Yonex Carbonex SLD 540g

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

mike wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:54 pm
That unfinished frame is not pretty at all. The yonex paint distinguishes it from any generic Asian frame out there
The layup application looks neat and the sanding around joints was done with care

apply a coat or two of clear and it'll look as spectacular as any gloss carbon Time frame

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

The quality seems to be something that parts from the norm. The insides are fantastic!
Don't sand it to save 69g!

Talking earlier gen Ax lightness vs later. Ax lightness chosed to make the frame stiffer and more durable.
What they focused on were ride feel, or rather not make it worse by increasing stiffness.
Earlier Ax frames had some problems with cracks. I know since i have had 4 of them.
Vial Evo d, Ultra and now Vial Evo Race.
So i've been on one from 2015 and my last was shipped here 21/12 -2018.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alfonso

by Alfonso

Hello.
There was a lot of difference in weight between a frame and another vial evo D, ultra and race.
What a pity that Ax Lightness will increase the weight of its frames because I have always had it and I consider it a brand of very light components, but safety always prevails more than weight.
I was about to buy an Ax frame that was over 750 grs in size M and I discarded it for that price there are more brands and cheaper than Ax. If it had been 650 grs or less, I wouldn't have doubted it because I have a lot of Ax components and I'm very happy with them.
There aren't many brands that are over 650 grs or less in weight. Extralite, cervelo Rca, yonex and some old spin...
The frames I'm talking about are rim brake, not disc brake.
All the best.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

:shock:

eric01

by eric01

How tall is the headset spacer for internal cable routing? Was looking at the geometry sheet and the head tube is shortish. Maybe because of the spacer?
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

eric01 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 1:16 pm
How tall is the headset spacer for internal cable routing? Was looking at the geometry sheet and the head tube is shortish. Maybe because of the spacer?
12mm

Bazzman1968

by Bazzman1968

Can't wait to see it completed going to be very impressive. Cheers Baz

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

The front thru axle came with a multi tool T25 and 6mm allen. But not going to use it.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

Anymore progress?

News of LB's new 180g rims got me thinking exactly how light a disc brake bike could be built up right now.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Quick update:
I didn’t go all out weightweeny because I intend to race it. I went with solid Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 R9170 11s, lightest electronic groupset, and Zipp 303 Firecrest Disc Tubular Wheels. My S-Works Tarmac SL7 and S-Works Shiv TT Disc are still 11 speed so wanted to just swap wheels. Unfortunately, the hydraulic of the right STI of my SL7 was leaking so had to remove from the Yonex. Waiting for the new right STI I ordered so I can finish this build. Spec sheet and better pics soon.😉
Weight @ 5,84kg. 🪶

Thanks for looking. 🙏

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Very nice and great weight bit sad you didnt go completely weight weenie but thats outweighed by it being raced

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

rafa

by rafa

That is a very cool frame. I didnt know Yonex even made one.

In the tennis community Yonex has been gaining a lot of popularity, and they rackets are known to have one of the best, if not outright best, quality control.

RDY

by RDY

rafa wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:38 pm
That is a very cool frame. I didnt know Yonex even made one.

In the tennis community Yonex has been gaining a lot of popularity, and they rackets are known to have one of the best, if not outright best, quality control.
I periodically email them to bother them to make an updated version of the Aeroflight with disc, integrated cable routing and clearance for 32mm tires and sizes up to 58 or 60. Usually they reply politely saying that they'll take feedback into consideration for future product development. A Japanese friend does the same as he wants exactly the same thing ... apparently he got a 'watch this space' type of response re: disc / cable / tire clearance - but I'll believe it when I see it if they make a frame bigger than a 52 or 54.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Not as fast as the SL7 on the flats, but climbs like a goat. Knock on wood.
Surprisingly stiffer on the bb than the SL7. I really thought it would be similar to the Aethos(noodle) because of the weight. I think it has something to do with the Torayca, reminds me of my Pinarello Dogma F10 stiffness. I love it.
Now, I'm contemplating if I will build up the SL8 I pre-ordered or sell it. 🤔