Specialized Tarmac SL6 S-Works Ultralight Rim 49cm

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

Current Weight: 5.97kg (13.16lbs) with pedals. Fit is not dialed and therefore is fairly relaxed until I get more riding in.
Latest Photo:
April 2024 Chainset Done.jpg
My craigslist alerts came in big time this week and lead to an unplanned purchase.
Posting.png
I offered asking to lock in the deal because from my quick math the parts alone are worth asking if I decide to part out the bike.

This is a totally unplanned purchase so I am currently unshure of what my plans are for the bike aside from adjusting fit parts and riding it for awhile to see my thoughts on super record and direct mount.

I can share a lot of parts from my 4.5kg focus izalco max if needed to test things out.

Some images after quickly cleaning and roughly adjusting fit with the parts that came on it are below. I'll update with the lastest images as I change the bike. Purchase weight is 6.4kg (14.1lbs) without pedals. There are a lot of easy savings given the bike has wide metal handlebars, heavy bar tape compared to what I use on other bikes, butile tubes, heavy skewers, heavy stem, and a heavy seat.

From what the owners said they bought it off of pros closet and swapped off ultegra from the bike so I don't know if this is techincally an ultralight or not as I didn't follow that nuance when the SL6 was new. Edit: there is di2 routing tape residue on the back side of the seat tube so this likely had di2 on it like the stock superlight build has.

62.jpg
63.jpg
64.jpg
65.jpg
66.jpg
67.jpg
The bike was in good condition physically but had spider webs on it and cracked tires so it likely wasn't used much recently.

Overall I'm looking forward to my journey with this bike whatever it might become.
Last edited by OtterSpace on Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:28 am, edited 21 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ferry

by Ferry

Great find, looking forward to the changes.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Id definitely look at getting the handlebar junction to clean up the front end as well,

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

I'm almost done reading up on the SL6 and only have to finish researching the disc version.

My god the ultralight drama is something else... I'll post about it in a follow up when I'm as certain as I can be that I'm fully researched on the topic.

I'm currently waiting on a campag cassette lockring tool so that I can ultrasonic clean the cassette so no full bike photos today while the now deep cleaned and waxed chain is off the bike.

The bike is currently 6.16kg (13.58lbs) without pedals after some easy changes from my spare parts bin (skewers, tubes, bottle cage, & seat). I could save 320g+ from just chainging the front wheel to one of my tubular spare wheels so I should be able to knock a kilo off if I decide to push the build that direction.

Thankfully all small parts are still available for the SL6. In the USA they can all be purchased from performancebike. I picked up a set of mechanical shifting parts, seatpost parts, derailleur hangers, and am now storing all the electronic shifting small parts for later mostly to save weight.

------
For today I'll post a very simple small part change I haven't seen anyone else do on the SL6 that costs almost nothing compared to heavier high cost/g aftermarket parts for the SL6 and stock parts. This change can be applied to disc or rim SL6 or really any bike with useless frame cover small parts.

I simply traced all the frame mount small parts on 3M 2080 vinyl wrap and cut out around 5mm extra for any inset parts (shifting blank & bottom bracket plug). I had gloss black on hand but 3M 2080 can be purchased in many colors and finishes for a better match to other frames.
applied (2).jpg
Downtube Shifting: 5.24g stock 0.27g vinyl = 4.97g saved
shift.jpg
BB Shifting: 1.69g stock 0.14g vinyl = 1.55g saved. I also added a hole to mimic the stock part which likely had it for water drainage.
BB.jpg
Chainstay Protector: 0.37g stock 0.60 vinyl = 0.23g added
chain.jpg
total savings of 6.29g for basically free.

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

The big wave of upgrades to my ebike are complete so my attention has now shifted to this bike but I am still in a planning stage.

From my calculations if I had the same level of parts on this bike that I have on my Focus Izalco Max this bike would weigh around 4.75kg.

I only have a few rides on this bike, so plans might change, but currently my viewpoint is that I would rather have more budget for this project from selling the Campag EPS 12s rim components. However, I don't plan to sell any of the parts until prices are natually a bit higher in the better riding months in the northern hemisphere. Therefore, the EPS will remain on the bike for awhile and I have not stripped the bike to weight the bare frame.

