vintage rimmy venge C V N D S H

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

spartacus

by spartacus

I was looking for a rim brake allez sprint frame to replace my current commuter bike's frame, but came across this thing while looking at the allez (which looked agricultural in comparison). Must have been someone's wall hanger because it's pretty much new. The paint job is insane. Appears to clear a 28 which is part of why I wanted the allez to begin with.

Anyhow the only issue right now is it was set up for di2 so I had to order all the mechanical cable stops and guides. I think I just bought one of the last sets of bottom bracket cable guides for the gen1 venge available in the world, and hopefully ordered the right stops for the downtube and rear mech. Now I need to decide on a crankset and whether or not I can/should use segmented cable housing for this (whether it works with the cable stops?). The gen1 venge is pretty compelling to me right now, no funny business with the headset and stem, seatpost has a real clamp, it actually seems pretty light too.
Attachments
IMG_1512.jpg
IMG_1511.jpg
IMG_1508.jpg
IMG_1507.jpg

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

What a beauty. I really love rim brakes over disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Vintage :lol: ...
Dare you to build it with Campagnolo 50th anniversary Groupset :P .

Louis :)

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I can probably help you out and answer some questions for you... This bike is a 2014... I want to say late June and I think it was supposed to be in conjunction with the TDF. He was racing for the Etixx-Quickestep team that year and Specialized released an entire Cavendish collection to go with the bike that included an Evade gen. 1 helmet with the same scheme. These bikes weren't super popular at the time because Cav had a horrible tDF in 2014, crashing out in the sprint in stage 1 after a collision with Simon Gerrans. In 2015, the released an alternate version that was mostly white with sibtle hits of grey and green and that one was even less popular. He left Etixx-Quickstep at the end of that season and wasn't on a Specialized team the following year, so Specialized concluded the deal with Cav and had moved on to Sagan by that point.

Here is a link to the frame in the Specialized bike archive.

here's a link to the white 2015 model... you can see the molded in cable openings.

There was a running change mid-way thoruhg the Gen. 1 Venge's lifespan that saw a change to the clearance in the rear triangle. Early 2012/2013 bikes would not fit wide tires or wheels and the Zipp 303FC which was pretty wide for the time had just come out... 2014 bikes "should" fit wider wheels, but I'm not 100%. The early version of the gen. 1 had screw in cable stops. 2015 bikes would fit wider wheels and tires and 28's should fit, but it might be snug. If I recall correctly, the issue might be with finding rim brakes that give enough clearance, not the actual frame. The 2015 frames had molded in cable opening and stops, not screw in.

You should be able to run linked/segmented cables... I ran them on 2015 Venge without issue, but it looks like you might have the screw in cable stops... so not entirely sure.

This is a pretty bad ass bike. I loved my Venge and have fond memories of riding it. It was fast and this is a bad ass bike for sure. If there's any spot that I can fault it, I'd say it was ride quality... It is definitely not as compliant as modern frames.

spartacus

by spartacus

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:00 pm
I can probably help you out and answer some questions for you... This bike is a 2014... I want to say late June and I think it was supposed to be in conjunction with the TDF. He was racing for the Etixx-Quickestep team that year and Specialized released an entire Cavendish collection to go with the bike that included an Evade gen. 1 helmet with the same scheme. These bikes weren't super popular at the time because Cav had a horrible tDF in 2014, crashing out in the sprint in stage 1 after a collision with Simon Gerrans. In 2015, the released an alternate version that was mostly white with sibtle hits of grey and green and that one was even less popular. He left Etixx-Quickstep at the end of that season and wasn't on a Specialized team the following year, so Specialized concluded the deal with Cav and had moved on to Sagan by that point.

here's a link to the white 2015 model... you can see the molded in cable openings.

There was a running change mid-way thoruhg the Gen. 1 Venge's lifespan that saw a change to the clearance in the rear triangle. Early 2012/2013 bikes would not fit wide tires or wheels and the Zipp 303FC which was pretty wide for the time had just come out... 2014 bikes "should" fit wider wheels, but I'm not 100%. The early version of the gen. 1 had screw in cable stops. 2015 bikes would fit wider wheels and tires and 28's should fit, but it might be snug. If I recall correctly, the issue might be with finding rim brakes that give enough clearance, not the actual frame. The 2015 frames had molded in cable opening and stops, not screw in.

You should be able to run linked/segmented cables... I ran them on 2015 Venge without issue, but it looks like you might have the screw in cable stops... so not entirely sure.

This is a pretty bad ass bike. I loved my Venge and have fond memories of riding it. It was fast and this is a bad ass bike for sure. If there's any spot that I can fault it, I'd say it was ride quality... It is definitely not as compliant as modern frames.
Thanks for the response, that's all very good and interesting information!

This one does indeed have screw in cable stops. I think for now I'm going to run the dura ace housings and cables I have here regardless. This one must have the improved tire clearance. I have 25mm wide wheels with 25c tires that measure 27mm, and there's plenty of room everywhere and a solid 3 maybe 4mm between the tire and chain stays. I actually test fit other wheels that have a 30c gp5000 TR that measures 29.7mm and it clears everywhere, but is maybe 1.5mm of clearance on the stays so not really useable.

I'm excited to ride it and see how it compares to the caad 5 it's replacing, and my tarmac sl7.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

spartacus wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:19 pm
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:00 pm

Thanks for the response, that's all very good and interesting information!

