My Tarmac SL7 and me: a co-weight loss journey

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

As I sit and reminisce over old pictures, I can't help but notice that my bike has gained weight over the years. Maybe I allowed it to let itself go chasing "aero gains" or maybe it just has the "crit bro" build these days. Either way, it's gone from a lean mean fighting machine to a slightly porkier dad bod-esque persona. And as any good significant other should, I had a look in the mirror and can't deny that I've accumulated some mass as well (insert an IASIP Mac meme here). So #relationshipgoals, we're going on a weight loss journey together in search of lighter and leaner bodies.

As we stand, 7.5kg.

I had it down to 7.15kg at one point. But have since swapped out to bigger tires, bigger chainrings, and a longer, heavier cockpit. The frame is pretty light for the 10R frameset at 943g. I briefly, and I mean briefly, considered an S-Works upgrade but $5500 to save 75g seemed excessive and I felt I could better spend my money elsewhere.

Areas of consideration

- seatpost: currently 193g, stock seatpost. Darimo is a good option and would save ~60-70g. Cost: ~$350. I'd probably go with the non-Di2 model to save weight and relocate the charging port to the handlebars. Another option (albeit sketchy) is the AliExpress copy. Slightly heavier, substantially cheaper at around $50. But I'm not sure I trust it, and I don't see longer lengths.

- cockpit: Black Inc bar/stem, weighing in at 337g for 120mm/40cm. A lot lighter than the Tarmac stem/Aerofly combo (180g/232g), and more importantly, more comfortable. I had the Alpinist cockpit on there for a bit but wanted narrower bars, and they don't offer the sizing I want. Looking at the Pro Vibe Superlight cockpit (~150g bar, ~120g stem). I don't want a super aero bar, I don't find them comfortable at all and I ride on the tops a lot. The Black Inc is actually the most comfortable bar I've used. It's slightly oval and fits my hands well. The MCFK bar is another option around 150g and has a nice backsweep. For stems, I know there are some lighter options but unsure how they'd look on the SL7. Comfort is the priority here, so if I can't find a lighter option that is comfortable and looks good, I might just stick with what I have.

- wheels: currently running Light Bicycle AR45 (flyweight front, standard rear), which came in at 1,426g for the set. Craft Racing Wheels look good at around $1,680 and weighing 1,190g, which would be a substantial weight savings. Not sure there are lighter options for that price. For rotors I'm already running Galfer 160/140, weighing 96g/79g. Cassette is a SRAM Red 1190 11-32t, which weighs 196g. I climb a lot so I'm not going any smaller, and this cassette is superlight already. Tires are GP5000 Tubeless (not the S). They're fairly heavy at 289g/296g. Plus sealant. I'm looking at GP5000 clinchers (~221g each according to BRR), plus TPU tubes at 25g each, so around 90g savings. So overall, could save around 300g total on the wheelset.

- cages: Supacaz carbon weigh 22g each. I have some AliEx carbon cages that weigh 7g each I'm going to throw on.

- cranks/pedals: Dura-Ace cranks weighing 635g. Assioma Duo weigh 303g. Could go to SRAM Red cranks and Quarq PM and save some grams and keep the chainrings. But I really like the Assiomas. Rotor Aldu Carbon are another option.

- group set: mostly Ultegra 11-sp Di2. Not sure f going to 12-sp would be saving weight. Could swap out derailleurs but hard to justify upgrading those and staying 11-sp. Going to 12-sp would mean a heavier cassette and unless I went Dura-Ace, I think the Ultegra group is heavier.

Will be posting pics as I get new parts. And will weigh new part against old to see what I'm losing.

The next part is just about my personal weight journey so if you just care about the bike, you can stop here. My own weight has fluctuated wildly since high school. As a senior, I was a string bean at 6'3" (189cm), weighing in at 160lbs (73kg) soaking wet. And I was told by every sports coach that I'd need to gain weight if I wanted to continue playing in college. So I did. By the start of my freshman year of college I had bulked up to 210lbs so I could play football, and hit 220lbs by the next year, solid linebacker build. But after college I started doing more 12oz curls and less actual curls, and dropped down to 210lbs but also lost all of the muscle. I looked at myself in a picture and was embarrassed at what I had morphed into. So I started exercising again and stopped drinking, and within 6 months had dropped down to 175lbs (80kg), my lowest weight since high school. And a weight I felt happy and healthy at. But since then, work and Covid has facilitated some weight gain, and I'm back up to 195lbs (89kg). So I'm ready to drop the pounds on my body and grams on my bike. Because as fun as it is to tinker with my bike and drop some grams, I know the real weight loss comes off the bike. Goal weight is around 175-180lbs, so around 80-82kg.
Last edited by LanceLegstrong on Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

