Factor Ostro VAM - Charmeleon

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Corfate

by Corfate

Hello all,

Been meaning to do a write up for a few weeks but kept forgetting... I did the Marmotte in June, and seeing all those super expensive and shiny bikes planted a seed in my head that i must get a new bike... :twisted:

Previous bike was this Cannondale Supersix Evo 2016 - final weight of it was 6.5kg.

Mid build -

Finished product -

Absolutely love the chrome/rainbow decals when they catch the sun. The bike also looks very blue in low light, but more purply, greeny and bluey in full sun :thumbup:

Got a set of Hyper D67's on the way, hopefully be here end of next week. Goal with this one isn't to go 'weight weenie' like i was doing with the Cannondale. 99% of my riding is on the flats round where I live, so the deeper wheels and more aero should hopefully suit that nicely!

I had a bike fit as part of my booking/collection and I've got to say, it's some of the best money i've spent on a bike related purchase. I've never felt as comfortable on a bike before. I mainly booked it to help size the bars and seatpost - i'd have gone 100mm for the bars as per the Supersix, but I actually needed 120's so it would have been an expensive thing to change later down the line!

I got the red crank as a free upgrade as the shop got sent the wrong force axle. I am looking to change the rotors to the Red Centreline ones and also possibly the rear mech to the Red varient purely for the looks, but keeping an eye on ebay for some deals on there :beerchug:

Main reason for going Force was the hood shape on the Red grupo in my eyes is nasty. Looks far too big and bulky. Also, it was a tad too expensive for the ol' bank :unbelievable:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Martijnbls

by Martijnbls

Nice upgrade, looking really good

Nixster

by Nixster

Colour looks great! Lovely bike, how does it ride?
Shame someone knocked the shifters in at some point but easy to fix 😉

Corfate

by Corfate

Martijnbls wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:37 pm
Nice upgrade, looking really good
Thanks dude!
Nixster wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:44 pm
Colour looks great! Lovely bike, how does it ride?
Shame someone knocked the shifters in at some point but easy to fix 😉
Rides beautifully well, it's just super comfortable. I'm not sure how much of that i can attritube to changing from 23c to 25c tyres, and also now running them at 70psi rather than 100 though! I made a mistake here, should have ordered 28c - no idea what i was thinking when i ordered them. Should have gone tan wall too!

Biggest difference is when climbing out the saddle, or getting going again from a stop - the cannondale felt very snappy and dare i say it slightly twitchy. Not sure if that was from the lower weight or perhaps it was a stiffer frame?

There's no doubt that the Ostro is fast though, when at speed it almost feels like it glides along. Again, maybe because i'm more comfy I can hold the more aggressive position for longer... I'm a big fan of the tilted in shifters, uber ergo :thumbup:

Corfate

by Corfate

Now with Hyper 67's, Red Cassette & red rotors - much better imo :)

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Would love this in a rim brake version

liam7020

by liam7020

Nice bike! What shoes are those you're rocking? Cheers.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Corfate

by Corfate

liam7020 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:40 pm
Nice bike! What shoes are those you're rocking? Cheers.
Fizik R1 Infinito Knit Road Shoe :)

Corfate

by Corfate

Managed to snag a proper bargain on ebay, picked up a red rear rear mech for £300 but also included a red chain and red cassette. Pretty chuffed with that, gonna flog the chain and cassette on and recoup most of the money.

I will keep an eye out for a red front mech and if i can get one at a decent price i'll get it. Long term plan would be to change the brake calipers over to red and the shifters, however i'm holding out for the D2 reds when they finally release them as I don't like the current red shifter design.

Also got a new mount for the varia coming to go under the saddle, should make it look a little cleaner :thumbup:

Nixster

by Nixster

Deeper wheels really suit the bike 👍

Corfate

by Corfate

Nixster wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:05 pm
Deeper wheels really suit the bike 👍
Thanks!

Corfate

by Corfate

Sadly the bike is currently out of action as the left shifter has died (goes from full battery to dead within about 5 minutes).

Shifter arrived back at SRAM warrenty this morning, so hopefully a quick turnaround...

Picked up some Vittoria Corsa Pro's in 28mm the other day. Should look pretty naughty with the tan sidewalls!

Until the shifter is back, it's going to have to sit like this...
Attachments
20240422_135933.jpg

minley1

by minley1

Lovely looking bike, really like the Chameleon graphics and colour.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Corfate

by Corfate

minley1 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:28 pm
Lovely looking bike, really like the Chameleon graphics and colour.
Thanks!

Now with Tan tyres :)
Attachments
20240425_195137.jpg