Gen 1 Scott Foil 6.73kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Hey all, this is my second build on here. My first was a Ridley Helium SLX, which met an unfortunate end after an oafish and undiginfied crash. While that was a great bike, I always felt it was a bit big for me - it was a medium, which is 56cm in Ridley's idio-syncratic sizing system. I also started to cotton on to aero considerations, away from pure weight weenie-ism. So the plan was to look for something a bit different.

Luckily, I found a gen 1 Scott Foil frame, fork and seatpost on FB marketplace for a steal.
Bike Ad.jpg
I bought it asap, and of course took some weights. The frame is without any parts aside from a Shimano PF BB.
Frame weight.jpg
Fork weight.jpg
Seatpost weight.jpg
Of course, this all happened while I was moving house then had to do Covid lockdown (close contact), so minimal supplies led to some interesting problem solving.
Bike build.jpg
It's had a few iterations to get where it is now. I've gone down the aero route as much as I can to get it fast, but the ww-ism never really dies!

MAIN BUILD DETAILS
Frame - Scott Foil gen 1
Fork - Scott Foil gen 1
Seatpost - Scott Foil gen 1
Saddle - Ali Express special. Actually the most comfortable saddle for road so far
Bars - "Enve" bars I bought from a guy on eBay. 35cm tops, 40cm drops
Stem - Newmen SL 318.4 SL. 110mm. Updated from Kalloy
Shifters - AXS rim brake. 11 speed firmware
Brakes - Cane Creek EE brakes
FD - eTAP. 2nd hand and hard to find at a reasonable price!
RD - eTAP A2
Cassette Sram Red 11-28
Cranks - Sram Red. 170mm, 130BCD
Chainrings - TA Specialites. 50/38
Wheels - BTLOS 50mm. Extralight layup. Carbon Ti hubs. 20 CXRay spokes front, 24 CXSprint spokes rear
Tyres - Continental S TR 5000. 25mm Tubeless
Garmin mount - Raceware for Enve bars
Bottle cage - Elite Vico

Total weight is 6.73kg, including pedals, bottle cage and garmin mount. I think it's pretty good. :)
Bike weight.jpg
Here it is with cranks in the less photogenic position.
Bike 2.jpg
And a more front-on shot.
Bike 1.jpg
It rides quite nicely I must say. I don't mind a firm ride, so I don't know whether others would like this, but I don't find myself "sore" or "beat up" after a ride, so I think it's a good setup for me.

Aesthetically, I want to get the cranks sanded down and clear coated. If a large wad of cash suddenly appeared on my lap I would probably get the frame stripped and have a minimal (but not totally black) paint scheme done. But for now, I'm pretty happy with it,

Any questions, just ask!
Kurt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Great bike, have some great and safe rides !! I do still love my Scott Foil 1st edition !

tiddytoddy

by tiddytoddy

Would you mind sharing some info on those "ENVE" bars? I'd love to grab a pair for myself.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

tiddytoddy wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:40 pm
Would you mind sharing some info on those "ENVE" bars? I'd love to grab a pair for myself.
PM'd.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Not an upgrade in terms of parts, but hopefully an upgrade in performance. Just bought a hanger alignment tool (fancy, Abbey), in large part because I felt my shifting wasn't as good as should have been.

Holy crap, my hanger is waaaay bent. Gonna have a go at straightening. If I don't snap it then it should be quite a bit better...
Screenshot_20230910_190701_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230910_190635_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230910_190553_Gallery.jpg

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Yep, did not snap hanger, definitely better!

jurez

by jurez

I also have a gen1 foil, lovely bike.
how is the tire clearance for you? think you could go 28mm?

also interested in the bars btw if you can pm me too.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Would you be willing to share how you've covered the various cable holes with the etap conversion? Especially interested in what you've done under the BB (assume there's a larger cable guide hole?)
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

jurez wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:20 am

Will PM when back at work, only have phone at home.

Only running 25mm tyres right now, rims are 26.x ish mm, so that keeps me in the 105 rule. Not sure whether ee's would clear 29mm+ wide rims, which is what I'd want for 28mm tyres.. I'm an aero nerd now.
If possible that would be cool, would modernise it quite nicely, although as it stands I don't mind the ride at all.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

istigatrice wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:48 am
Would you be willing to share how you've covered the various cable holes with the etap conversion? Especially interested in what you've done under the BB (assume there's a larger cable guide hole?)
A bit of a low brow job for some of it - clear silicone on the cable entry on the down tube, and just above the bb. It's actually low key, don't notice it, and I did it because I think some water got in and destroyed the bb.

Luckily the cable bung from a Solace fits perfectly and seals completely, so that's a little more elegant 😁.
It was actually Neeb from this website that put me onto it. He's rejuvenated a gen 1 Foil very nicely.

This is the thread about the Solace bung in a Foil.
viewtopic.php?t=162440&start=15#p1790480

jurez

by jurez

Kurt1980 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:05 am
jurez wrote:

Only running 25mm tyres right now, rims are 26.x ish mm, so that keeps me in the 105 rule. Not sure whether ee's would clear 29mm+ wide rims, which is what I'd want for 28mm tyres.. I'm an aero nerd now.
If possible that would be cool, would modernise it quite nicely, although as it stands I don't mind the ride at all.
just fyi - rear clears 28mm, front no way.

also be careful of the color, placed some electrical tape on the seat tube to see if the 28mm tyre will clear and wont rub so i dont ruin the paint... after a few rides when i saw its good i removed the electrical tape along with the paint. along with a lot of paint.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

jurez wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:22 am
Kurt1980 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:05 am
jurez wrote:

just fyi - rear clears 28mm, front no way.

also be careful of the color, placed some electrical tape on the seat tube to see if the 28mm tyre will clear and wont rub so i dont ruin the paint... after a few rides when i saw its good i removed the electrical tape along with the paint. along with a lot of paint.
:shock:
Duly noted, thanks for the heads up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com