Ti29 full suspension

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

facelessfools

by facelessfools

Hello all,
Sold the 29er hardtail single speed I had for a while. So I have since decided to build up a titanium mountain bike. I was always a fan of the Funk so I was looking at getting one until I found some people had ordered ti frames from titancycle. They made the frame to order and I finally got it in.

The suspension is going to be a dt swiss OLD 120mm fork paired to a Scott nude TC. They both include a cable lockout so they will get paired to the dt swiss lever. The rear shock needs some specialty hardware to mount into it's sleeve. I'll post pictures of that when I get there

If anyone knows where I can find a service kit or identify what o-rimgs I'd have to order to service these that would be awesome.

The forks steerer is super short so all that will probably work is a syntace flatforce. I have room for a single spacer at the moment.

Brakes are hope tech e4. I wanted the x2 but they were impossible to find so I settled on the e4. The weight penalty for better braking is a win I guess.

Wheels I got a pair of bontrager kovee pros but pretty heavy. I am considering building a light bicycle 924 wheelset with carbon spokes. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

facelessfools

by facelessfools

More photos of the weightsImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

facelessfools

by facelessfools

The two brakes appear to both be cut to rear length. I had to double check it was the correct lever side.

Ignore my mess...ImageImageImageImageImageImage

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Its already looking real nice, looking forward to the end result

facelessfools

by facelessfools

Here are some pictures of how the welds look. I'm no expert but they look very clean. Ignore the grease marks on the frame.

The shock mount is a little odd... It is a 13mm aluminum rod seated into two sleeves. My Scott nude shock has a 10mm eyelet so I had to order some assembly parts. 10mm ID X 13mm OD bushings, o-rings, and 10mm rod. The sleeve opening is also not wide enough for the eyelet so will need some grinding.

The frame did not include an axle and was missing one of the bolts used to clamp the shock. ImageImageImageImage

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Very nice. Almost as impressive as that coin rack on your wall!

facelessfools

by facelessfools

So I goofed and the set of Kovee Pro TLR's i purchased are not in fact compatable. I believed the hubs were 240's based on my research and I guess they are... But they are Boos specific hubs. Making them non compatable with the 15x100 fork.
Instead I ordered some cheep orange hubs to match, Ti spokes and LB 924's.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/22518327 ... _shipto=US
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568035 ... _shipto=US

The spokes weigh 3g at 270mm so i will be approx 3.3 per... times 56...185g/$285
nipples ... 25g
rims claimed 500g/$600
hubs 315g/$137
total system 1025g/1022USD

Tallboy

by Tallboy

I'm enjoying the orange parts on ti frame. Really nice bike
"I want to absorb all of your pop culture"

facelessfools

by facelessfools

Got the hardware situation resolved. Upper bolt used the stock hardware with the bushings being drilled to 8mm. The lower body needed 13mm OD to 10mm ID bushings. Those had to get rounded as they protrude the carrier. The carrier needed some removal to fit the shock. Lastly, o-rings to take up some of the play between.
The carrier only allows for <5° of play before contacting the shoulders of the carrier. I will have to file those down so they don't create an issue later.
Been trying to get my CX bike back together the last few days... Went from 2x10 sram red to 1x11 sram force. The rear mech was for a different bike but the mtb mech I got used was clearly bent enough it wasn't working properly.ImageImageImageImage

NiFTY

by NiFTY

How much travel in the rear flex stay? I would be worried about that fatiguing to death at the BB weld. Bike looks sick though.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

scant

by scant

NiFTY wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:37 am
How much travel in the rear flex stay? I would be worried about that fatiguing to death at the BB weld. Bike looks sick though.
bikes like the ibis silk ti were using this flex design back in 2001 without issue.

facelessfools

by facelessfools

Well I had to order different hardware for the shock. Turn out the dt swiss ball bushings offer way too much lateral movement. Once installed the rear triangle wobbled horribly. So 16mm bushings are needed to replace the dt swiss ones. Unfortunately one of the 16mm bushings was the wrong size so waiting on the correct one to ship now... The Ti spokes are yet to ship anyway.

facelessfools

by facelessfools

Light bicycle 924s arrived!
Chinese hubs with an acceptable weight too!
Still waiting on the Ti spokes to be shipped. ImageImageImageImageImage

tonytourist

by tonytourist

When I ran the DT fork on a Yeti back in the day I used an Extralite axle, lots of grams saved over the DT one!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanW

by DanW