2000 LeMond Zurich Resto Mod

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MrStop

by MrStop

Greetings. I just got back into cycling a few years ago after a nearly 25 year hiatus. After riding the 1987 Celo Europa I bought in highschool for a bit a buddy offered to sell me his old 2000 LeMond Zurich. It had a ton of miles on it and needed a bit of love, but it was nice to have brifters rather than the old downtube shifters.

I love riding an older steel frame bike. It stands out in the crowd of carbon sameness on group rides. Also, until people get to know me, I'll field questions and comments like "is that steel?", "must be heavy." I just say "yep." As a fairly strong and slender rider, they are often amazed when they can't keep up with their shiny new CF aero bikes.

Anyway, my goal is to do a resto-mod on the bike. I'm slowly modernizing the bike with more aero and lighter components while keeping the classic look of the frame. My hope is that I can go a bit faster with the same effort and turn heads doing it.

Pictured is the bike when I bought it. It had the original Ultegra 9-speed. Only upgrades were a Thompson Elite Stem, 3T Mutant handlebar, and Profile Design Quill Adapter. Bike weighed about 9.5 kg with Shimano Ultegra Pedals and no accessories.
Attachments
IMG_6105.JPG

MrStop

by MrStop

By the end of the 2022 riding season, I have performed the following upgrades:

Headset: Inicycle Conversion
Stem: Uno Advanced Project 7 100mm
Handlebar: ToSeek ZXB-TWO Carbon Fiber Aerobar - 40 CM
Tape: Silca Nastro Piloti Bar tape

Seatpost: Elita One Carbon Fiber 27.2mm x 350 with 20mm offset UD Matte Black
Seatpost clamp: Lexon 31.8mm black - aluminum with titanium screw
Seat: Forte Pro SLX

Tires: Continental GP5000 700x25mm
Tubes: Vittoria Latex 25-28 48mm valve

Brake Cable Set: Jagwire Road Pro
Shift Cable Set: Jagwire2X Pro

The bike is now at 8.9 kg with Shimano Ultegra Pedals and no accessories. Pardon the untrimmed headset, I'm playing with bike fit.

IMG_20221229_170005.jpg
Last edited by MrStop on Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrStop

by MrStop

I just received my new wheels. I purchased Elite Drive 50V Ultralight version on a Black Friday special. The weight for the set came in at 1330 grams with rim tape installed. The factory Rolf Vector Comps weighed in at 2027g with tape. I'm looking forward to the huge reduction in wheel weight when climbing or hitting any incline!

I also bought a new saddle (pictured in previous post). It's a CF Selle knockoff at 118g.

The bike with the new saddle and wheels should hit just below 18kg.

Here's a pic on the bike testing out wheel fit. I'll be adding some new GP5000 28mm tires. I
IMG_20221229_161518.jpg
Last edited by MrStop on Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrStop

by MrStop

Next up on the list is to upgrade the groupset and brakes. I need new calipers to properly clear the wider Elite Drive wheels. I would love to just jump to 12-speed, but keep it all mechanical. That obviously presents some challenges given Shimano and Sram abandoning the ethusiast mechanical shift market.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

I would keep the original ultegra group set on that bike or go to a dura ace of that generation.

MrStop

by MrStop

What's the fun in that?😂

I need a bit bigger range in the back cassette. Probably something like an 11-32 for some mixed mountain/flat rides this spring. Jumps seem to be pretty big on a 9 speed cassette.

Gary71

by Gary71

Beautiful bike. I'm like you in that I have bought all the shiny new toys (CF; disc brakes etc) and find a quality made bike with nice wheels, tyres and touch points brings more joy than the hollow buzz of the latest and greatest.
I reckon you should find a quality DuraAce 9100 series 11 speed mechanical and whack that on. Their latest DA mechanical shifting was surperb and fits nicely with the quality of the frame.
The same could be said for Campagnolo's 12 speed mechanical.
Either choice would be perfect IMHO

MrStop

by MrStop

Thanks for the note. Unless I can score a great deal, Dura-Ace 9100 or Campagnolo 12-speed might be a bit rich for this build. I had been thinking about a $500 budget and piecing together a 2x11 or 2x12 groupset from a mix of new/used components: viewtopic.php?p=1782978#p1782978https:/ ... 8#p1782978

I'm currently leaning towards a SRAM based setup using a mix of SRAM/Sensah mechs and Ultegra brakes to keep cost and weight down. I have been struggling what to do with a crankest though. If I go with a Praxis or SRAM RED crank to shave weight my budget is being pushed to closer to $800 depending on what deals I can find.

MrStop

by MrStop

Mounted up the tires this afternoon to the new Elite Drive 50V wheels (610g/710g) and skewers (96g). Running Continental GP5000 700x25C tires (244g ea) I was going to install latex tubes, but the valve was too short, so I went with Ride Now TPU tubes (36g ea) I had on hand.

I was hoping my old Ultegra 6500 calipers might work temporarily, but there wasn't any clearance for the 28mm rims. Unfortunately I'll have to put off the first ride until I get my new calipers.😭
IMG_20230101_183712.jpg

MrStop

by MrStop

Bought some Ultegra BR-R8000 off of ebay last night. I tried to pickup a set of Sram Red calipers on auction, but was outbid. It would be nice if the brakes got here Wednesday before the temps drop again.

tomsneo

by tomsneo

Can't wait to see it complete looking good so far, I ditched my 10speed for a new groupset I'm with ya!
Masi 3VC SL
S-Works SL7
Supersix Evo HM Black INC

MrStop

by MrStop

I can't wait to see what 0.7kg (1.5 lbs) off the wheels feels like on the hills and the deeper, more aero profile on the flats!

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

I love these steel LeMonds from this era; often I look on that auction site or locally for good condition framesets or bikes, but just haven't pulled the trigger. My brother in law had one at the time they were still a current model. I had no idea that the stock Rolfs were so heavy! Looking forward to the complete build!

MrStop

by MrStop

It's a great bike. I wish it was a 2001 or 2002 Zurch. While I'm not quite a fan of the colors for those years, they went to a mondern threadless headset. They also used Reynolds 853 Pro Team tubing which shaved a little bit of weight. I have been following the LeMond market and I think they are starting to head back down to reasonable levels.

The new brakes came in today, so I'm working on getting them setup tonight. While I don't like to ride in the cold, I think I'm going to have to brave it this weekend!

MrStop

by MrStop

And yes, those Rolfs are super heavy. They also get twitchy in cross winds. I'll be interested to see if the new, deeper wheels are better or worse in cross winds.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com