Stillside's 3950g generic road build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Stillside

by Stillside

Hey Mike,

I love the suggestions! I've got some questions/feedback for you.

The emonda could definitely be lighter in the frame, but will also represent a significant loss in the seatpost area. The emonda has that proprietary metal monstrosity, plus standard clamp. My current saddle + post combo is just 105g ... okay, 110 since we should include the seatpost clamp to compare to the emonda. I'm game to swap frames if it will save grams in total, but we have to consider that tradeoff. Ideally any new frame would have a round seatpost clamp in size 27 (current post) or 31 (which Dash also makes and I could use the current 35g saddle on top of this post).

The titanium nitride chain only saved about 8g compared to the PYC on there now, so I returned it. $300 for 8g wasn't a place I was that despreate to achieve, just yet.

My math shows the Torno LTD crankset about equal to the Fibulas, but maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah I have the skyline skewers, and they do save the 22g. If I'm getting that close to hitting 3500g, they will go on.

Bdop cassette doesn't save 15g. It saves no g at all. I have one here with the same tooth count. It came in about 4g lighter than the recon, but required additional spacers to properly work on the freewheel, negating the savings.

Tufo tires ... there's a <100g tufo out there? I'm afraid "road rideable" is a hard requirement for this bike. As mentioned I don't want to lose function.

Handlebar ... Those Bongtragers on eBay look lovely, but they don't fit the schema here. Yes there are lighter bar/stem combos out there compared to the Aduro. But not ones that will work with my 78g lever/shifter combos. For the complete cockpit, I'm not sure there's much savings to be had.

Stillside

by Stillside

Mike's frame suggestion got me searching ... and I see that the Cervelo RCa might be what I'm after. I think my Dengfu frame is more like ~850g, so the RCa could save about 200g, which is worth pursuing. This might shave some more grams in the headset and bottom bracket as well. The quest goes on ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

I had to make a proprietary post for the edmonda which weighed like 110 grams. The stock edmonda was an anchor for sure. Good luck with the weight savings! I forgot to mention use the tune plastic stuff housing and save 30-40 grams. Also preload the headset and then tighten stem and remove the fork expander which saves 15-50 grams depending on what was in there before, do not used a top cap and bolt and just use cleat 3m tape to cove the stem.

RyanH

by RyanH

A more economical option if you replace the frame is a 2012 to 2015 Supersix Evo HiMod. It'll be a better bike than the RCA in my opinion anyway (assuming the RCA isn't much different than the R5ca that I had).

The frame has a bottom bracket in it, a 70g one if I recall correctly.

C36

by C36

Has Ryan suggests, a SS Evo-1 frame would be lighter, coupled with an evo2 fork even more.

An evo2 frame would be a bit heavier but quite stiffer (and has a 25.4 seatpost)

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

I forgot to add the kcnc ti cables for shifters and derailleurs. You could save 30-40 grams

MichaelK

by MichaelK

C36 wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:14 am
Has Ryan suggests, a SS Evo-1 frame would be lighter, coupled with an evo2 fork even more.

An evo2 frame would be a bit heavier but quite stiffer (and has a 25.4 seatpost)
The Evo2 moves to a PF30a bottom bracket though.

My vote would be for an Extralite SCR-058. BB30, 27.2mm seatpost.

Stillside

by Stillside

Hey Mike,

I do have the KCNC cables, just not installed yet. I think they'll save 10-20g at max. I also tried the Tune housing, but it didn't save nearly what you're estimating. It is maybe 10g over this build, as I already have very light stuff on there, and very little of it. But in my testing it was much gummier, we lost braking performance using the Tune stuff so I went back to standard.

Stillside

by Stillside

mike wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:44 pm
Also preload the headset and then tighten stem and remove the fork expander which saves 15-50 grams depending on what was in there before, do not used a top cap and bolt and just use cleat 3m tape to cove the stem.
Well, not quite as much savings as you'd like. The current setup of Ultrastar 4.0 plus the integrated topcap+bolt is about 9g total. So if you had a zero gram replacement it would save 9 grams. I'm not happy removing the expander completely ... I tend to like my forks to stay intact and not crack. There was previously the press-fit expander replacement, from Schmolke or something similar, that would have saved 4-5g from the current setup ... but it's already so light currently that I don't think I'll change it.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

I forgot to swap out the headset bearing with fsa ultralight red bearings. You could save 10-20 grams if you replace upper and lower

Stillside

by Stillside

Good idea. But as mentioned, I'm using Cane Creek AER, same weight. They're the same idea as the FSA red, using aluminum bearing housing. I couldn't find FSA bearings with the correct race angles, but did find them in Cane Creek AER.

jaclipse

by jaclipse

Love these builds...remind me of the British hill climb bikes.

Stillside

by Stillside

Ok ok ok ... you guys got me curious enough. So I found a nice cheap SuperSix Hi-Mod and I'm gonna see what I can do with it. I have a bunch of mods planned:
*removing all the external cable routing bosses, full internal routing ONLY
*remove all paint, of course
*remove front derailleur hanger
See where we go from there!!

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

You will save lots with paint removal of frame and fork. At least 80 grams savings

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

You could tune the huret jubilee derailleur to 66 grams saving you 43 grams. Wally318 did it
Attachments
469B3CF4-0425-4D7F-B347-20CE07756572.png