I built out a spreadsheet for this bike to help plan and from it assume that the weight of the bare frame is 826.64g +/- around 25g so inspite of the ultalight name this frame isn't all that special compared to a RCA, Izalco Max, Extralite SCR-058, or SuperSix Evo HiMod Gen2 and is more in line with an Emonda SLR with its constrained component choices. This weight aligns with what I came to expect after reading the SL6 thread so it isn't too surprising. Additionally the non round seatpost, seatpost clamp, and rear brake mounting parts add another 100g or so compared to a standard round seatpost bike even if a darimo aftermarket seatpost is used on the SL6.

All of this is influencing me to embrace what I think the SL6 actually is and that is a great all round blance of aero and weight for climbing. Towards this end I am currently learning to going Shimano R9100* which can be purchased at very low prices used right now. For the wheels I have two sets of tubular berd wheels for my Izalco Max that I can swap between. However, I am leaning towards going 40-60mm clinchers for the main wheelset for this bike. Given I am open to compromising weight for aero on this build I likely will go integrated cockpit instead of lighter weight round section.

Current goal weight including pedals: 5.5kg with aero wheels / 5.1kg with climbing tubulars with a total cost, including initial bike purchase of $3.5k

*Eventually I will put whatever groupset on the bike I think is the best rim groupset as an end of an era build but I don't want to buy R9250 now due to high cost and in the unlikely case Shimano builds another rim groupset in the next 4 years. Red22, which I have on my lighter Izalco Max, is lighter weight but doesn't shift as well as R9100 but can be upgraded to 12 speed with aftermarket parts and if I like Campag then Super Record mechanical is always an option.

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

I've been purchasing parts for this build like a mad man in the month since my last posting.

Most of the parts are trickling in but I don't think I'll have everything until the end of Feb or so mostly due to manufacturing time and me choosing the cheapest shipping option from Europe & Asia.

The wheelset in particular uses hubs ordered from Germany that were not stocked and had to be manufactured in Italy with rims manufactured in China and then shipped by boat. Once I get the wheel components in California I then have to get them to Minnesota to be built up and then pick them up in Minnesota a few weeks later to bring back to California all to save shipping costs.

Unfortunately all the Campag stuff will go to make room for a basic ass Shimano build :oops:

I really enjoyed my time with Campag and will likely work on slowly procuring a set of Super Record 12 speed mechanical to go with a Colnago which I've always been secretly lusting after to add to the stable. Given this I'll likely hold onto the crankset but flip the EPS stuff after rebuilding.

As of the last posting I had fully planned to go with 11s Shimano R9100 mechanical. However, I saw a post by iamraymond which completely derailed my plans so 12s Di2 R9250 it is then given I could find it for a cheap price. When it comes out R9300 likely will work with these shifters, wiring, and battery. Pros Closet had insane close outs last year to get me a full set of 12s Di2 shifting components. The 105 front (I paid under $50 for it new) will be updated to ultegra when I can find one at a good price for better front shifting. Edit: Ultegra fd purchased and will sell 105 fd.
di2.jpg
The crankset is an Easton EC90SL and Dura-Ace rings with a stone spider which I can eventually upgrade to a power spider. Eilee Carbon is interesting and uses the same spider but they are fairly expensive for what they are and they seem to have some scale up and minor QC problems that likely will improve with time.
Crank.jpg
The wheelset is AR55 rims + Extralite hubs, Dura-Ace 11-34 cassette, waxed YBN and Dura-Ace chain rotation, darimo seatpost, and once fit is set likely a EXS Aerover handlebar.
wheels.PNG
I am also considering playing around with a Tri-Rig Omega Aero front brake given where this build is going but I haven't seen much real feedback on them.
omega.png
Last edited by OtterSpace on Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

Also as a high level update I've had a spreadsheet going for awhile now tracking this build and its plans.

Current expected cost for the build will hit over $4k if I keep the crankset.

As filled out its saying total net anticipated cost after selling is $3,688 with a weight of 5.76kg including pedals. However the spreadsheet doesn't factor in the cost of the Easton cranks and pedals which I'm carrying over from other builds.

The final price will likely rise but hopefully the weight will fall. :beerchug:

When rebuilding I plan to totally strip down to bare frame to get a weight on each part.

