Time Alpe d'Huez 2023

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

SuecoGuatemalteco

by SuecoGuatemalteco

r_mutt wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:52 pm
well, that's a shame. i was thinking that the Deda Superbox was pretty heavy so there would be gains available there
Yes, you're right and I am looking to upgrade it.
It's on the list along with seat post and saddle. I think all these three components will shave of around 400 grams but also like a 1000€. But those components will outlive the frame and tag along to the next bike :)
2023 Time Alpe d'Huez 2023
2020 Bianchi Oltre XR4 *Sold
2018 Giant Propel Pro Advanced
2017 Bianchi Intrepida *Sold
2016 Verenti Technique *Sold

Rone69

by Rone69

SuecoGuatemalteco wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 8:49 am
20230519_204706.jpg

The bike is finally out on the roads. The final weight was a whopping 7,87 kg so I can't say the Time Alpe d'Huez is a WW-certified frame. I will probably get it under 7,5 with a few tweaks but get it under 7 kilos seems like a very expensive stretch. Would be easier and cheaper to just change the frameset. I currently have a pair of Zipp 303 S with 28mm Schwalbe Pro One tires that I got to borrow and also an older 105/Ultegra crankset that I probably will change for Ultegra crankarms with Rotor chainrings.
I also got the Elite Leggero bottle cages (19g) instead of the Elite Custom Race (40g) after the 7,87 weigh in. So the diet has begun.

Longer term components upgrade includes stem (currently Deda Superbox@202 grams), seatpost (currently Deda Superzero@191 grams), saddle (currenty Selle Italia SLR Superflow@200+grams) and some pedals.

More pictures and a full list with components with weights will come.
Please, can you tell us something about the ride quality of the Time Alpe D'Huez?
I am referring to reactivity, to the downhill handling, how does it works climbing hills (reactivity) or on the flat, It is comfortable or uncomfortable? It is good for long rides?
Which s the effective max tyre clearance in mm?
Finally I'd like to your saddle height.
Thank you very much.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SuecoGuatemalteco

by SuecoGuatemalteco

Rone69 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:04 pm
SuecoGuatemalteco wrote:
20230519_204706.jpg

The bike is finally out on the roads. The final weight was a whopping 7,87 kg so I can't say the Time Alpe d'Huez is a WW-certified frame. I will probably get it under 7,5 with a few tweaks but get it under 7 kilos seems like a very expensive stretch. Would be easier and cheaper to just change the frameset. I currently have a pair of Zipp 303 S with 28mm Schwalbe Pro One tires that I got to borrow and also an older 105/Ultegra crankset that I probably will change for Ultegra crankarms with Rotor chainrings.
I also got the Elite Leggero bottle cages (19g) instead of the Elite Custom Race (40g) after the 7,87 weigh in. So the diet has begun.

Longer term components upgrade includes stem (currently Deda Superbox@202 grams), seatpost (currently Deda Superzero@191 grams), saddle (currenty Selle Italia SLR Superflow@200+grams) and some pedals.

Please, can you tell us something about the ride quality of the Time Alpe D'Huez?
I am referring to reactivity, to the downhill handling, how does it works climbing hills (reactivity) or on the flat, It is comfortable or uncomfortable? It is good for long rides?
Thank you very much.
I think it offers a great ride quality and is very comfortable. The first thing I noticed was how smooth and responsive it is.
I have only used it on Swedish roads and the roads here are in general a lot better than most. I haven't really got to test it on real climbs or downhills but on the short hills I think it works great both up and down and I really like how it behaves in corners so I think it will be a new ballgame for me going down long and technical descends.
I've never had a bike that hasn't been good for long rides so I don't know if I'm the right person to answer that question.
I will be using this bike for elite level races.
I recommend the bike, but get in the clear coat (black) to keep the weight down.

Max tire clearance is 28 mm.

SuecoGuatemalteco

by SuecoGuatemalteco

I changed the front wheel from Zipp 303S with Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless 28 mm tires and Dura-Ace rotor to a MCFK 35mm rim, Tune hub with Veloflex tires, regular Continental tube and KCNC disc rotor (total 905 grams).
The total weight is at 7,6 kg.
Longterm goal is quite ambitious at 6,999999kg 😊

Rone69

by Rone69

SuecoGuatemalteco wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:12 am
Rone69 wrote:
SuecoGuatemalteco wrote:
20230519_204706.jpg

Thank you very much.
I think it offers a great ride quality and is very comfortable. The first thing I noticed was how smooth and responsive it is.
I have only used it on Swedish roads and the roads here are in general a lot better than most. I haven't really got to test it on real climbs or downhills but on the short hills I think it works great both up and down and I really like how it behaves in corners so I think it will be a new ballgame for me going down long and technical descends.
I've never had a bike that hasn't been good for long rides so I don't know if I'm the right person to answer that question.
I recommend the bike, but get in the clear coat (black) to keep the weight down.

Thank you very much.

Rone69

by Rone69

SuecoGuatemalteco wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:12 am
Rone69 wrote:
SuecoGuatemalteco wrote:
20230519_204706.jpg

Thank you very much.

