Scott Addict - Lightweight Winter ‘Hack’

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Unfortunately my Synapse Hi mod has got a crack in the seat tube (having finally got it to 6kg!).

My hunt for a replacement has 3 key elements; reach of a 56 but decent stack (as I don’t like spacers and have an iffy back), fender mounts and road geometry (not too long or slack, and with decent stiffness).

Putting gravel bikes aside, it is a very short list and ended up with a 2022 Addict. Bought the black 20 unseen, with a plan to strip and rebuild with most of the bits off my synapse. Not a bike I have ever seen stripped down or custom built, so thought I would share albeit don’t expect much interest!

Importantly the frame came out ok weight wise (given it is technically a low grade carbon and there is ALOT of it in the downtube and BB.) - 1017 including both hangers.

Fork was 430g but includes the brake hose as i couldn’t be bothered to remove it.

Target weight is about 6.4-6.5kg, with 32mm Reneherse and Magene spider power meter.
Fenders should add about another 500g, so sub 7 in winter clothes.

Stock photo below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beancouter

by Beancouter

So fully built 6.85kg; that includes a heavy seatpost and stem which I will swap out once I have the fit dialled. That should save about 200g. It is also wearing my touring pedals which add 130g. Final weight. So about 6.53kg final weight.

Will also tidy up the hoses around the stem once everything settled in.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

Looks Great!

No option to get the Synapse repaired then?

Ferry

by Ferry

Nice! What are the specifications of the LB wheels?

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Knightyboy27 wrote:Looks Great!

No option to get the Synapse repaired then?
I have a repair lined up but going to drag my heals just In case I can source a replacement at a decent price.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Ferry wrote:Nice! What are the specifications of the LB wheels?
They are Farsports wheels - Feder 35 with RD230 hubs - think my sheet needs updating!

Have a set of Farsports gravel 50 deep, 30 wide coming, again with the RD230 hubs - should be about 1240g

Beancouter

by Beancouter

And with new wheels. Have also ordred some Farsports F1 Gen 1 bars - will add a bit of weight but think will look better

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Why not EXS Aerover?

Beancouter

by Beancouter

dudemanppl wrote:Why not EXS Aerover?
Because (1) Aerover out of stock in my size and (2) PandaPodium (aka China Joe) has the F1 on offer at $239 and thought worth a punt!

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Very cool build. I think there was another Scott Addict (non-RC) build on here but that was the previous generation. I've yet to see someone customize this latest generation with the internal routing. She's a great replacement for the Synapse and very respectable weight as well.

The geometry is a bit odd though. They kept the reach almost the same as the Addict RC and just added 20mm of stack. Usually these 'endurance' bikes have less reach. The Addict RC is already one of the longest bikes out there.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

iamraymond wrote:Very cool build. I think there was another Scott Addict (non-RC) build on here but that was the previous generation. I've yet to see someone customize this latest generation with the internal routing. She's a great replacement for the Synapse and very respectable weight as well.

The geometry is a bit odd though. They kept the reach almost the same as the Addict RC and just added 20mm of stack. Usually these 'endurance' bikes have less reach. The Addict RC is already one of the longest bikes out there.
You are right - I dropped stem length by 10mm to bring it back to my ‘normal’. The big difference between the RC and this is the Fork axle height which is nearly 400mm, which I even longer than the synapse (which is about 20mm longer than normal!)

iamraymond

by iamraymond

400mm is quite long. I imagine they spec the forks like that to achieve the more upright position without resorting to a massive headtube and keeps the bike look more proportional. Plus, you gain some more room for tire clearance and fenders.

tiddytoddy

by tiddytoddy

What saddle are you using? I love the look of it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beancouter

by Beancouter

tiddytoddy wrote:What saddle are you using? I love the look of it.
It is from AliExpress - made by Elita and weighs 92g.

I have bought a nunber from Ali under the EC90 branding, at 116g, that work well for me. I spotted the elita a couple of weeks ago, which looked very similar but saved a few grams and thought I would give it a try. Aside from weight difference, it is also slightly flatter which I like and has 7mm rails (which I need for my Specialized seatpost). I think I prefer it but need a few rides first

They also do a more padded version which I have ordered for my new MTB.