Pinarello Dyna Steel Retromod 7,8kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

NiloCoppi

by NiloCoppi

I recently acquired a vintage Pinarello Dyna steel frame and am starting my first full custom build. I was looking for a beautiful steel frame in my size for quite some time, and after some time I finally found this marvellous Pinarello Dyna. It was on my watchlist for ages, but the seller initially was asing too much for it. After several significant pricedrops I couldn´t resist any longer and contacted him. We agreed on a deal and a few days later he delivered the frame to me.

Than the search for a fitting groupset began. I quickly realised that it would be way more cost-effective to purchase a complete bike rather than just a groupset. I was on the lookout for Campagnolo Record 10s, 11s or 12s and finally settled for Super Record 11s last gen. I got a pretty sweet deal on a Specialized S-works Rubaix SL4 with complete Super Record 11 speed last gen groupset and a Campagnolo Shamal Mille wheels.

Unfortunately the original stem is way to long for me, so I will have to use a shim and modern stem to get the correct fit. Until now I managed to mount the components, but am still waiting for the cable ends, chain, the shim, bar tape and some tools to be able to get the bike to a rideable state. After that I am going to experiment with stem lenghts, before deciding on which nice stem to get. Handlebar-wise I am thinking of getting the Cadex Road bars, they have a classic look and are only 160g. Chris King headset is already ordered. 8)

As we´re on the weightweenie-forum I would like to get the complete build just below 8kg. Until now I have just weighed the fork, it came in at a whopping 770g! I was curious to find out the weight of the fork, as there is this Columbus Minimal Carbon fork available that weighs just 340g. I will put the bike on the scale later on so I can decide on how much to spend on ww-components.
:beerchug:
IMG_2939.PNG
IMG_2945.jpeg
IMG_2998.jpeg
IMG_3001.jpeg
IMG_3004.jpeg
IMG_3007.jpeg
Last edited by NiloCoppi on Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

micky

by micky

I have very recently just finished to restore a Pinarello Radius frameset and I was thinking to build exactly in the same fashion as yours, with the exact same SR 11s which I should take off from my Passoni and as fo wheels most probably my beloved Hyperon.

The final build you have looks pretty nice but surely deserve a better headset!
Waiting for the final pictures and weight!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiloCoppi

by NiloCoppi

micky wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 8:26 pm
I have very recently just finished to restore a Pinarello Radius frameset and I was thinking to build exactly in the same fashion as yours, with the exact same SR 11s which I should take off from my Passoni and as fo wheels most probably my beloved Hyperon.

The final build you have looks pretty nice but surely deserve a better headset!
Waiting for the final pictures and weight!
Nice! Have you posted it here on the forum?

Do you know what is the difference between the Radius and the Dyna? Did they exist paralell in Pinarellos Line-Up?

I already ordered a Chris King headset. :D

micky

by micky

I didn't post anything yet cause I was still deciding what to do with fork; being a WW member I was even consideing to get a carbon fork from the era but in the end I might stay with the original steel.

As for the era, I think the Dyna is slightly older, but we're talking few years apart, and the Radius is a sort of evolution of the Dyna.
I do own a Dyna in Banesto colors and full Record 8s and I owned many others in the past; they are basically identical and the Radius differ only from the "pressed" tubes at the extreme points where they are welded.

Thumb up for the Chris King headset!

NiloCoppi

by NiloCoppi

micky wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 8:50 am
I didn't post anything yet cause I was still deciding what to do with fork; being a WW member I was even consideing to get a carbon fork from the era but in the end I might stay with the original steel.

As for the era, I think the Dyna is slightly older, but we're talking few years apart, and the Radius is a sort of evolution of the Dyna.
Thank you for the insight, very interesting.

The bike is now kind of ready to ride. Went on a short testride in the city yesterday and it rides exceptionally. I had no long enough brake cable to get the rear brake going, but furtunately the braking surface on these rims is just insane, the initial bite is very similar to disc brakes. :D

I still need to figure out where I want to go with this build. As it is now, the bike weighs 8,4-8,5 kg. It will gain another 100g by adding bartape, bottlecages, rear brake cable und computer mount...

I already ordered a Cadex carbon handlebar. Extralite stem and a new saddle will probably be the next purchase. Unfortunately the choices of white saddles are very limited, I wanted to go white bartape and saddle. As for now I think I will go for the Prologo Scratch M5 Nack white.
IMG_3027.jpeg

NiloCoppi

by NiloCoppi

update:
i fitted the chris king headset and did my first rides - the bike feels great, i feel a lot safer on decents than on my dogma f12.
IMG_3059.jpeg

Today my new pedals arrived, they look great on the bike and are a real eye-catcher. :D
IMG_3079.jpeg
IMG_3081.jpeg
Of course I couldnt resist an ordered the Columbus Minima carbon fork. I still need to figure out what stem lenght i want to use, but when I´m settled on the stem length, I will get the fork, stem, spacers and the seatpost professionally painted. :D

NiloCoppi

by NiloCoppi

Update on how things are going:

I ordered the Columbus Minimal carbon fork, got it painted and installed it. The cockpit area is also finished with a Cadex Handlebar (160g and plenty stiff) and a Extralite 80mm stem. As it stands now, the complete bike with pedals, cages and computer mount weighs 7,8kg. The saddle is a Prologo Scratch with carbon rails.
Further upgrades planned are: new tires and innertubes, get some more things painted blue, install longer derailleur cage along with a lighter 11-32 cassette and maybe some nice carbon wheels.
Attachments
IMG_3413.jpeg
IMG_3418.jpeg

zackus

by zackus

Really sharp looking build. Great call on the fork color and bar tape and saddle white accents.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com