The only drawback is the limited tyre clearance, not up to date with current standards/trends.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

What size is the frame?

Got my eyes on these in Black. I for sure will ride a XS, will use SRAM Force (or Red bits if I can afford it) and thinking of some FarSports F1s handlebars or some 1 pc handlebar around 350g~

Ive already committed to a set of Zipp 404. The deal was so good I couldnt pass on it

Maybe Ill get it close to 6.9kgs but that's not important to me. I need a bike that will behave more like an all-rounder since Ive been on an Aero bike for so long, Im getting too old for it

1 thing I find strange they optimized the frame for 28c tires when the current "standard" is 30-32c

velov

by velov

'23 isn't really a new design. Also, Time has been a Euro-centric brand and the prevalence of all-road bikes with 30-32mm tyres in Europe isn't the same as the US.

SuecoGuatemalteco

by SuecoGuatemalteco

g32ecs wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:21 am
What size is the frame?

Got my eyes on these in Black. I for sure will ride a XS, will use SRAM Force (or Red bits if I can afford it) and thinking of some FarSports F1s handlebars or some 1 pc handlebar around 350g~

Ive already committed to a set of Zipp 404. The deal was so good I couldnt pass on it

Maybe Ill get it close to 6.9kgs but that's not important to me. I need a bike that will behave more like an all-rounder since Ive been on an Aero bike for so long, Im getting too old for it

1 thing I find strange they optimized the frame for 28c tires when the current "standard" is 30-32c
Mine is a size Small.

To be honest I don't understand the need for wider tires than 28 mm on a road bike and why you would want it.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

I like future proofing, however, my Domane may already cover that on the side

I see you also have an Oltre which I think is still the current frame geo, how does the Time compare to it? I think the Oltre behaves more like an Aero bike looking at the tubes?

SuecoGuatemalteco wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:32 am
g32ecs wrote:
What size is the frame?

Mine is a size Small.

To be honest I don't understand the need for wider tires than 28 mm on a road bike and why you would want it.

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Do you know anything about the stack height?

I'm quite a bit taller than you, but would like to have a reach of 612mm and XL frameset comes in at 601. From what I read the mandatory Deda Superbox plastic cup and DEDA S-DCR (+8.8mm) still need to be added.

Any chance you looked into if you can slam that stem? My position is pretty dialed in, so I can likely go with an Alanera if it means I can go with the lower DCR topcap and leave out the plastic box. That should put me right around 610mm or so.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

SuecoGuatemalteco

by SuecoGuatemalteco

g32ecs wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:13 pm
I like future proofing, however, my Domane may already cover that on the side

I see you also have an Oltre which I think is still the current frame geo, how does the Time compare to it? I think the Oltre behaves more like an Aero bike looking at the tubes?
I think the Time is way better at handling compared to the Bianchi. Other than that I can't really see any real difference that isn't just made up in my mind. I've sold the Bianchi so it's difficult to compare them now.

SuecoGuatemalteco

by SuecoGuatemalteco

Ypuh wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:33 pm
Do you know anything about the stack height?

I'm quite a bit taller than you, but would like to have a reach of 612mm and XL frameset comes in at 601. From what I read the mandatory Deda Superbox plastic cup and DEDA S-DCR (+8.8mm) still need to be added.

Any chance you looked into if you can slam that stem? My position is pretty dialed in, so I can likely go with an Alanera if it means I can go with the lower DCR topcap and leave out the plastic box. That should put me right around 610mm or so.
Not more than that the measurements are out there ;). Check geometrygeeks.bike.

Well, I live in Europe and could only get a hold of a frame. But I got the Deda Superbox stem for safety but it's a chunky piece so I will go with a Darimo stem when I've had a bikefit.
My friend who is a professional bike mechanic built the bike and he was supposed to slam it, but couldn't because of the Superbox so he kept a few mm.
That Deda Superbox internal routing solution is just a piece of plastic attached underneath a stem.

Fl1p

by Fl1p

g32ecs wrote:
What size is the frame?

Did you continue with the project of Time Alpe d'Huez 2023 frame with Farsports F1 handlebars? I am thinking of doing the same and the Farsports customer support replied that they don't make specific spacer for Time but it should fit with default spacer

Farsports:
"The bike is with fully internal cables routing right ? and what about the headset bearing diameter, is it 52mm ? If so you may use our default fully internal cables routing spacers similar to FSA SMR routing system."

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Fl1p wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:50 am
g32ecs wrote:
What size is the frame?

Did you continue with the project of Time Alpe d'Huez 2023 frame with Farsports F1 handlebars? I am thinking of doing the same and the Farsports customer support replied that they don't make specific spacer for Time but it should fit with default spacer

Farsports:
"The bike is with fully internal cables routing right ? and what about the headset bearing diameter, is it 52mm ? If so you may use our default fully internal cables routing spacers similar to FSA SMR routing system."

Went with a Colnago C68 instead

Just FYI I did get some 3D printed spacers to match the Ceramic Speed spacer. It doesnt match the Vision Metron 5D ACR spacer holes and shape
Attachments
20230810_183855.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com