2000 LeMond Zurich Resto Mod

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MrStop

by MrStop

Had my inaugural ride on the new wheels and brakes. Bike is now at 8.1kg with the new wheels and brakes.

Wheels felt nice, but it is weird riding such a wide tire! Super happy about the brake feel. I was worried the new calipers wouldn't play nice with the old Shimano 9-speed levers. They felt much better than the original calipers and stopped with no problem.

IMG_20230107_163022__01.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rothwem

by rothwem

Cool bike! I had a 2002 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, such a good bike. I bought it new but decided around 2017 that it needed some love so I "restomodded" mine too with 10 speed Force stuff and some other parts I had laying around. It was never that light, but it was a great riding bike and it also handled really nicely. Sadly, rust got to it and it cracked a couple years ago. I still have the frame hanging in my home office, my wife hates it there but hey, its my bike and my office.

With these bikes btw, you can cut a LOT of weight by swapping the fork out, my stock fork was a pig and yours is probably worse since its a threaded steerer that's probably steel. I put a Columbus Minimal on and dropped over a pound.
IMG_E5501-2.jpg

MrStop

by MrStop

rothwem wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:14 pm
Cool bike! I had a 2002 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, such a good bike. I bought it new but decided around 2017 that it needed some love so I "restomodded" mine too with 10 speed Force stuff and some other parts I had laying around. It was never that light, but it was a great riding bike and it also handled really nicely. Sadly, rust got to it and it cracked a couple years ago. I still have the frame hanging in my home office, my wife hates it there but hey, its my bike and my office.

With these bikes btw, you can cut a LOT of weight by swapping the fork out, my stock fork was a pig and yours is probably worse since its a threaded steerer that's probably steel. I put a Columbus Minimal on and dropped over a pound.

IMG_E5501-2.jpg
Great looking bike. Sad that it succumbed to rust. I had some surface rust on mine when I bought it, but stabilized it last year. Internally the frame looked clean though. I bought some reproduction decals from velocals before they closed shop. I may repaint the bike yet this winter if I get around to it.

You're right, the fork is heavy. It's carbon fiber and steel and weighs 567g. I also have an Innicycle conversion headset to convert the 1" threaded fork to 1-1/8" threadless. It's a slick design, and weighs less than the factory headset and standard quill adapter, but it still adds considerable weight to the assembly. Uncut, the Innicycle headset weighs 241g. Unfortunately 1" threadless carbon forks are hard to come by these days that fit a 28" tire and I really don't want to spend a ton of additional money on the frame. That said, I have found and considered some Alixpress forks (<$100 USD) and a new headset that would probably shave 350+g from the system. Depending on my final groupset selection, I could be close to a 7kg steel bike.

rothwem

by rothwem

MrStop wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:25 am
rothwem wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:14 pm

IMG_E5501-2.jpg
Great looking bike. Sad that it succumbed to rust. I had some surface rust on mine when I bought it, but stabilized it last year. Internally the frame looked clean though. I bought some reproduction decals from velocals before they closed shop. I may repaint the bike yet this winter if I get around to it.

You're right, the fork is heavy. It's carbon fiber and steel and weighs 567g. I also have an Innicycle conversion headset to convert the 1" threaded fork to 1-1/8" threadless. It's a slick design, and weighs less than the factory headset and standard quill adapter, but it still adds considerable weight to the assembly. Uncut, the Innicycle headset weighs 241g. Unfortunately 1" threadless carbon forks are hard to come by these days that fit a 28" tire and I really don't want to spend a ton of additional money on the frame. That said, I have found and considered some Alixpress forks (<$100 USD) and a new headset that would probably shave 350+g from the system. Depending on my final groupset selection, I could be close to a 7kg steel bike.
The Columbus Minimal I bought was "only" $300. Its a pretty solid deal for a full-carbon fork, and 28mm tires fit fine in there. A budget is a budget, but I thought the Columbus fork was a pretty solid value.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shoppin ... IpEALw_wcB

MrStop

by MrStop

rothwem wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:47 pm
The Columbus Minimal I bought was "only" $300. Its a pretty solid deal for a full-carbon fork, and 28mm tires fit fine in there. A budget is a budget, but I thought the Columbus fork was a pretty solid value.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shoppin ... IpEALw_wcB
You got me really looking into forks last night. It seems like a very cost effective way to shave weight (although we are well beyond the point of diminishing perfomance returns weight wise) Glad to hear 28mm tires fit fine on that fork. I think I have found some shops in Europe that might sell the Columbus fork for closer to $200 if I can find it in stock. It's likely worth it for peace of mind. I also like the shape better than the cheaper forks I have seen on ebay/alixpress. The shape looks much like the factory fork. Not sure if I would paint it to match the bike, or leave it black. Your's looked real good with the black fork.