Martijnbls

by Martijnbls

Some nice upgrades incoming I can imagine. I wish you all the best with your weight loss goals!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sanders2177

by Sanders2177

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:35 pm
As I sit and reminisce over old pictures, I can't help but notice that my bike has gained weight over the years. Maybe I allowed it to let itself go chasing "aero gains" or maybe it just has the "crit bro" build these days. Either way, it's gone from a lean mean fighting machine to a slightly porkier dad bod-esque persona. And as any good significant other should, I had a look in the mirror and can't deny that I've accumulated some mass as well (insert an IASIP Mac meme here). So #relationshipgoals, we're going on a weight loss journey together in search of lighter and leaner bodies.

As we stand, 7.5kg.

I had it down to 7.15kg at one point. But have since swapped out to bigger tires, bigger chainrings, and a longer, heavier cockpit. The frame is pretty light for the 10R frameset at 943g. I briefly, and I mean briefly, considered an S-Works upgrade but $5500 to save 75g seemed excessive and I felt I could better spend my money elsewhere.

Areas of consideration

- seatpost: currently 193g, stock seatpost. Dating is a good option and would save ~60-70g. Cost: ~$350. I'd probably go with the non-Di2 model to save weight and relocate the charging port to the handlebars. Another option (albeit sketchy) is the AliExpress copy. Slightly heavier, substantially cheaper at around $50. But I'm not sure I trust it, and I don't see longer lengths.

- cockpit: Black Inc bar/stem, weighing in at 337g for 120mm/40cm. A lot lighter than the Tarmac stem/Aerofly combo (180g/232g), and more importantly, more comfortable. I had the Alpinist cockpit on there for a bit but wanted narrower bars, and they don't offer the sizing I want. Looking at the Pro Vibe Superlight cockpit (~150g bar, ~120g stem). I don't want a super aero bar, I don't find them comfortable at all and I ride on the tops a lot. The Black Inc is actually the most comfortable bar I've used. It's slightly oval and fits my hands well. The MCFK bar is another option around 150g and has a nice backsweep. For stems, I know there are some lighter options but unsure how they'd look on the SL7. Comfort is the priority here, so if I can't find a lighter option that is comfortable and looks good, I might just stick with what I have.

- wheels: currently running Light Bicycle AR45 (flyweight front, standard rear), which came in at 1,426g for the set. Craft Racing Wheels look good at around $1,680 and weighing 1,190g, which would be a substantial weight savings. Not sure there are lighter options for that price. For rotors I'm already running Galfer 160/140, weighing 96g/79g. Cassette is a SRAM Red 1190 11-32t, which weighs 196g. I climb a lot so I'm not going any smaller, and this cassette is superlight already. Tires are GP5000 Tubeless (not the S). They're fairly heavy at 289g/296g. Plus sealant. I'm looking at GP5000 clinchers (~221g each according to BRR), plus TPU tubes at 25g each, so around 90g savings. So overall, could save around 300g total on the wheelset.

- cages: Supacaz carbon weigh 22g each. I have some AliEx carbon cages that weigh 7g each I'm going to throw on.

- cranks/pedals: Dura-Ace cranks weighing 635g. Assioma Duo weigh 303g. Could go to SRAM Red cranks and Quarq PM and save some grams and keep the chainrings. But I really like the Assiomas. Rotor Aldu Carbon are another option.

- group set: mostly Ultegra 11-sp Di2. Not sure f going to 12-sp would be saving weight. Could swap out derailleurs but hard to justify upgrading those and staying 11-sp. Going to 12-sp would mean a heavier cassette and unless I went Dura-Ace, I think the Ultegra group is heavier.

Will be posting pics as I get new parts. And will weigh new part against old to see what I'm losing.

The next part is just about my personal weight journey so if you just care about the bike, you can stop here. My own weight has fluctuated wildly since high school. As a senior, I was a string bean at 6'3" (189cm), weighing in at 160lbs (73kg) soaking wet. And I was told by every sports coach that I'd need to gain weight if I wanted to continue playing in college. So I did. By the start of my freshman year of college I had bulked up to 210lbs so I could play football, and hit 220lbs by the next year, solid linebacker build. But after college I started doing more 12oz curls and less actual curls, and dropped down to 210lbs but also lost all of the muscle. I looked at myself in a picture and was embarrassed at what I had morphed into. So I started exercising again and stopped drinking, and within 6 months had dropped down to 175lbs (80kg), my lowest weight since high school. And a weight I felt happy and healthy at. But since then, work and Covid has facilitated some weight gain, and I'm back up to 195lbs (89kg). So I'm ready to drop the pounds on my body and grams on my bike. Because as fun as it is to tinker with my bike and drop some grams, I know the real weight loss comes off the bike. Goal weight is around 175-180lbs, so around 80-82kg.