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

The rims and some other parts came in so I've edited some earlier posts, and the spreadsheet, to better reflect the current state of play while retaining the general theme and thoughts from before. This isn't my first weightweenie build, and likely not the last, so I want to give a good window into the process in the hopes someone can benifit.

After a few builds I know only around 50% of what I say in a given post will happen but thats part of the fun.

Unfortunately the wheel build will take awhile longer as I missed a convenient way to transfer them over to Minnesota for free by less than 24 hours and the next scheduled opportunity is around a month away.

My favorite brake housings should be here this week and I could have ordered them earlier but they are not really holding anything up. An Ultegra FD is also shipping but likewise not holding anything up.

I have other wheelsets I can use or I could buy a freehub to convert the specialized wheels to work with Shimano to migrate the groupset that is ready to go.

So basically my main decision is when to remove the Campag stuff and to what degree. I'm ready to swap but trying to get as much time as I can on Campag, which I'm waiting for better global weather months to sell, at the same time which are conflicting goals.

Some pics showing the rims to tide us over. I'm looking forward to trying the brake tracks on the AR55 flyweight that visually are almost identical to ZIPP showstopper which most claim to be the best rim carbon braking surface. I can't wait to ditch these crap specialzed wheels which brake way worse than my carbon rim tubulars and have poor color blending finish compared to the frame.
1.jpg
rims.PNG
Other items:
Darmio SL6 seatpost keeps being delayed but it also isn't holding anything up. I get the feeling that Darmio isnt what is was and is kind of going to shit but that might just be me.
Stem and handlebars will be the last item to swap so I havent begun orders until everything else is done and fit is dialed in.

I've got a bit of an itch to get a Mavic CLX60 clincher front wheel (~ +266g) with the CX01 blade (~ +20g) for the best front end aero for a climbing bike given that im fine on 22mm front tires on another bike.
Along this line I'm considering a Tri rig front fairing and or the Tri rig brake posted earlier.
These items would likely be secondary, swappable, and exploratory.
maybe.PNG

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

Thankfully I'm likely around a month out from rebuilding the bike now.

All parts needed to rebuild the bike are on hand except the Berd wheels now. I have other cheap wheelsets I can use but dont want to swap my nice tubular wheels from my Izalco max which is 11s. First world problems.

As stated before I'm going relatively cheap for this supplemental bike build. Because of this I am dropping off and pickup up the wheels at Berd to save on shipping costs. Thankfully the wheels were dropped off today and will be picked up in a bit over a month.

Also the Darimo seatpost I ordered in late November arrived today as well. The seatpost will do the job but I'm a bit out of love for Darimo now mostly given their slow turn times and poorly communicated delays I've experienced but more importantly from the issues others have reported recently with SL8 seatposts and the Nexum Drag.
sl6.jpg
In the next month I'll tear down to just the frameset and check the BB facing and alignment as I'm going from external bearings to internal narrow bearings which are more susceptible to misalignment and therefore wear issues, creaking, and lost watts.

The plan remains for the handlebars to be purchased later after fit is set and I havent engaged with the aero items posted above but am still interested in engaging with that side after settling into the bike after rebuilding. Stem wise I already have Kalloy Uno stems in all the lengths I might need to decide on fit.

Handlebar wise I love the 36mm AXS Aerover I have on my ebike but am also interested in the agressive flare and narrow 2 piece bars that are coming out, or have been out for awhile, so there are some decisions to be made in the future between aero and smooth handlebar to stem to top cap shape. :beerchug:

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

Berd shipped the wheels even though I only paid for local pickup. I'll take it :beerchug:
Capture.PNG
With the wheels in hand I now have all the parts needed to build the bike.
OtterSpace wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:53 pm
I built out a spreadsheet for this bike to help plan and from it assume that the weight of the bare frame is 826.64g +/- around 25g so inspite of the ultalight name this frame isn't all that special compared to a RCA, Izalco Max, Extralite SCR-058, or SuperSix Evo HiMod Gen2 and is more in line with an Emonda SLR with its constrained component choices. This weight aligns with what I came to expect after reading the SL6 thread so it isn't too surprising. Additionally the non round seatpost, seatpost clamp, and rear brake mounting parts add another 100g or so compared to a standard round seatpost bike even if a darimo aftermarket seatpost is used on the SL6.
Quoting myself here. I now have actual bare weights without any removable hardware, stickers, or frame plugs.