This one does indeed have screw in cable stops. I think for now I'm going to run the dura ace housings and cables I have here regardless. This one must have the improved tire clearance. I have 25mm wide wheels with 25c tires that measure 27mm, and there's plenty of room everywhere and a solid 3 maybe 4mm between the tire and chain stays. I actually test fit other wheels that have a 30c gp5000 TR that measures 29.7mm and it clears everywhere, but is maybe 1.5mm of clearance on the stays so not really useable.

I'm excited to ride it and see how it compares to the caad 5 it's replacing, and my tarmac sl7.
Hmmm.. so maybe there were two running changes, first the rear triangle for more room and a second for the molded in cable stops. I know at one point, if you looked at the Zipp 303 FC wheels on the website, it specifically listed the earliest Venge years as not compatible.

It is a great bike. Very fast and for an aero bike, it was fairly light as well. If I recall, mine was about 15 pounds with 60mm wheels on it, maybe a little bit more. When I sold my Venge, I moved to an S-Works SL5 Tarmac... which was definitely not quite as fast, but was a lot nicer to ride. Now I'm on an S-Works Tarmac SL6 disc which was another step more compliant and seems to be just as fast as the Venge was. I'd probably put the Venge closest to my Allez Sprint... in terms of speed and ride feel. I think you'll find it offers something different than your SL7, but that's a pretty awesome bike, so I can't imagine you'd find the Venge better than it.

micky

by micky

LouisN wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:17 pm
Vintage :lol: ...
Dare you to build it with Campagnolo 50th anniversary Groupset :P .

Louis :)

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Any updates on the build? Perfect timing for this years tdf. Cavendish hopefully to break mercks record

spartacus

by spartacus

mike wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:04 pm
Any updates on the build? Perfect timing for this years tdf. Cavendish hopefully to break mercks record
It's been built and I've been riding it, but I'm still waiting for a few finishing pieces (stem, top cap, spacers to replace temporary set) then I'll post it!

I ended up building it with one of the pros closet di2 firesale 12 speed groupsets which is good, because even though I thought I bought one of the last sets of mechanical BB guides for this frame; they showed up from europe after my 35 euro shipping and month wait and THEY SENT THE WRONG PART. So, I think mechanical is off the table and thank god I didn't try to wait for this one part to build it with my 11 speed mecanical group because I think I would be screwed.

Also my brand new rotor power meter didn't work out of the box, and since it's built into the crank spindle, I have to send the whole thing to them. So I ordered temporary cranks (used aldhu cranks) and the *f##k* mounting bolt is stripped. So I ordered one from rotor but realized I need a special tool that rotor and nobody else sells for the self extracing lock ring, so today I machined a custom pin spanner on the mill for this purpose and should be able to install the aldhus this weekend and send back the dead inpower to rotor. (if anyone needs this tool let me know?)

I also needed new headset bearings for no apparent reason. The whole frameset seems barely if at all used but the bearings felt like crap, luckily these were easy to get.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Can't wait to see the build! Big fan of cavendish

Primera23

by Primera23

Not wanting to hi-jack the thread but I had also a stripped bolt on my crank (FSA/XX1). Parts are easy enough to get but tools is indeed another thing. I got a tool via aliexpress which actually works superb. Rotor crank is not listed to be compatible but looking at the crank I guess it should work.

Here is the link to the tool for anyone dealing with same issues: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005 ... 1802cMm332

Hope it helps!

PS: looking forward to see completed build

spartacus

by spartacus

Primera23 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:11 am
Not wanting to hi-jack the thread but I had also a stripped bolt on my crank (FSA/XX1). Parts are easy enough to get but tools is indeed another thing. I got a tool via aliexpress which actually works superb. Rotor crank is not listed to be compatible but looking at the crank I guess it should work.

Here is the link to the tool for anyone dealing with same issues: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005 ... 1802cMm332

Hope it helps!

PS: looking forward to see completed build
Yeah that kind of pin spanner can definitely work as long as it's not too tight, I wasn't able to loosen mine with a smilar one though. Pin spanners like that one are made to go into a full hole, the rotor lockrings have a half circle so without a very rigid tool the pins tend to slip out. Mine is four 3mmx1/2" pins set 1/4" into a piece of aluminum.
Attachments
IMG_1893.jpg
IMG_1893.jpg (87.02 KiB) Viewed 2972 times

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Vintage... As others have said. big lols

Primera23

by Primera23

spartacus wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:57 pm

Yeah that kind of pin spanner can definitely work as long as it's not too tight, I wasn't able to loosen mine with a smilar one though. Pin spanners like that one are made to go into a full hole, the rotor lockrings have a half circle so without a very rigid tool the pins tend to slip out. Mine is four 3mmx1/2" pins set 1/4" into a piece of aluminum.
Nice tool you made, glad you could get the bolt out. I wonder how a standard bike shop would tackle such an issue if there are no tools readily available. Maybe someone could design a 3D piece?

spartacus

by spartacus

Primera23 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:17 am
spartacus wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:57 pm

Nice tool you made, glad you could get the bolt out. I wonder how a standard bike shop would tackle such an issue if there are no tools readily available. Maybe someone could design a 3D piece?
Yeah you could definitely 3D print a tool and I considered it, but obviously it would be limited in how much torque can be applied, I just took the nuclear option since I had pins and aluminum on hand anyways. I have some 3D printed shimano crank bolt tools that work well. I'm guessing a lot of people would just use the adjustable pin spanner like you have but find a way to brace the arms, if you were careful and the lockring wasn't too tight or the threads corroded it should work. Another thing is the lockring is left hand threaded so I could see someone having a lot of trouble if they didn't realize that right away lol.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com