All-City Zig-Zag - Budget-ish Metal Disc - 9.045kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

14sandee

by 14sandee

Hi all,

I posted this thread a while ago as I started looking for something to replace my Emonda SLR:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=171954

After much deliberation I ended up with this, an All-City Zig-Zag:
DSC_0373.JPG
It doesn't quite meet all my original criteria (I wanted something a bit racier, and with internal cabling) but it was a good deal (600GBP including the Chris King headset and Hope BB!) and so will serve as my first intro to modern steel bikes. I love my Emonda, and intend to keep the frame pending a future true-WW rebuild when I'm not on a student budget - it's unfortunately had a couple of minor repairs so I'd never get anything anywhere near as light again for what I could sell it for! In the meantime I've thrown away my WW credentials almost entirely - although I personally think 9kg isn't bad for a steel frame with discs and alloy wheels!
DSC_0368.JPG
To summarise the build:
- 55cm All-City Zig-Zag frame
- Ultegra R8020 groupset from my old Emonda
- Prime carbon bars/Zipp SC Sl stem/Bontrager ti-railed saddle also from the Emonda
- Just Riding Along Map Superlight sub-1400g alloy wheels from the Trek
- USE EVO91 carbon seeatpost - 43% heavier than claimed which I'm very dissapointed in; will hopefully improve when I get round to trimming it - it's a 400mm post as that was cheapest so there's a lot to go!
DSC_0369.JPG
The full build spreadsheet is available here with the weights I could get - I tried to dissasemble stuff as little as possible so I couldn't weigh everything, sorry:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
DSC_0372.JPG
All-City Zig-Zag / Custom Trinity / Crockett / 2014 TCR / Tom Bromwich Singlespeed / Kinesis "Kermit" Pro6

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kroem

by kroem

Looks great!! Love that colourway.
Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)

14sandee

by 14sandee

kroem wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:49 pm
Looks great!! Love that colourway.
Cheers! It's a stunning paintjob; far more interesting than the metallic grey of my previous bike.
All-City Zig-Zag / Custom Trinity / Crockett / 2014 TCR / Tom Bromwich Singlespeed / Kinesis "Kermit" Pro6

tarmackev

by tarmackev

That's a damn fine looking bike. I love the All City bikes bikes but they go against my weight weenie nature.. That being said I cantotally see why people buy them.

I love the pro wrestling names of some of their models.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

image.jpg
Hope you don't mind but I thought I'd post my Zig-Zag here. It's 9.2 kg all in which I'm happy with as that includes full metal mudguards.
Built as a winter/rain bike. I've got racier bikes if I want to go fast but this bike is a pleasure to just cruise about on in all weathers.

Drivetrain is Dura Ace shifters, 42t Garbaruk chainring, 9-39 e*thirteen cassette, Galfer rotors, Ultegra long cage rear mech and Juin Tech GT-F brakes which work great. I think the frame being entirely externally routed helps the cable brakes. Long cage mech handles the cassette absolutely fine and nothing like a Wolf Tooth was required.

Wheels are Vel 35 GRSL2 Carbon ones with 32mm Vittoria Corsa N.EXT's set up tubeless.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

daneferrari

by daneferrari

CampagYOLO wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:19 pm
image.jpg

Hope you don't mind but I thought I'd post my Zig-Zag here. It's 9.2 kg all in which I'm happy with as that includes full metal mudguards.
Built as a winter/rain bike. I've got racier bikes if I want to go fast but this bike is a pleasure to just cruise about on in all weathers.

Drivetrain is Dura Ace shifters, 42t Garbaruk chainring, 9-39 e*thirteen cassette, Galfer rotors, Ultegra long cage rear mech and Juin Tech GT-F brakes which work great. I think the frame being entirely externally routed helps the cable brakes. Long cage mech handles the cassette absolutely fine and nothing like a Wolf Tooth was required.

Wheels are Vel 35 GRSL2 Carbon ones with 32mm Vittoria Corsa N.EXT's set up tubeless.
It looks very stylish!