Wolf's Litespeed Ultimate

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

wolflikeme

by wolflikeme

I've been considering a titanium frame for the better part of two years and I finally decided to go for it. Really wanted something classic and durable that I will hopefully have for a long time. Currently riding an SL7 that will be used as a donor bike with the aim to rebuild the Tarmac later this year. Would love to get the Litespeed as light as possible but I know that will be tough with the frame weighing so much. Current build list has the LS coming in around 7.8kg with pedals/cages/mounts. First bit of business will be swapping the Rapides for Alpinists (-285g) and getting a Darimo seatpost which will get rid of the seatpost shim (-116g).

Last edited by wolflikeme on Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sworks Tarmac SL8 - 7.09kg
LS Ultimate (7.89kg), Tarmac SL7 (7.56kg), Aethos (7.00kg), Venge (7.59 kg), Roubaix Team (7.53 kg) - Sold

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

My M/L Litespeed T3 disc frame came in heavier than that and it weighs 6,825 grams. While your at it order the Darimo sub 4 clamp since the one that came with your bike frame is heavy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wolflikeme

by wolflikeme

Juanmoretime wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:52 pm
My M/L Litespeed T3 disc frame came in heavier than that and it weighs 6,825 grams. While your at it order the Darimo sub 4 clamp since the one that came with your bike frame is heavy.
Thanks, I went with a Tune seatpost (12g) for now. Any issues with the Sub 4 ? Makes me a little nervous to be honest.

LS Ultimate (7.89kg), Tarmac SL7 (7.56kg), Aethos (7.00kg), Venge (7.59 kg), Roubaix Team (7.53 kg) - Sold

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i've seen the sub4 snap. i personally would not get it. you are better off with the 10-12 gram seatclamp and you will have no worries.

Nixster

by Nixster

I’d say that’s a good weight for a titanium frame, what size is it? My Chinese custom frame is 1563g for roughly 52cm.
The fork on the other hand…

Carbon Ti do a lighter alloy seat post clamp and expander you might want to consider.

wolflikeme

by wolflikeme

Nixster wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:17 pm
I’d say that’s a good weight for a titanium frame, what size is it? My Chinese custom frame is 1563g for roughly 52cm.

Carbon Ti do a lighter alloy seat post clamp and expander you might want to consider.
Size small which roughly equates to a 52cm. Fork is a bit heavy but it will be cut, not much else to do there I'm thinking. Doesn't seem like switching to an Enve fork would save much weight. Carbon Ti expander is on the list :thumbup:

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Nixster wrote:
Highly recommended. The seatpost clamp looks great and the expander gets the job done (I did have to overtorque it by 2nm to get it secure, as the recommended setting didn't allow me to properly torque the cover).
Last edited by FIJIGabe on Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

[quote=mike post_id=1797431 time=1680099870 user_id=124]
i've seen the sub4 snap. i personally would not get it. you are better off with the 10-12 gram seatclamp and you will have no worries.
[/quote]

Mike was right. My Sub 4 snapped today. JRA!

PeanutButterCups

by PeanutButterCups

wolflikeme wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:49 am
Nixster wrote:

Your current expander is actually better than the Carbon Ti as it gives more contact area but it is heavy. I have the Carbon Ti, it’s okay but not the best design for the inside of your fork steerer, it’s too minimal and can allow the fork steerer to bulge around it. 2 cents.

Size small which roughly equates to a 52cm. Fork is a bit heavy but it will be cut, not much else to do there I'm thinking. Doesn't seem like switching to an Enve fork would save much weight. Carbon Ti expander is on the list :thumbup:

wolflikeme

by wolflikeme

About 250 miles on the bike now. I must say that I find myself missing my SL7 a good amount of the time. The Litespeed feels a bit smoother to ride and I feel a little less fatigued at the end of a ride but I miss the immediacy of the Tarmac. I don't think that the Tarmac is objectively faster (or much faster at least) but it certainly feels a lot snappier. Happy with how the LS is turning out but I might end up rebuilding the Tarmac at some point.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

THe tarmac will be snappier and responsive. I view titanium bikes (except for the Lynskey 6/4 ti bike) as comfort rides with slightly delayed movements not so much as racing rides.

JenShawn

by JenShawn

Very exciting! Looking forward to seeing the final build. I'm sure it'll look great and ride even better!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nixster

by Nixster

So what weight did it come out as?
Carbon for the snap, it was the same with my Supersix Evo, but if you don’t race then smooth is very seductive!