BLITZMASCHINE v1.0 + the process

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

GGDoomed

by GGDoomed

Hi,

I'm pretty much a 'newbie' to the bike game and even more newbie to this forum.
In the context of cycling, here's my journey so far and how I got here :

How it all started : The missus bought "a nice bike" in July 2019 (a Cube Attain Race in Alu with rim brakes) as a bunch of her running club members had bikes and they'd go for sorties around Paris. I wasn't really sold on cycling (yet), so I decided to stick to my ratty commuter for the time being.
I did however, have a look around at LePape when she went for bike fitting and the high-end bikes looked pretty cool.

Fast forward to 2020 May and after some embarrassing rides together with her 'race bike' and my trusty commuter, I got myself a new Cyclocross bike (Alu w/ carbon fork) because I figured I wanted be able ride pretty much wherever, in any weather, but still mostly road surfaces.

Fast forward to 2021 MaySome wheel- tire-, and other upgrades later, after discovering Longchamp and Polygone tracks around Paris, I was convinced that I needed something that eats the tarmac better. So I bought a Cube Litening C:68x frame that was supposed to be my project for the summer, only to discover the wonders of Covid-related supply chain issues..
IMG_1583.jpeg
Fast forward to 2022 May and I had managed to collect all the parts between various shops in France, Germany and Denmark.
Having spent all that time thinking about the build, I had convinced myself to strip and paint the frame as well and as I had spent about a year on reading up online (this Forum quite a lot actually) and watching tutorials on Youtube (thanks ETOE), I was sure that this was the right thing to do.
IMG_3399.jpeg
The in-between : During the month of May, I think I spent about 30h to sand the to raw carbon, maybe more with the fork but I'm not sure because I didn't count the hours at all and just made a total mess of our balcony. I guess it could've gone faster, but I was being extra-careful until I started to get the feel just right.
IMG_3628.jpeg
The process : I started with 400 grit wet sand, then 600 and finally 800 before cleaning the frame with isopropyl alcohol prior to applying the Spraymax 2K primer. 1st coat (wait 24h), then wet sanding/smoothing with 800 grit, cleaning again, then 2nd coat (wait 24h) check for anything I didn't like, 800 wet sand, clean again for the main paint.
IMG_3749.jpeg
IMG_3746.jpeg
I used Montana Metallic Graphite Grey for the main, super-well shaken and gave it 2 coats (same process as above, checking for imperfections and smoothing any unwanted coarseness in between coats), then I used Montana Gold 'Pebble' and Black for the vecotrised logo's I had made and had them printed on car-painting stencil sheets, including a replica for the UCI-sticker since I sanded the original away while stripping the frame.
Then I applied the first Spraymax High Gloss 2K clear coat, waited 24h and wet sanded with 1000 grit to even the levels around the logo's and then 1500 grit all around to remove any orange peel and all-around smoothness. Then the last layer of clear coat, wet sanding with 1500 grit and then 2000 grit to remove any potential orange peel.
The finishing : At this point I bought a polishing tool for my drill, some Meguiar's Ultimate car polish and polished the frame thoroughly, which I have to say, was actually by far the nicest step so far.
Then it was time to actually build the bike, which took me a only a few hours.
IMG_3757.jpeg
Overall, stripping was a long and painful process, painting itself was fast, enjoyable and I didn't make much mistakes, the polishing and building were just pure joy.
I don't live in a house and I don't have a garage, so I used the facilities that were available for me : mostly our balcony, my friend's yard for a makeshift paint booth, our bathroom, our library and last but not the least a nearby parking lot.
I'll be scolded (and probably spat on) by any paint professional, but my rule was that as long as I have a stable and dry place for curing (makeshift booth in our library for example) combined with clean and non-dusty place to paint (makeshift paint booth at my friend's place or balcony), I'll be alright as I can always sand in between and after.
IMG_3725.jpeg
How's it going today : So here she is, Cube Litening C:68X SE "BLITZMASCHINE", size 58. It's hard for me to imagine a 'smoother ride' than this one. I do push it quite a lot at Longchamp and it's definitely made for that environment. As you can see, I'm running a 1X and it gets the job done around Paris, but maybe the steepest climbs in Chevreuse are a bit on the limit.
IMG_3858.jpeg
I'm 188cm tall and I weigh 80-81kg, so the v1.0 is definitely more robust aero-racer than a light weight build, but I consider the weight more than tolerable already being 2,5kg improvement over my previous ride. Probably now in the low 7's, but will check.
I have ideas for the v1.1 to v1.4 updates (saddle, wheels, cassette but add power meter) to shave around 400-450gr, but I now find myself more tempted to start a new AXS build, more dedicated to straight-up WW-stuff (Maybe Cube Litening Air, or other slim-tubed semi-aero thingy..) Or alternatively, attack the old cyclo-cross and make something more fun and flashy out of it, maybe totally polished alu (inlcuding polished brake-calipers and maybe Zipp Service course peripheriques..)

UPDATE It's now June 2023, this post was a draft since August-22 and I haven't started a new build yet. Thinking of a re-spraying the bike again, I put a few thousand Km's on it and there's a few chips now.
:smartass: SPEC-SHEET UP. Whaddya know, she's bit of a porker !
BIKE WEIGHTS.jpeg
Last edited by GGDoomed on Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
FINISHED : Cube Litening C:68X S

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

Well done! DIY Paint booth .. NICE

나의 SM-G977N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

tiddytoddy

by tiddytoddy

This is the exact kind of post I love to see, thank you for sharing. Definitely need a weight and a spec sheet!

GGDoomed

by GGDoomed

tiddytoddy wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:15 pm
This is the exact kind of post I love to see, thank you for sharing. Definitely need a weight and a spec sheet!
Thank you ! I felt like that too and like said, the added level of complexity not having a garage was one reason I thought to share some insight in the first place. Specs coming soon :arrow:

GGDoomed

by GGDoomed

ultimobici wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:46 pm
Nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you ! :beerchug:

GGDoomed

by GGDoomed

Pyotrump wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:40 pm
Well done! DIY Paint booth .. NICE

나의 SM-G977N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄
Thanks ! The circumstances required me to get creative :D

liam7020

by liam7020

Good job! This is the most interesting thread I've seen on WW for many months. Cheers!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

GGDoomed

by GGDoomed

liam7020 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:20 pm
Good job! This is the most interesting thread I've seen on WW for many months. Cheers!
Thank you! I just wish I woudl've taken more photos. :thumbup:

basilic

by basilic

Nice job!
can you pls tell us how much weight you lost from the paint removal and repaint?

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

👏 great job

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com