Frame: 836g (well over the later removed, but not retracted, Specialized marketing claim of 733g for a 56cm)
Fork: 311g

Weight fell in my expected range and is well over the 666g/282g of my Izalco Max with its round tubes, full carbon BB receptacle, and carbon FD mount. This bike still could be built up light. However, I think an ultralight build misses a better way to optimise this platform now that the dust has settled on the SL6 rim with the passage of time. I remain convinced that the optimal approach for the SL6 rim is to build a UCI illegal compromise bike of weight to aero & efficiency (rolling resistance, bearings, & drivetrain losses). I will continue to drive it towards that target as planned above.

However with that said I completely understand why purchasers in mid 2017 were so mad at the weight discrepancy (bait & switch) and I would be too if I paid 4.75k for a frame or 10k for a full build for a bike specifically named ultralight and initially claimed to have a 733g frame.
frame weights.PNG
The BB has bonded metal inserts / mini cups and is faced so should be good, but not perfect due to the narrow width, for bearing alignment and efficiency at the expense of higher weight and the possibility of galvanic issues, thankfully I live in one of the world's most mild climates so I'm not very worried about corrosion. Interestingly, there is a ton of inner epoxy overspill at the downtube to BB junction and the frame has no metal chainstay cover. A local bike shop I trust also gave the BB a once over and said it was good.
BB.PNG
More to come soon now that I have everything on hand for a rebuild.

Pour one out for Campagnolo I will remember you fondly but am glad to be moving on :oops:

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

The build charged ahead last Saturday and then ran into three areas of issues that I have been pondering this week. Photos first:
1.jpg
Issue 1: The tires are currently not set up tubeless. I last took the plunge on 25mm vittoria corsa speeds pre covid and hated the experience so I reverted back to latex and decided to wait out better iterations. Tubeless seems far better now so I decided to give it another go. Unfortunately I didnt see through the research and purchasing of new tech valves or sealant. Tape is sorted so that I could test out tube swapping but otherwise my tubeless setup is stalled to research.

Issue 2: Holy crank spacers. If I thought this out before I would have known but my god the spacers needed to fit a wide spindle into a BB30/OSBB frame is nuts and looks like trash.
2.jpg
I defaulted to easton cranks because I had them as spares from my Brompton build and never bothered selling them. I plan to cover them with vinyl wrap to cover the logos but to me they also look too chucky for this build like it did on the Brompton. Becasue of this I am considering defaulting back to red cranks that I've used many times before but they would have the same spacing issue.

To fix the main issue I likely will go with a bbinfinite bb30 1 part with external cups mostly for better looks but also I can partially justify it for likely better bearing wear, life, and friction. Unfortunately they use smaller bearings but there isnt a good engineering solution for bb30 to external. Also the NDS bearing presses in too easily which doesn't give me much hope for native BB30/OSBB working well.

I'll likely use the BB and crank setup that I have while planning to replace it soon.

Issue 3: Given that I plan to play with the cockpit setup to an extreme degree through trying out super narrow handlebars for this build I dont want to setup ilink cables that I'll just have to faff with or worst case buy and totally redo again.

All of these issues could just be charged through or lived with but I have other bikes in my stable so will go about this correctly.

On another note I finished a mini Dura-Ace R9100 group in case I ever get an itch for this bike or others. I already have Red22 and likely will slowly seak out Super Record 12s mechanical to complete my collection of final high end mechanical rim grouptsets from each of the vendors now that pricing is fairly depreciated if you wait around long enough for a good deal.
3.jpg

Maddie

by Maddie

That's a fantastic build and thanks for sharing. I have a SL6 rim on my own and really appreciate the detailed write-up. Always nice to compare how others are building up their bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

Late night; more info to come tomorrow.

Bike is built up to riding condition with an initial rebuilt weight of 5.97kg (13.16lbs) with pedals.
sl6.jpg
The crankset is the only item that I plan to change soon. However, the cockpit will be my big focus after the crankset is sorted.