TriRig Lightbike - Cannondale SuperSix (3554g)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Stillside

by Stillside

I had another thread with a very similar build, and considered just replying to that one. But nearly every component has changed - only the crankset stayed the same if I recall correctly. There are a number of one-off components here, lots of help from other WW members as well as various manufacturers such as Dash Cycles and Fibre-Lyte who also provided one-off versions of their already-impressive products to help us build this thing.

The goal of the bike was to reach ultra-ultra-ultra light territory while being incredibly robust, and without compromising on any functionality. (Now I know the first objection to that statement will be that it doesn't have drops; that's just a quirk I have loved in my bikes for a long time. So for ME, it has all the robustness and function that I want; others will say they'd change X, Y, or Z.) I wanted a bike I could ride on any paved road and be confident in the ride. To hit weights this low and still have that function, I designed a number of parts specifically for this bike (but which will also be sold via TriRig.com in the near future). These include:
  • The brakes - all the power of TriRig's renowned Omega series, but at a fractional weight even LIGHTER than AX or THM brakes.
  • The skewers - based on TriRig's wonderful Styx skewers. Just 21g, but with a standard T25 bolt head for easy wrenching and no specialty tools to lose or fail.
  • THE PEDALS - Yes, Mercury is back and better than ever. LOTS more to come here. But basically, lighter than previous Mercury AND with true ball bearings. Those of you who liked Mercury will absolutely LOVE Mercury SL.
  • The pursuit bar - A lovely 200g bar/stem combo which mates perfectly with ...
  • The controls - brake lever and friction shifter combo that comes in at an insane 70g for both levers AND the rear shifter. Can be set up with a front shifter for about 10g more.
Lots more info will be available soon on the TriRig parts - I'm only a designer now and don't run anything day-to-day at the company. But I know these will all be available to purchase very soon. Oh, and YES if you own existing Mercury cleats, they can be used on the new pedals, and the new cleats will work on the old pedals as well. The new cleats will have improved adjustability as well. I know a bunch of you have been asking about that for a long time, and it's coming!!

Let me know if you'd like a full part list for this bike, I did collect weights and specs for most of the parts as they went on.
Attachments
NR6_7087.jpg
NR6_7248.jpg
NR6_7270.jpg
NR6_7281.jpg
NR6_7291.jpg
NR6_7305.jpg
NR6_7351.jpg
NR6_7366.jpg
NR6_7372.jpg
NR6_7262.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Holy moly! Havent seen a super ww build like this for a while amazing work

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Tubercle

by Tubercle

Insane bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caballero

by caballero

Thats awesome ! The only thing im not for are the bars. I would prefer a regular road bar.

Other than that, its outstanding !!

xsnailx

by xsnailx

cant wait when the brakes / styx will be available :) need them for my extralite ;)

Martijnbls

by Martijnbls

Just wow!

tiddytoddy

by tiddytoddy

Absolutely insane work. Of course we need that full parts list!

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

This is so damn cool. Joining a company as a designer to make your bike lighter is the ultimate WW.

Stillside

by Stillside

Here's that partslist!
Attachments
2023-06-08-WW-partslist-post.gif

Nixster

by Nixster

Amazing weight!
Wondering about why you re-routed the rear brake cable through the top of the top tube and if you reinforced the frame where you drilled it?
Personally I was not a fan of the way C’dale did it through the head tube but interested in your thoughts.

Stillside

by Stillside

Great question! I am REALLY particular about cable routing, and spent an entire working day just figuring out and executing all the routing for this bike. Both the shifter and the rear brake cable are custom routed through the top tube. No extra supports were created, just very very careful drilling, and a few special components. I've done similar things to bikes for over a decade, without issue, so I'm not too worried about the holes causing problems down the line.

The shifter enters via a Jagwire CHA 056 housing stop. The brake enters via a kind of part was originally developed by Cervelo, which they called the "ICS" - these are now popular on lots of different bikes, and I bought mine from Aliexpress, something like this: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801877710717.html - this part is used both at the rear brake entry, AND the shifter exit. Inside the frame, it's just bare cable, with a nylon liner on top to prevent it from ever digging into the carbon. I chose Jagwire Links for the housing; I tested a LOT of different options from traditional housings, to lightweight housings, to three or four different types of segmented housings, to the Tune "Light Stuff" housing. The Links were the best combination of features I wanted for this build, including weight, function, turn radius, etc.

The result is fully internal cables through the frame, nothing exposed to the wind, and everything works flawlessly. It was a major hassle (a lot of which was just thinking and testing), but totally worth it.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

caballero wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 2:17 am
Thats awesome ! The only thing im not for are the bars. I would prefer a regular road bar.

Other than that, its outstanding !!
So you're good with the saddle? If you can sit on that for a few hours than bravo - you're a real man. For me it would be :shock: . But how does that thing not break on the first bump?

Fantastic build. Some serious talent is apparent.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

2 questions: do the Omega SL Brakes work well? Do you know if they'll be available for sale? They're so light!
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

Stillside

by Stillside

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:55 pm
So you're good with the saddle? If you can sit on that for a few hours than bravo - you're a real man. For me it would be :shock: . But how does that thing not break on the first bump?

Fantastic build. Some serious talent is apparent.
Thank you so much! I love the Dash saddle, and find it super comfortable. I was in touch with the Dash guys when they developed the original version of this saddle and consulted with them informally on it. I've been riding the Dash saddles for over a decade and love them both with and without the padding. As far as durability goes, the Dash guys do an AMAZING job on their kit, and they don't sell something unless it is very very robust. I have zero concerns about this setup. Would I ride the Roubaix with it? Maybe not. But any ordinary paved road, I'll ride it without hesitation.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stillside

by Stillside

zappafile123 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:50 pm
2 questions: do the Omega SL Brakes work well?
Oh yes, they work brilliantly. They are as strong as any other Omega brake (and I would know, I designed them all). Even the original Omega was way stronger than ISO standards dictate, and each new iteration has been better. These brakes are the pinnacle of everything TriRig has learned in 12 years of brake design, stripped down to the absolute bare minimum.
zappafile123 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:50 pm
Do you know if they'll be available for sale? They're so light!
YES. Keep your eyes peeled to tririg.com in a month or two ;-)