Ryan's Disc Bike #4 (Litespeed T1sl)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

@gurk700, I can save you some time and money based on your list. You have most likely less clearance and this is 100% about feel. I dislike Shimano's brake feel in both rim and disc.I dislike how lever travel becomes abruptly firm at the bite point. For me, peak braking is Campy levers + campy SR dual/single pivot brakes + good alloy rims. You have a nice lever throw that gets progressively firmer through the pull while providing gobs of modulation. Shigura is pretty close to that. I think H11 was slightly better (it's been 3 years) but this isn't far off and is significantly lighter and more aesthetically pleasing.

RyanH

by RyanH

Here's the current build list:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gurk700

by gurk700

RyanH wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:33 pm
@gurk700, I can save you some time and money based on your list. You have most likely less clearance and this is 100% about feel. I dislike Shimano's brake feel in both rim and disc.I dislike how lever travel becomes abruptly firm at the bite point. For me, peak braking is Campy levers + campy SR dual/single pivot brakes + good alloy rims. You have a nice lever throw that gets progressively firmer through the pull while providing gobs of modulation. Shigura is pretty close to that. I think H11 was slightly better (it's been 3 years) but this isn't far off and is significantly lighter and more aesthetically pleasing.
I gotcha. Yeah looks like not something I'm after at this point. Best not try it and like it and get 2 sets for each bike lol.
I do get what you're saying about the abrupt point on Shi though. Funny enough it feels like my race moto back in the day and it's something I'm used to. Every once in a while though it'll be a constant 20% and I'll hit a bump and go 100% brake for a split second within a mm more of a lever squeeze. Sure makes it.... exciting...

RyanH

by RyanH

Took a little longer than expected:

RyanH

by RyanH

Getting close to final, will report back on wheels once I get some miles on them.

RyanH

by RyanH

I can't seem to get these wheels to stop creaking. Any tips or advice? I redid the preload hoping that would help. I greased the heads of the spokes. Swapping wheels immediately makes the bike silent.

bmCube

by bmCube

Torque the thru axles a little more and a small amount of grease at the contact points?

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Are the spokes touching? If they are, then a bit of grease at the intersections. I'm curious to hear your impressions of the Galfer wave vs the Campy rotors.

RyanH

by RyanH

Spokes don't touch where they cross. Galfer rotors seem to be nearly indiscernible from the campy rotors.

Drop outs creaking is an interesting idea. Seems odd that could happen but worth a try I guess.

DHG01

by DHG01

Nice build.

Side question, and reading your comments on tubulars - what are your thoughts on tubulars? Will there be availability during the next 5/7 years?

RyanH

by RyanH

It's an interesting question and something I worry about with my rim brake bikes a lot. I can't get any good modern wheels (well, I can't get what I want which is Bontrager XXX2 or equivalent shallow and wide rim with stellar brake track).

I want to say that with 21mm internal wheels, the benefit gap of the tubular ride and handling has shrunk to something almost non-existent but I'd like to do some AB testing later to validate that. As I'm going through back and forth with R2 on the creaky Extralite wheel it's probably worth investigating if I should get a tubular wheelset instead.

kode54

by kode54

bmCube wrote:Torque the thru axles a little more and a small amount of grease at the contact points?
I use anti-seize on my thru axles on my Ti bike.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

romanmoser

by romanmoser

it's the extralite hubs probably
not the ti
i don't use extra lite stuff
too poor conception and too light oriented

carbon ti or equivalent is as far as I will go
extralite spacers, and too much maintenance service etc needed compared to light but decent hubs ( carbon ti, dt180, princeton )

RyanH

by RyanH

I think I finally figured out the issue. I swapped an Ultegra cassette on and the creaking went away. I swapped 3 different XG cassettes without any difference. When I placed the first cog group onto the splines, I noticed that they can rock front to back so something about the free hub isn't fully flush. With the design of the XG cassette, it must be putting uneven pressure on the center causing the creaking.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Those moments when u work out a creak issue are just beautiful

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com