Argon 18 E117 TT Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

timmerrr

by timmerrr

Custom build number 4 for me!

I had the pleasure of a team mate loaning me his rim brake Shiv TT for 2 season and have really enjoyed the technical side of time trialing.
tt 1.jpg
After last season, I gave the bike back and found a used Ali Express special for super cheap. I got that bike rolling for a few bucks with spare parts I had laying around.
TT 2.jpg
TT 2.jpg (78.32 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
Fast forward to this winter, my team was granted status that allows us access to the professional National Championships. This, coupled with some financial good luck, had me searching for a UCI legal frame for the 2024 season. I found a shop down in Florida selling Argon 18 E117 frames for a better deal that most used frames I was finding online. This bike is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. No integrated or proprietary front end parts, disc brakes, and UCI legal. I am still playing around a lot with my front end fit, so being able to use what ever stem length, base bar, and extensions I want is nice.
E117 1.jpg
E117 2.jpg
E117 3.jpg
Currently planning to run this Ali Express cockpit set up, a CLX 64 front wheel, new Vittoria Corsa Pro Speeds, Sram Rival RD, AXS wireless blips hacked to work with no shifters in the system, TRP mechanical disc brakes with no name levers, 165mm Ali Express crank paired to a 56T direct mount aero chainring, Shimano 11-30 cassette and some form of a disc rear wheel.
Handle bars.jpg
Handle bars.jpg (101.31 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
Should be a solid upgrade, especially on the rolling resistance front, moving from 23mm tubulars on the old bike. I have mached up the bike for the pic above but will be tearing everything down and try and grab as many individual weights as possible through the process!
State Bicycle Co. Undefeated: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171358

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Nice. Fun project.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

timmerrr

by timmerrr

Not bad for a colorful and gloss TT frame!
Frame wt.jpg
Frame wt.jpg (78.65 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
Building this gave me some motivation to clean up the work bench a bit.
build pieces.jpg
build pieces.jpg (84.09 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
Still waiting on the crank and blips. Apparently SRAM decided to remodel their warehouse and miss placed the blips our team's shop ordered for me. Hoping to get this together and on the road by the end of the week!
IMG_5508.jpeg
Side note. Be careful of the branding on your AliExpress parts 😂😂😂
IMG_5479.jpeg

timmerrr

by timmerrr

And the (almost) finished product!
Argon 18 117.jpg
Unfortunantly the extensions aren't going to work for me. the arm piece isn't long enough. So i will be going back to the Sync extensions and Aerocoach cups I had on the Shiv. I also have a rear disc on the way, fingers crossed it comes out alright. I have heard some not so great stories about discs bought from D2C brands from the far east.

timmerrr

by timmerrr

And the finished product!

CarbonBeam Lenticular Rear Disc (28mm external 21mm internal)
58T AluGear Direct Mount Chainring
Generic forearm rest extensions (Sync were too tall, thanks UCI fun police)
E117 4.jpg
E117 4.jpg (78.38 KiB) Viewed 998 times
Chain ring.jpg
Chain ring.jpg (61.88 KiB) Viewed 998 times
Disc 3.jpg
Disc 3.jpg (59.75 KiB) Viewed 998 times
Disc 2.jpg
Disc 2.jpg (51.73 KiB) Viewed 998 times
Disc 1.jpg
Disc 1.jpg (70.38 KiB) Viewed 998 times
Ive got all the kit, now its time to back it up with some training! All in I spent about $3000

djel

by djel

I don't know much about TT bikes, but that looks like a solid build for 3k! How's the ride?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

timmerrr

by timmerrr

Finished everything up with new extensions and am back on the Dash Saddle after a fitting. UCI CAT2 for height with the reach maxed out, saddle exactly 5cm behind the BB. I am for sure not in as aggressive of a position as the Shiv I was borrowing, but I am within 2% of my road bike power, where before it was almost 10% off. Bike rides really smooth, probably mostly because of the 28mm veloflex corsa on the disc right now. Still no idea as to if it is actually fast. The weather here isn't warm enough fo summer kit. I did do a 30 minute effort and averaged 27mph in a road helmet and winter jacket at 320W. Hoping this translates to close to 30mph with all the kit on. I have a spesh TT5, long sleeve TT suit (no pockets, not just jersey sewn into bibs, proper speed suit), aero base layer, Rule 28 overshoes & gloves, a CLX64 front wheel and Vittoria Corsa Pro Speed tires for race season.
E117 5.jpg