2024 Factor Ostro (v2) - Pictures and Review

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

cfrankscid

by cfrankscid

Just built up my Ostro V2 frameset. Size 56. Figured I'd share some thoughts and comparisons to the S-Works SL7.

My SL7 was getting very long in the tooth (over 40k miles, lots of bumps and bruises) and I really wanted to replace it with a SL8. My team gets great Specialized pricing, but the SL8 was ruled out almost immediatley due to fit. Unfortunately, the lack of Roval stem / bar combos in my size made the SL8 a non-starter.

I run a 36cm bar and 130mm stem. I'm 5-10 and normal build. When I ride a bike with 40+cm bars it feels like moose antlers to me and I feel like I'm wasting a lot of watts.

The fact that Factor has this size in an integrated bar/stem readily available put them immediately at the top of the list. My use case is high speed group rides and P/1/2 races in south florida.

I moved all the parts over from my SL7 build which is a mix of SRAM Red / Force AXS (all I could get in 2021 during COVID) and Roval Rapide CLXs. My immediate reaction to the bike was "wow this thing looks like 2 generations beyond the SL7 in terms of aesthetics and integration."

Bike is 16lbs 12 oz as shown above. For my use case in flat south Florida, this bike feels absolutely optimized. Aero is much more important here than weight.

I quickly took the bike out for its maiden voyage in the rain/dark (welcome to the stable!) Below are my impressions and comparisons to the SL7. I think its helpful that all of the parts are the same, so I'm really getting an idea of what the frame differences are.

Pros:

1) Bike feels very stable at speed, like it is on rails. Its far less twitchy than the SL7. Feels good for road courses and less twisty crits, I think it may feel slightly less willing to change direction at speed than the SL7. Its definitely one of those bikes that gets up to speed and just wants to sail along.
2) Looks. Subjective, but wow. I think it looks absolutely killer.
3) Very quiet. No rattles, squeaks or creaks. I think Factor really sorted the bike out well.
4) Stiffness under power and comfort are comparable to the SL7. I'd assume it is less comfortable than a SL8, but for the aero trade off is worth it to me.
5) Fit. As mentioned above, getting a 36/130 integrated bar/stem is amazing. Also, the stack is slightly higher than my SL7 so I can run 0 spacers to match the fit which looks amazing.

Cons:

1) Not the lightest bike in the world.
2) The under stem light mount is smartly placed closer to the bars (see below) which is very slick and likely puts way less pressure on the mount. The downside to this is that you can see the shadows of your shifters in your peripheral vision in the dark. When I first saw it the weird shadows I thought I was having eye issues haha.

Shadow outline of the shifter in the dark!! haha

3) The headset cover (see below) is kind of sharp and protrudes a little more than the SL7s cover. This isn't noticable to me except when I'm doing one of those kind of 2/3rds sprints where you stand up and rock the bike back and forth to stretch and put down a little more power. I noticed my legs hitting the cover while sprinting because I was rocking the bike back and forth more than I would in an actual full gas sprint.

4) Bike gets more blown around in cross winds than the SL7 (makes sense given side profile). Feels similar to how my SL7 did when I ran Princeton Mach 7580s on it. Its not a deal breaker but its noticable coming from the SL7.

Next steps: I'm going to replace the shifters with the new SRAM Force AXS D2 shifters for their improved ergonomics. Also need to cut down the steerer.

Happy to answer any questions! Thx

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Follow-up thoughts after 2 more rides, one being a hard interval session with all out 40 sec efforts:

This bike feels FAST. Whether you are climbing the only hill in my area (its a bridge haha) or flying with a tailwind, it just wants to accelerate and then stay at speed. Some specific notes:

1) Pedaling through corners. The SL7's Bottom Bracket height is 268mm and the I measure 274mm on the Ostro. I tried really pushing the limits of pedaling through high speed corners and was very happy with my ability to keep pedaling while really leaning the bike. This has obvious benefits for crits.

2) Handlebars/ride compliance. So far really happy with the bars. I had previously stated that the compliance felt on par with the SL7, but I've found an exception. If you are in the bottom of the drops (i.e. hands close to the end) there is ALOT of vertical movement over bumps where the handebar moves up and down to provide compliance. Coming from Enve SES Aero bars its very noticable. I did not notice any flex when sprinting from the drops, but my hands are further up towards the curved section in that use case.

3) Handlebars note two. The tops are more usable than the ENVEs for my medium sized hands due to the top's smaller size. Not sure what the aero penatly there is, but its nice functionality. Note, the ENVEs are marked 40cm but they are actually 35cm center to center at the hoods (which is freakin awesome). If you don't have a bike with integrated bars I can't reccomend these ENVEs enough.

4) Bike just wants to go straight. Adding onto my prior comments, it seems that there is alot of "correction" built into the design wherby the bike really wants to straighten out from any turning. Maybe my SL7 had a used up old headset which is making me notice this more. Its not a bad thing, but does contribute to the feeling that its slightly less happy to rip corners than the SL7.