If I go the new fork route, there won't be much left of the original bike outside of the frame Lol.

MrStop

by MrStop

I guess I'll have to start looking at headsets and whatknot also...

MrStop

by MrStop

I have almost all the parts in house. Just need to get the Ratio Technology 12-spd ratchet. While I'm waiting, I did install the new crankset:
  • Bottom Bracket - SRAM BSA DUB (no spacers) 71g
    Bottom Bracket - SRAM BSA DUB 3mm Spacer 2g
    Crank Arms - SRAM RED D1 DUB Carbon 172.5mm 340g
    Spider - Quarq AXS Dzero Power Meter 110BCD 125g
    Chainring - Praxis Buzz 52/36 10/11/12sp 154g
    Chainring Bolts - Truvative Aluminum Black 8g
My new setup is right at 700g total. The old Shimano Ultegra 6500 setup was at 908g. Shaved a bit of weight and added a power meter to my setup (which also shaves 11g off my rideout weight by eliminating a seperate cadence sensor). Bike weight is now down to 7.9kg.

IMG_20230204_133850.jpg

RC51rydr

by RC51rydr

Man, glad I found this thread! Here is my 2002 Zurich with Ultegra 6800 and Deda DAVS fork to save more weight.....coming in at 8.6kg. Would like to get it lighter but also dont have the budget for it. It was a really fun build and now very into steel bike builds even after building and riding serveral carbon bikes. This is my second steel resto mod build....first was a Trek 560 Pro with Reynolds 531.
Attachments
Zurich.jpg

MrStop

by MrStop

Sorry I missed your post. Your bike looks fantastic! I wish mine was an 2001 or 2002. You have a bit lighter frame with the tubing and the modern head tube gives you a simpler setup and more fork options. Yes, you are at the point of having to spend a lot of money to really get the weight down though.

I haven't done an update, but I been having a blast on my build this season. I'm currently at 7.7kg. I have a new carbon fork that I haven't installed that should drop me to 7.3kg. The setup has been great so far. The only issue I have is occasional drops off the small chainring. That has mostly been rectified by more careful shifting. I probably need to add a chain catcher. The bike handles and rides fantastic now, likely due to te new wheels. I'm able to climb and maintain speed over hills much better.

I'm sure there may be some marginal gains in going to a carbon frame, but I like being different.

discreetly

by discreetly

MrStop wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:17 pm
Sorry I missed your post. Your bike looks fantastic! I wish mine was an 2001 or 2002. You have a bit lighter frame with the tubing and the modern head tube gives you a simpler setup and more fork options. Yes, you are at the point of having to spend a lot of money to really get the weight down though.

I haven't done an update, but I been having a blast on my build this season. I'm currently at 7.7kg. I have a new carbon fork that I haven't installed that should drop me to 7.3kg. The setup has been great so far. The only issue I have is occasional drops off the small chainring. That has mostly been rectified by more careful shifting. I probably need to add a chain catcher. The bike handles and rides fantastic now, likely due to te new wheels. I'm able to climb and maintain speed over hills much better.

I'm sure there may be some marginal gains in going to a carbon frame, but I like being different.
Is yours a 57cm? I saw that you were going to use 700x28 but ended up with 700x25 - did the 700x28 not fit? I have a 57cm here and wanted to run 700x28's.

MrStop

by MrStop

Yes. Mine is 57 cm. I am running 700x28 and they fit fine. The new wheels are a bit wider though so if you are going that route, you will need to upgrade your calipers to something modern to handle the increased rim width.

discreetly

by discreetly

MrStop wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:07 pm
Yes. Mine is 57 cm. I am running 700x28 and they fit fine. The new wheels are a bit wider though so if you are going that route, you will need to upgrade your calipers to something modern to handle the increased rim width.
Thanks. The clearance on the chain stay is okay and no rubbing when out of the saddle?

I have an Ouzo Pro in the front and it looks like there was some room for a 700x25...not quite sure about the 700x28.

MrStop

by MrStop

Chain stay clearance is plenty. I'm still running the factory fork and there is clearance there as well.

discreetly

by discreetly

Thanks. Do you think a 700x30 can fit?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrStop

by MrStop

There's maybe 2-3mm clearance with the 700x28, so not a lot of room. I'm not sure how much taller the 700x30 is though. I would see if you could borrow a freinds or a tire from a shop if you were curious. I'm not sure what rims you are running, but you could get an aero penalty if the tire is too wide for the rim (if that matters to you).