?

Congrats on your ride, it looks amazing! :thumbup:

loup

by loup

Yea, highly recommend them. Prices vary and both approaches my be possible. Just contact them by mail or Insta. Luca was very quick and supportive!
I used the RPT frame approach. Cost 1400€ incl. Shipping.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Beautiful bike! How did you get it down to that weight, where others report closer to 7kg in a similar build?

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

JMOS

by JMOS

GaBa wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:19 pm
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:17 pm

Amazing weight!

What counts is the performance, Rest is optics. My Sl6 had 3k€ Enve 6.7 on Extralite hubs. Farsports shares the same geometry as current gen enve4.5. important to me was to get hidden nippels. Weight reduction comes from extralite hubs. As said, ride performance is really great. Super true, super stable also at high speeds decents (tested already 70kmh at 18km decent)
Amazing, I admire Lumar's paintjobs for some time. So now I have the option to get first hand info - how much do they charge for a paintjob (if it's not a secret)? I guess you bought RTP frame and got is painted? I am aware that price might vary depending on paints used, complexity etc., but at least so I get a ballpark. And how long does a process take, do they have a waiting list?

Do you happen to know if they also offer an option to get a frame prepped for paintjob, i.e. you send them old frame, they sand it down to raw carbon and then paint it?

Congrats on your ride, it looks amazing! :thumbup:
I got in touch with them once for a quote on a paint strip + clear coat. If I recall correctly that was somewhere in the ballpark of 1000 EUR. If you wantetd to get a non-rtp frame painted they would have to do a paint strip + filler + primer befor the actual painting process starts. Just guessing here, maybe an additional 800 EUR to what you pay for a paint job on an rtp frame?

JMOS

by JMOS

@Loup: Is there a specific reason why you chose Extralite over DT Swiss 180 (besides weight)?

Edit: typo

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

very pretty bike! love the entire build

MasterBean

by MasterBean

Are you in Australia?

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

loup

by loup

Thanks for the feedback!

I added the build list in the first post.
I'm located in Germany πŸ™ƒ

Extralite was chosen over DT180, because of
#already good experience from previous Bikes
#possibilty for 6-bolt discs (-90g vs DA stock)
# -70g for the hubs
Last edited by loup on Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Alex222

by Alex222

Love the paintjob. Great build

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

Now thats a nice birthday present.

Amazing paint job and probably even better in the sunlight. I'm assuming you still have warranty on the frame too if they are specialized approved. Were the cranks custom painted too?

Please realign the tires to the valve when you get a chance.

Also I'd love to see photos of the SL6 rim too.

loup

by loup

Thx, pics from outside will follow.

Yes, the painting doesn't influence warranty using Lumar Colours as painter.

The cranks uses decals, too. Like the black more than the silver bar on stock SRAM Red cranks. And I scratch the crank arms anyway always while pedaling. Probably due my low Q-factore. If this will happen, I just change the decals again...

Here is my old SL6, 6,3kg, size 54, SRAM Red eTap 11s, EE brakes, Enve5.6 on Extralite hubs, Specialized PM crank. Still love it, despite the bad PM. I'll use it now for flight travels and Zwift 🀘
20240416_210225.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com