Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 (rim brake) - rebirth!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Pumablk

by Pumablk

mmaslen wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:12 pm
Light bicycle 45mm rim graphene braking surface

Extralite hubs, and carbon spokes

IMG_2296.jpeg1
Wheels look great and a very impressive weight. Look forward to your impressions regarding the set. What was the lacing on the rear wheel you chose? I know Campy call theirs G3. Is that G4?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mmaslen

by mmaslen

I'm afraid I haven't got a clue what the rear wheel lacing is called. I was out of my depth when it came to picking lacing patterns, so I left it up to LB to decide.

mmaslen

by mmaslen

First ride impressions. The wheels are super stiff. Especially the rear one. When sprinting they spin up super fast, and everything that I put into the pedals was transmitted to the wheels. So quick. First ride and I grabbed a KOM that I had been trying to grab for 4 years. Wheels or all in my head...not sure. But super pleased.

Up hill the bike felt super light and was a real climbing machine. I think this is also down to swapping from butyl inner tubes to tubolites.

Here are pics of the bike complete on my ride this morning...or should I say stationary at the coffee stop!
IMG_2303.jpeg
IMG_2305.jpeg

feynman

by feynman

I like that paint scheme. Nice bike.

Nixster

by Nixster

Looking good!
If you're not sold on the Extralite stem, the Darimo one to match the bars is a great alternative.
And EE brakes. Every rim brake bike deserves EE brakes 😀

mmaslen

by mmaslen

It's funny you should mention the extralite stem. It's working great at the moment, but I'm not sure about the quality for the long term. The bolts are very small and a bit delicate. Time will tell.

I love the performance of the Ultegra brakes, so I would be loath to go with the EE brakes unless they can match and maybe exceed the performance of the Ultegra, and from what I've read, this is not the case.

The other thing I may look into is a lighter crankset, maybe THM or the new darimo cranks when they are released. Been super impressed with the handlebar and seat post from Darimo, the quality is awesome.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Ive got zero complaints with my ees on my basso plenty powerful enough

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

mmaslen

by mmaslen

Worth the upgrade though? Are they better than the ultegra, or is it just the weight that is the difference?

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Tbh i cant conpare as went from shamals and super record calipers to bora wtos and ees .

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Nixster

by Nixster

Didn't go straight from Ultegra to EE as I had SRAM Red Aerolinks in between but EE were a level up from those in performance as well as a decent drop in weight. Aerolinks were no worse braking than Ultegra and were lighter. Centring was so so on Aerolinks but great on EEs.

Caveat to all that is they were not DM.
Didn't know Darimo are releasing cranks - my credit card is frightened 😀

patrickjs

by patrickjs

Hi there, just quick question.
How long is the Darimo post do you have? And how much post exposed from the top tube?

I bought a Darimo 400mm waiting to arrive but worried because from my measurements the minimum insertion indicator will be below the top tube, though the clamping bolt will be in between the clamping are of the post. I have a Canyon Ultimate as well.

mmaslen

by mmaslen

I have a 350mm long post with 180mm exposed. I ride a small frame and I'm 5,11".

Seems to work fine!

flying

by flying

Nice! :thumbup:

Also nice that Canyon stood behind their product.

Wish they would bring that CF SL8
bike back as it was a great deal at $2400 with Ultegra mech & weight even at that was quite nice 15.48lbs

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bikes ... be=BU%2FBK

mmaslen

by mmaslen

Canyon did everything in their power NOT to stand by their product. There were a lot of emails, and phone conversations, with me eventually threatening to take them to court and also showing the various similar faliures that had happened to the same frames across the country. Eventually they backed down. But it was worth the fight to get the frame in the end. I had no desire to go along the disc brake route. Im not a racer, and i dont need them. Ive never thought the bike was holding me back...just the engine on top!

Bike prices have gone crazy, the CF SL8 was a great deal. I think my next bike will be sourced second hand, as there is a huge amount of value to be had.

Next upgrade for me is cranksets. Im looking at either the Cybrei or Skypivot from Panda Podium. Both seem quality bits of kit, and much much more affordable and obtainable than something like a THM.

Roel W

by Roel W

Wait a minute; I see a 12-speed Ultegra R8100 chainset. So Canyon provided you an Ultegra R8100 DI2 12-speed group but you still use rim brake calipers? How is this possible as mechanical R8100 shifters doesn't exist?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com