The SL8 Pro I didn't want

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

I figured it was about time I put a bike thread up.

I loved my SL7, it weighed a good 7.9kg, rode it everywhere and I dare say that I didn't care what it weighed - especially as a heavier chap that could lose a few kgs (and is)

Until at the end of a month long trip on Mallorca back in October, I spent a few seconds too many looking at my power near the top of Puig Major (15km, 7% climb) only to look up to see a car passing too closely and veering off into a 3ft ditch - rear stay just caught the edge of the road when I landed and cracked :(
IMG_3116.jpg
Insurance were fantastic, within a few days they processed my claim and ordered me a new bike - an SL8. I had actually already decided against upgrading to the SL8, I just didn't love how it looked, but was happy that the insurance company let me choose the colour and groupset configuration instead of replacing it like for like.
IMG_3322.JPG
I was super impressed when weighing it as it came at just 7.3kg and then kinda disappointed when it jumped to 7.7kg by the time I'd put cages, mounts, pedals and my saddle on, which is what set me off on my weightweenie journey.
IMG_3342.JPEG
First up was wheels, I wanted some more comfortable wheels for big days out, possibly shallower and lighter to double up as climbing wheels for cycling holidays in the hills.
IMG_3651.JPG

Zipp 353NSW: -370g
Dura-ace Cassette: -84g

Replaced my heavy SMP Nymber with the unpadded, carbon rail version - the Vulkor: -105g

Total saving: 559g, leaving me at 7.2kg with pedals

Would have liked to have made it to <7kg, but it's looking like I'd need to spend a lot of money to save any more weight. I'd considered lighter crankset, but my 160mm crank lenth rules out all the light options.

For a little extra weight weening, I managed to slim down my saddle bag. I was shocked to find it was 550g previously (2x co2, 2xtubolito, tyre lever, multi-tool, spare links, contact lens, valve extenders all in a silca mattone)

Shaved that down to 190g with a daysaver, taking just one tube and co2, tyre lever, sram and shimano links and a dynaplug race.
IMG_3926.JPG
IMG_3927.JPG
That's -360g, bringing my total to -919g and 1060g saved over the SL7.

Combine that with 3.3kg lost from myself and counting - I'm hoping my trip back to Mallorca next month yields some PRs!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

Almost forgot about today's job. I'd been riding around with a chimney, based on wanting to try going a little lower once I'd had some time to adapt to the current position, then after reading you should ride with no more than a 5mm spacer on top, put it off.

So today, cut down the steerer to get my current position chimney free and allowing me to try 5-10mm lower without straying (too far) from the recommended spacer configuration.
IMG_3929.JPG
Much better
IMG_3930.JPG

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

Glad it worked out for you. The green of that frame is very nice and works well with the white logos and man is it a shame most brands haven't gotten on the smaller than 170mm train yet but I would guess they will come with time just like narrower handlebars. Hopefully SRAM D2 will go lower than 165mm.

If you ever get tired at looking at the non evenly flush SL8 headset bolt with branding and non matching colors you can cover it with vinyl stickers like I did on my AXS Aerover. Also helps partially mitigate sweat getting in the headset and causing galvanic corrosion between different metals.
handlebar.jpg

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Curious why you didn't get the zero offset post?

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

OtterSpace wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:29 pm
Hopefully SRAM D2 will go lower than 165mm.
Red is apparently coming in 160mm. I'd probably combine a set with a dfour if they do.
OnTheRivet wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:37 pm
Curious why you didn't get the zero offset post?
I really despise the sl7 cup mounts on the zero offset. I've debated a darimo but I'm too impatient to wait three months for one

bmrk

by bmrk

Glad it worked well for you! Out of curiosity, which insurance company are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

bmrk wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:26 am
Glad it worked well for you! Out of curiosity, which insurance company are you using?
Laka.

They are pricey, but cover is very comprehensive, they cover competition and their replacement policy is incredible - I was back on a bike within a week.

If you're in the UK, I can share a code that'll get us both £25 credit. Drop me a pm if you'd like it.

bmrk

by bmrk

Looks interesting indeed, but it’s only available in the UK it seems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Great color.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com