Specialized Tarmac SL7 49cm 5.9kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

CamW

by CamW

Great looking build. Keen to hear your thoughts on Shigura and the EXS bartape when you've had some time on them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Nixster wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:50 pm
Look good though!
What did you build?
The wheels :D

Gary71

by Gary71

Congrats on how clean this looks.
Can you tell me what you did to get the EXS bar stem to integrate so cleanly with the internal cable routing. Is that a custom conical headset spacer or the OEM headset from Spesh?

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

The integration spacer is included with the barstem, just reach out after order and they'll include it. There is usually one final integration spacer that goes on top of the headset cover, but if you sand down the 1 1/4" to 1 1/8" adapter in height, you can omit that.

Erwin

by Erwin

Great write up, scary story, but you sorted it out perfect. Thanks a lot for showing.
I have two question please:
- How do you like the EXS Aerover (stiffness and form of the drops, upper part)?
- How does the Hylix seatpost fits? Slipping issues? I think clamping of the saddle rails should be quite good. I like them, because if you switch the upper part there is -3mm offset instead of 15mm like you have mounted it.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Erwin wrote:
    Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:39 am
    How do you like the EXS Aerover (stiffness and form of the drops, upper part)?
    Feels as expected! For reference though, my other road bike is a steel with a steel fork, EXS R180 bars, and an S-Works stem. But I have no gripes about the Aerover.
    Erwin wrote:
    How does the Hylix seatpost fits? Slipping issues? I think clamping of the saddle rails should be quite good. I like them, because if you switch the upper part there is -3mm offset instead of 15mm like you have mounted it.
    Fit wise in the frame is perfect. Torqued to spec with carbon paste and I have had no slippage issues. Saddle clamp mechanism sucks though. I'm scared to even get to 4nm with the rear bolt because it just keeps creaking when torquing to spec. But its held fine. I had to sand down the corners of the lower rail clamp because it was catching on my bibs, and even then its wore through 2 pairs of (admittedly already pretty worn) bibs. Thats partially because of the 75.5 STA along with the design of the Lupina though, can't 100% fault the saddle clamp for it.

Ride notes:

• TPU tubes ride like garbage. I did one ride on them, then put on my usual Vredestien latex; it feels like a different bike. With the same pressures, the TPU tubes felt very skittish down a rough descent while the latex felt planted as usual.
    • I may also have to swap over to a 160mm front rotor because I am fat now, but still testing the 140s. Running 140s is more of an aesthetic concern over a weight thing for me, it's only about a 20g difference at most.
    • New wheels are a massive difference over the Hunts. 295g rims are so nice out of saddle.
    • Cassette shifting is unrefined and it runs pretty loud. Might just have to go back to DA but the 16t is nice. 😞

Nixster

by Nixster

dudemanppl wrote:
    Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:03 am
    Nixster wrote:
    Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:50 pm
    Look good though!
    What did you build?
    The wheels :D
    Doh!
    I meant 'what is the spec of the wheels' :D

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Nixster wrote:
    Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:24 pm
    What is the spec of the wheels? :D
    Light Ride 36mm rims
    https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805782413879.html

Goldix 240SL hubs (sorta don't recommend them yet, will have to see how the hold up), which I replaced the bearings with Aliexpress Fushi ceramic/stainless (5.6g savings) and replaced the ratchets with genuine DT Swiss 36t

Sapim Laser straight pulls, Sapim Polyax aluminum hexagonal nipples, rim tape was 2 layers of Joe's No Flats tubeless tape over only the spoke holes.

Light Ride 36x21mm rim 1 - 295.3g
    Light Ride 36x21mm rim 2 - 297.8g
    Goldix 240SL front hub 100x12 - 78.2g
    Goldix 240SL rear hub SH11 142x12 - 167.6g
    24x 281mm Sapim Laser straight pull - 110.0g
    24x 283mm Sapim Laser straight pull - 111.4g
    48x Sapim Polyax aluminum hexagonal nipples - 17.8g
    Rim tape - 6.2g

freepk

by freepk

Hi, very clean and nice build )

Where did you get Hylix seatpost?)

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

eBay

Erwin

by Erwin

Thank you so much for your detailed answer. Really nice build and attention to the detail! How many millimeters have you cut from your Hylix steatpost? 40-50mm?

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

I recall cutting it about 2-3cm under the minimum insert line, so I would have to guess 6-7cm total cut?

LittleSprinter

by LittleSprinter

Hey - do you mind sharing your top of saddle to center of bottom bracket length?

Considering an SL7, kind of a midpoint between the 49cm and 52cm -

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

687mm I think, measured from center of BB through mid rail on saddle to the top.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

dudemanppl wrote:
      Erwin wrote:
      How do you like the EXS Aerover (stiffness and form of the drops, upper part)?
      Feels as expected! For reference though, my other road bike is a steel with a steel fork, EXS R180 bars, and an S-Works stem. But I have no gripes about the Aerover.
      Erwin wrote:
      How does the Hylix seatpost fits? Slipping issues? I think clamping of the saddle rails should be quite good. I like them, because if you switch the upper part there is -3mm offset instead of 15mm like you have mounted it.
      Fit wise in the frame is perfect. Torqued to spec with carbon paste and I have had no slippage issues. Saddle clamp mechanism sucks though. I'm scared to even get to 4nm with the rear bolt because it just keeps creaking when torquing to spec. But its held fine. I had to sand down the corners of the lower rail clamp because it was catching on my bibs, and even then its wore through 2 pairs of (admittedly already pretty worn) bibs. Thats partially because of the 75.5 STA along with the design of the Lupina though, can't 100% fault the saddle clamp for it.

Ride notes:

• TPU tubes ride like garbage. I did one ride on them, then put on my usual Vredestien latex; it feels like a different bike. With the same pressures, the TPU tubes felt very skittish down a rough descent while the latex felt planted as usual.
      • I may also have to swap over to a 160mm front rotor because I am fat now, but still testing the 140s. Running 140s is more of an aesthetic concern over a weight thing for me, it's only about a 20g difference at most.
      • New wheels are a massive difference over the Hunts. 295g rims are so nice out of saddle.
      • Cassette shifting is unrefined and it runs pretty loud. Might just have to go back to DA but the 16t is nice. Image
      How’s the seat post holding up? I plan to order one in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
      Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com