2021 Ridley Helium SLX Disc - First Attempt at Weight Weenie

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RidleyMeThis

by RidleyMeThis

Hey all! First post and first bike build/weight weenie attempt. I think it turned out way better than I even planned as it came in under the weight I thought it would be. I will attach a build sheet once I clean it up a little bit. But for now I will attach photos of the final build and first ride.

2021 Ridley Helium SLX Disc
6.4kg/14.12 lbs
Attachments
RidleyHeliumSLX1.JPG
RidleyHeliumSLX2.JPG
RidleyHeliumSLX2.JPG (156.32 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
RidleyHeliumSLX3.JPG
RidleyHeliumSLX3.JPG (158.64 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
RidleyHeliumSLX4.JPG
RidleyHeliumSLX4.JPG (208.94 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
RidleyHeliumSLX5.JPG
RidleyHeliumSLX6.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

Nice build, and that is a great weight. It does look like that frame might be a bit small for you, or you simply need a frame that has a much higher stack than the Helium (you are running at least 40mm of spacers, which is often the limit for forks with carbon steerer tubes, with an upturned stem).

LouisN

by LouisN

That's light with these standard parts !!
The bike would look superb with cut steerer, a -12 degree stem and minimum spacers :).
Aesthetics call for a medium (this is a small right ?).

Louis :)

asiantrick

by asiantrick

I'm 100% calling CAP on the weight. There's no way this is under 15lbs. My RIM brake Helium SLX is heavier yet more light weight parts.

CAP!!

RidleyMeThis

by RidleyMeThis

fa63 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:10 am
Nice build, and that is a great weight. It does look like that frame might be a bit small for you, or you simply need a frame that has a much higher stack than the Helium (you are running at least 40mm of spacers, which is often the limit for forks with carbon steerer tubes, with an upturned stem).
Yea, didn't expect the spacers to come out that much talking with the builder. But we decided to start higher and ride it a few times and then work to bring it down. He didn't want to cut lower until I was 110% sure. My current outdoor bike was more endurance geometry so higher stack. My trainer bike is almost a complete match to the Ridley and I have been messing with that bike to see how everything felt. I have rode 3 times and going to remove spacers and then ride again. My guess is at least half the spacer height and flipping the stem will take place.

RidleyMeThis

by RidleyMeThis

asiantrick wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:49 pm
I'm 100% calling CAP on the weight. There's no way this is under 15lbs. My RIM brake Helium SLX is heavier yet more light weight parts.

CAP!!
Honestly I didn't expect to get this low. I knew I'd be around 14.5-14.7 lbs but I think I lucked out on weight of the parts.
RidleyHeliumSLX7.jpeg
RidleyHeliumSLX7.jpeg (75.33 KiB) Viewed 2191 times
There's the shot from the builder after it was complete. He put it back on the scale when I picked it up and I saw the same number. I added the wahoo mount and a rear light mount since.

RidleyMeThis

by RidleyMeThis

LouisN wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:02 pm
The bike would look superb with cut steerer, a -12 degree stem and minimum spacers :).

It's size XS. Working to reduced the amount of spacers and flip stem. Builder wanted to start higher and move down versus starting lower and not being able to add. Shouldn't be an issue for me but since my current bike was more endurance geometry I'd rather start up and bring it down.

asiantrick

by asiantrick

RidleyMeThis wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:08 am
LouisN wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:02 pm

It's size XS. Working to reduced the amount of spacers and flip stem. Builder wanted to start higher and move down versus starting lower and not being able to add. Shouldn't be an issue for me but since my current bike was more endurance geometry I'd rather start up and bring it down.
god damn, no f way.. I'm 100% shocked with the weight. What year SLX is this btw. Nice weight. Sorry for calling you out <3

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Tbf its this is weight weenies we need scale shots when weights are low

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

RidleyMeThis

by RidleyMeThis

After some testing with stem height and length I have it finalized. Lowered it and went to a -6 degree FSA stem. Looks better though I know its not fully slammed...tssk tssk me haha.
Attachments
RidleyHeliumSLX7.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

excellent weight and looks excellent with the lowered stem. the slx was always very light frameset