Good Day Lancelegstrong what are your thoughts on the Galfer Discs? are you still running them?
S Works SL8 54cm 5.94kgs
Winspace SLC M Ultegra R8150 no idea of kgs

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Sanders2177 wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:49 am

Good Day Lancelegstrong what are your thoughts on the Galfer Discs? are you still running them?
I love them. 96g/79g front/rear compared to 107g/89g for Dura-Ace rotors, so 21g. Some people reported them to be out of true but mine have been perfect. I'd definitely buy again.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

Sanders2177

by Sanders2177

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:42 pm
Sanders2177 wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:49 am

I love them. 96g/79g front/rear compared to 107g/89g for Dura-Ace rotors, so 21g. Some people reported them to be out of true but mine have been perfect. I'd definitely buy again.

Hmmm well the thing is with discs the are occasionally out of true but that's not manufacturing that is due to the journey they make to get to your bike.
Said I would not do it but chasing sub 6kg SL7 which is possible if I swap the wheels depending on wheel depths either 5.88 or 5.98kg
Then the journey starts again if so get sucked onto the specialized marketing train with the SL8 😂
S Works SL8 54cm 5.94kgs

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Weighed the bike today and it's 7.6kg as shown above.

17g saved per bottle cage, 34g total.
19g saved from the Varia/Airtag mount. Airtag itself is 11g.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

Sanders2177

by Sanders2177

Well now the cockpit is installed LBS weighed it 6.15kgs
Think I need to stop now! 😂 I know if I swap the wheels which are 1515 60mm/68mm over to some others at 1280g 50/60mm or 1180g for 40/40mm I can achieve sub 6kg but that involves spending $1680 🤔
Attachments
IMG_9726.jpeg
S Works SL8 54cm 5.94kgs

wolflikeme

by wolflikeme

Let us know how those Criterium RS tires are when you start using them :thumbup:

Sworks Tarmac SL8 - 7.09kg
LS Ultimate (7.89kg), Tarmac SL7 (7.56kg), Aethos (7.00kg), Venge (7.59 kg), Roubaix Team (7.53 kg) - Sold

mashiehood

by mashiehood

ive just put the Criterium RS tyres on my LB Ar45 rims - they do come up to size ie 27mm - for ref the GP5000TT i had on them cam up to 29mm. Ride very nice but be mindful they dont hold pressure too well until about the 3rd or 4th ride.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

New parts incoming. Upgrading to 12-speed di2.

Ultegra 8150 RD: 260g

I bought a Dura-Ace cage and removed the B-link to use a direct mount hanger. Now 219g.

The 8050 11-speed derailleur is 250g (including 16g B-link). So I save 15 grams over the 8050 derailluer by using the DA cage. As far as the tires go, I love them. The ones on the bike I mounted around May and have been riding them all summer. 228g for the 25, 250g for the 27 version. I'm running 27s. So a good bit lighter than GP5000s and less than a watt slower. Plus they look way better. They looked whiter when new, they're more of a light tan now (I hate the transparent GP5000s). Grip is amazing too. I used them for some crits and no issues whatsoever railing corners. The tire in the picture above is a second set for a new wheelset because I liked them so much.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Edco 12-speed 11-34t monoblock cassette. Around 50g lighter than equivalent Dura-Ace. Lets hope it performs as well.

Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

New wheels!!!!! 7.06kg as shown (pedals, cages, computer mount). Size 58

Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Some more parts and weights.

Ultegra 8070 calipers - 122g (without bolt)

Dura-Ace 9270 calipers 101g (84g pictured without pads, 17g for the stock finned pads and bolt)

Ultegra 8050 FD - 129g

Ultegra 8150 FD - 111g (18g saved)

SRAM 1190 11-32t - 195g

Edco cassette as above - 212g (17g heavier but gained 34t cog)
Last edited by LanceLegstrong on Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

Maddie

by Maddie

You can use Shimano brake pads without the cooling fins. They are a bit lighter and also cheaper. For me, brake performance is 100% the same.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Maddie wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:37 pm
You can use Shimano brake pads without the cooling fins. They are a bit lighter and also cheaper. For me, brake performance is 100% the same.
Yea, I just weighed the finned pads and they're 17g. So only 21g saved compared to the Ultegra. Probably could get another couple grams by using non-finned pads.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com