Bike just going straight lol.

5) water bottle cages are very nice. Factor is making some claims about aero benefits without a bottle on these - who knows how material that is - but they look super nice, grip the bottle nicely and its great to have them included in the frame package. Their circumfrence where the bottle goes in is noticably smaller than my arundels, so pehaps there is less protruding out beyond that downtube.

6) Misc. Front end feels STIFF in a good way. Puts down the power and you can find compliance in the drops. No issues with the top cap hitting my legs during real sprint efforts.
Last edited by cfrankscid on Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cfrankscid

by cfrankscid

Also, couple other parts details.

140 SRAM Rotors front and rear
Specialized S-Works Turbo (tubed) tires
Sworks Power Arc Saddle

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aham23

by aham23

Interesting thoughts. The Ostro Vam 1.0 is basically a SL7 clone and from a distance 2.0 looks like a SL8 clone. Or vice versa, and I am not saying this is a bad thing, but they are meant to do and be the same "kind" of bike.

I have an Ostro Vam 1.0 and love it. It is the best bike I have ridden as far as doing it all. I actually would like some more front end stiffness and "twitchy" because I love the feedback when racing. I have a 58 built with DA 11 speed Di2, Garmin Pedals, Cadex 42s, and it comes in sub 17# which is awesome for a bike it's size.

Love your and hope you enjoy many fast miles on it.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

aham23 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:24 pm
Interesting thoughts. The Ostro Vam 1.0 is basically a SL7 clone and from a distance 2.0 looks like a SL8 clone. Or vice versa, and I am not saying this is a bad thing, but they are meant to do and be the same "kind" of bike.
I don't see that at all. They look wildly different to me, the front end, tube shapes, etc. But yes, I assume performance is similar.

@cfrankscidf, that bike looks fantastic. And thanks for the review and the photos. IMO the best comparisons between frames can only be made with the same parts, and in particular the same wheels. Kudos.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Great review. Looks good.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

sigma

by sigma

Terrific and thoughtful review. Thank you. You and I are the same height / size on the Ostro. In many ways I wonder if it's a better comparison to the Venge as opposed to Tarmac in terms of riding attributes and weight. The comment about the wind is something to think about. Even in the flat midwest, the winds can be awful ( I was getting blown around (at 78kg) on my Domane RSL with a shallow pair of Zipp 303s the other day. I noticed that on the Vam 02, Factor kept the stack and reach pretty constant between generations but the standover height / angles changed a little. Suspect the same is true for the new Ostro but assume you have no problems with the standover height.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

liam7020

by liam7020

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:03 pm
I don't see that at all. They look wildly different to me, the front end, tube shapes, etc. But yes, I assume performance is similar.
Agree completely, looks nothing like the SL8. It does look very like the Seka Exceed - no surprise given both frames are purported to be made in the same factory. Nice bike by the way.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

liam7020

by liam7020

Oops - double post!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

I am sorry to detail this, but what's the handlebar tape? :D

Interesting read. Especially the perceived twitchiness, as the sl7 has a slightly longer wheelbase etc

kode54

by kode54

I’m interested in a comparison from Ostro v1 to v2. That would be interesting. But like the SL7 to SL8, I’m sure it is very slight differences maybe not enough to make the swap.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

cfrankscid

by cfrankscid

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I do think that a good comparison would be to the Venge and to the Ostro v1, but unfortunately haven't ridden either to comment.

This bike reminds me more of my prior Cervelo S3 than either of my prior Tarmacs (s works SL6 and SL7) or my prior SS evo. I sold the Cervelo years ago so can't really comment on nuanced similarities or differences.

I'll take the bike out again today and report back with any other thoughts.
Eterna7m wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:37 pm
I am sorry to detail this, but what's the handlebar tape? :D
No prob - Silca Nastro 2.5. I find that this is less slippery when sweaty than Lizard Skins. It also seems to last reasonably long.
sigma wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:00 pm
T...assume you have no problems with the standover height.
Correct. No issues at all.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

great looking bike. looks nicer than the specialized with the paint job. also agree in florida don't need a light bike but more of an aero bike.

cfrankscid

by cfrankscid

just added some follow-up thoughts to the original post. Wanted to get as much down while the SL7 was still fresh in my head.

kode54

by kode54

Thx for the additional comments and thoughts post build.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Interesting insights. Any follower of my YT channel will know that I turned down the Ostro V2 for an SL8. (Coming from Ostro V1)

But I think you did the right thing living in flat Florida - I would have gone Ostro V2 too, because I'm convinced it's more aero than the SL8 and that any weight difference is inconsequential.

I was tempted to buy an Ostro V2 and run it as an out and out aero bike (60mm wheels, etc.), but I can't seem to get a decent price for my V1, so will keep it and use that instead.

And yes, the lack of handlebar options for the SL8 is a joke and must be really holding back sales. I had to go with a 400x135 just so I could ride the thing. Sort it out!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com