Building my stable: Aero, climbing, CX, gravel

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Possibly expanding my stable. Do separate aero and "climbing" bikes make sense these days? I've been thinking of buying a new bike or a few. I want an aero race bike, like, all out aero super bike. Madone, Aeroad, Venge or something similar. I do mostly crits with a couple road races, mostly flat but a couple with some climbing. I just want to go fast. I don't care too much about comfort over 2-3 hours, because I'm also looking for a light "climbing" bike something like an Aethos, TCR, or Factor O2 VAM. Super light and fun to ride. Don't care about aero, I just want a light bike that comfortable and fun to ride for the majority of my rides. Aero bike for racing, light bike for fun riding.

So here's where I am. I have a Tarmac SL7 and a Crux (new version). Would there be much use going from an SL7 to something more aero? Is there that much difference? Or would I be better off getting some deep section wheels and dropping my position? The other part would be dropping the weight on the crux and have it be my do it all bike. It's already awesome on gravel and racing CX, the question would be road riding. Could I get it to be a capable road bike for fun rides? And what's the lightest 2x option I could get for a crankset? Shimano Di2.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components